Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
...at a particular hotel/city/location?
Sorry, I thought the topic header would be enough context.

Anyone have any recent experiences at any of the Starwood properties in San Francisco to share?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:17 pm

Looking "up-thread", it appears you were asking back in February, before tentatively choosing the Palace.

Now I have some context. I don't have current information on any of the three properties you mention. The Le Meridien protesters come and go.
-----QUOTED -------------
"Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has any recent experiences that could help me decide among the various SPG properties in San Fran. Planning a 3 night getaway with the Mrs doing mostly touristy stuff, dining, shopping, etc.

Did a quick search for tenative dates this summer and am trying to decide between the following:

Westin Market - 12k per night
Palace - 12k
St. Regis - 25k

I am SPG gold so my odds at landing an upgrade will factor in addition to overall general recommendations.
"
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by dkauf
Sorry, I thought the topic header would be enough context.

Anyone have any recent experiences at any of the Starwood properties in San Francisco to share?
I couldn't get into the Palace this week. Instead am at Le Merdien. The rooms are nice enough and all are quite large by SF standards. The "upgrades" are really about how high up you get and what your view is. Let's just say my room is not on a very high floor. Location is a toss-up vs. the Palace in general (it's about a 10 minute walk between the two). The gym is much nicer, but the Palace does have an indoor pool if you're into that. Breakfast amenity is close, but the Palace is always going to win this battle for me. The restaurant at LM is good, and you can get $15 off any menu item as your amenity.

The one thing that really irks me about LM is the service. There is nothing specific, but it just feels like I'm more of annoyance to the staff than a guest. I guess one example would be at check-in. At 6pm on a Monday every businessman in town is in line to check-in. Two clerks were working the line and a manager was standing there at one of the 4 computers on the phone. With 10 people in line. She couldn't care less about the line of people waiting there. I get it, you have important calls, but don't take them out front while a line of people stare at you. This has happened both times I've stayed there. Same woman, too.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I recently got a chance to sample two SPG properties in San Francisco; It was not by choice but I was walked from the Westin St Francis immediately after a flight from London (not quite the welcome I'd hoped for).

Night 1 - Palace Hotel. 2 double bed room. The room seemed to be in pretty poor shape with marks on some furnishings. However, bed was comfortable and bathroom not too bad (not what you'd expect from a Luxury Collection hotel though). Internet was unusable (0.85 down and 0.01 up) - glad I didn't have to pay the $15 fee. Forgetting the room, I very much liked the rest of the hotel (bar, service, pool, etc)

Night 2 - Westin St Francis - View Tower Room (booked non-view Tower Room). Recently refurbished to a very high standard. Much more impressive than the Palace and comparable with my preferred SF hotel (Intercontinental). I was provided an apology gift (wine/fruit) which was very much appreciated. Again, good facilities in hotel (particularly liked breakfast). Staff seemed to be either excellent or poor - I've had to chase for refund of first night deposit (finally received on my card today despite the stay being on 17/18 July) but front desk staff seemed to handle the walk pretty well.

Despite the problem, I would probably consider the St Francis again as long as I had a similar room.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidw70
I recently got a chance to sample two SPG properties in San Francisco; It was not by choice but I was walked from the Westin St Francis immediately after a flight from London (not quite the welcome I'd hoped for).

Night 1 - Palace Hotel. 2 double bed room. The room seemed to be in pretty poor shape with marks on some furnishings. However, bed was comfortable and bathroom not too bad (not what you'd expect from a Luxury Collection hotel though). Internet was unusable (0.85 down and 0.01 up) - glad I didn't have to pay the $15 fee. Forgetting the room, I very much liked the rest of the hotel (bar, service, pool, etc)

Night 2 - Westin St Francis - View Tower Room (booked non-view Tower Room). Recently refurbished to a very high standard. Much more impressive than the Palace and comparable with my preferred SF hotel (Intercontinental). I was provided an apology gift (wine/fruit) which was very much appreciated. Again, good facilities in hotel (particularly liked breakfast). Staff seemed to be either excellent or poor - I've had to chase for refund of first night deposit (finally received on my card today despite the stay being on 17/18 July) but front desk staff seemed to handle the walk pretty well.

Despite the problem, I would probably consider the St Francis again as long as I had a similar room.
If they are walking you as a Plat and making you chase the refund I wonder what they do to Golds. Pretty brutal for a walk as you have described it.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:55 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by davidw70

SPG is pretty generous on walks for elites -- you get both the points you originally would have earned on the stay plus the number of points you would have needed to get a free night at the property, i.e. 12K points for a Cat5, in addition to having your first night comped. Make sure you take advantage!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ld-member.html
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by colerc
SPG is pretty generous on walks for elites -- you get both the points you originally would have earned on the stay plus the number of points you would have needed to get a free night at the property, i.e. 12K points for a Cat5, in addition to having your first night comped. Make sure you take advantage!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ld-member.html
Thanks for this - certainly not what I've received/been offered so far. I will read the thread in some detail and then try SPG again.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
Any reason why I can't use my Suite Nights at the Palace? I'm booked on points for 5 nights in early Jan and says this hotel is not eligible.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by venkol
Any reason why I can't use my Suite Nights at the Palace? I'm booked on points for 5 nights in early Jan and says this hotel is not eligible.
call up the plat line ... I've had this happen a few times and the problem seems to magically go away. I've emailed my ambassador the times I have cared and he did something to make it work.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Any reason why I can't use my Suite Nights at the Palace?
I just had two clear for this weekend (Fleet Week).

I'm booked on points for 5 nights in early Jan and says this hotel is not eligible.
Are you sure you have sufficient SNAs that expire next year (i.e., you qualified for Platinum in 2014)? Are you sure they're not already being used for other reservations?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I just had two clear for this weekend (Fleet Week).

Are you sure you have sufficient SNAs that expire next year (i.e., you qualified for Platinum in 2014)? Are you sure they're not already being used for other reservations?
Yes, I have 9 SNAs that end Dec 31, 2015. I will try the Plat line suggestion.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'll be at the St. Regis this weekend for 3 nights (SNA upgrade to Astor Suite from superior room, nice!), then back in a few days for 2 nights at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf (no need for comp suite upgrade but hoping), and the back at end of month for 2 nights at W (no need for comp suite but hoping). I was tempted to try out the new Westin Market St but will probably go check it out if time allows.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: Jetblue Mosaic, Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Anyone have room advice for the Palace (Deluxe vs. Market Street vs. City Lights vs. New Montgomery St)? If it is anywhere near as loud as the Market St Westin assume I want to be high floor. In SF a more recently and finding the renovated tower rooms at the St. Francis sold out more often than not. Also would be open to other alternatives, unfortunately seems like the W tend to spike pricing whenever the St. Francis sells out. St. Regis isn't always an option unfortunately...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I don't think a high floor at the Palace will help you much because a high floor there is not very high.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by eastofthemississippi
Anyone have room advice for the Palace (Deluxe vs. Market Street vs. City Lights vs. New Montgomery St)? If it is anywhere near as loud as the Market St Westin assume I want to be high floor. In SF a more recently and finding the renovated tower rooms at the St. Francis sold out more often than not. Also would be open to other alternatives, unfortunately seems like the W tend to spike pricing whenever the St. Francis sells out. St. Regis isn't always an option unfortunately...
I ALWAYS request an interior room at the Palace. There are only 8 floors, so the "high" floors don't get you away from street noise. If you had to choose between Market and New Montgomery, Market is actually quieter. Traffic is slowing as it approaches the light there, whereas on New Montgomery, you get to hear every motorcycle rev its way through the intersection. Also, in the early morning you get garbabe/other trucks out on those side streets off New Montgomery. Nothing beats "BEEP BEEP BEEP" at 6am - except maybe the "DING DING" from the Powell-Hyde cable car from one of the older rooms at the St. Francis overlooking Powell Street. Worst night of sleep...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.