Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by illico
Inquiring for my parents who are taking a vacation to NYC and are interested in staying here. They are kind of security nuts and would like to know if the elevators have key card access?
No. The riff raff are free to traipse about the property unencumbered by the weight of a key card.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy
No. The riff raff are free to traipse about the property unencumbered by the weight of a key card.
lol. thanks for the quick reply.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:19 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I can't tell you for this property but I've stayed in 5 other SPG properties in NYC and none of them have had key card access in the elevator except for the Club lounge floor.

At the Sheraton NY at night you're supposed to show your key card to security on your way to the elevator lobby, but most folks don't seem to bother.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by illico
Inquiring for my parents who are taking a vacation to NYC and are interested in staying here. They are kind of security nuts and would like to know if the elevators have key card access?
Stay away. It baffles me that the Westin brand people allow this mismanaged property to be called a Westin as they certainly don't adhere to the brand standards that make Westin, well a Westin.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
A few months ago this property refused to store my NYC guests' suitcase overnight (they were checking in the next day) because of "NYC security concerns." So I suppose they do employ their overwhelming concern for security when convenient.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Tell your parents: the St. Regis and the W NY on Lexington require a key.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Does the hotel have a lounge? Breakfast for Gold?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Does the hotel have a lounge? Breakfast for Gold?
No and no.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
What's the closest (less expensive points wise) SPG property to this property?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:18 am

I called to ask if the hotel can take delivery of items and keep for me before I check in. They said yes, but there is a "handling fee" of between $8 to $15 depending on how big the item is. Likewise luggage storage attracts a fee. Guess this is the sort of unionized crap practice similar to the Grand Hyatt NY. You pay close to $400 a night and still have to pay for delivery of packages and storing of luggage?!

As a result I'm thinking of cancelling my reservation and booking another corporate hotel instead.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I called to ask if the hotel can take delivery of items and keep for me before I check in. They said yes, but there is a "handling fee" of between $8 to $15 depending on how big the item is. Likewise luggage storage attracts a fee. Guess this is the sort of unionized crap practice similar to the Grand Hyatt NY. You pay close to $400 a night and still have to pay for delivery of packages and storing of luggage?!

As a result I'm thinking of cancelling my reservation and booking another corporate hotel instead.
Do it, and let us know which Manhattan hotels don't charge such fees.

Cheers,
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

this is very chancy. I would not stay at a hotel that charges this, if I needed it.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

The thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ling-fees.html started as a complaint about The Westin Grand Central but when you read through the thread, you will see package handling fees are very common at hotels. Good luck finding a NYC hotel, that you would be willing to stay in, that will not charge one.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Think this is starting to become a common practice as I was hit with a $5 package handling fee when sending something to the W Atlanta Midtown last month. It was worth it though as I really needed the item shipped and they brought the package up to my suite.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:57 am

There are plenty that do not charge fees. Aloft Manhattan Downtown does not. Neither does The Lexington. Nor The Algonquin. Nor Andaz Wall Street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.