Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Starwood Hotel in Scottsdale/Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
I've stayed at the W Scottsdale and both the Sheraton and Westin in Downtown Phoenix and think they are all fantastic. I would decide primarily based on location (do you want to be in Phoenix or Scottsdale) and which brand you tend to prefer - all three are some of the best in class for each particular brand.

I'd give a slight edge to the W Scottsdale and Westin for their Plat 100 recognition and the Westin probably has the best shot of a nice upgrade (though the W does pretty good for Plat 100).

Ultimately though, it seems like its hard t go wrong in Phoenix/Scottsdale for SPG properties.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question a new SPG option at PHX

Originally Posted by bostonbali
I need to stay need the airport, and have the choice between two hotels based on availability and corporate price limits:

* Sheraton PHX Airport
* Aloft PHX Airport
Thanks!
I have the same query as bostonbali? I am looking for a cheap one-night PHX airport stay. None of the options sound great, based on SPG reviews:

*Sheraton Crescent (3.8/5 on SPG);
* Aloft PHX (3.7/5);
* Sheraton PHX (3.6/5, now under const'n!)

Now I see a new option - unrated:
* 4 Points by Sheraton Phoenix South
Anyone have any experience with this new property?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Tempe is close to the airport.

Another option is downtown Phoenix, where IIRC both the Westin and the Sheraton are very close to the light rail line to the airport.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I have the same query as bostonbali? I am looking for a cheap one-night PHX airport stay. None of the options sound great, based on SPG reviews:

*Sheraton Crescent (3.8/5 on SPG);
* Aloft PHX (3.7/5);
* Sheraton PHX (3.6/5, now under const'n!)

Now I see a new option - unrated:
* 4 Points by Sheraton Phoenix South
Anyone have any experience with this new property?

I travel regularly to PHX, and have stayed in all the Starwood hotels in Phoenix and Tempe.

The Sheraton Crescent has newly remodeled rooms. If you are plat, you have a good chance to get upgraded to a club room. They have central air conditioning that is very quiet. However, they do not have a free shuttle to the airport.

The Aloft Phx is adjacent to the airport. The hotel has a free shuttle, and I believe one of the airport bus shuttles to the metro line drops you off across the street. Out of the hotels on your list, I had the worst experience in terms of hearing you neighbors next to you and above you. The bed was good though.

The Sheraton Tempe is a few miles away from the airport, but has a free shuttle. The room is good, but I am glad they are renovating since the carpets were showing their age. There are wall units used for AC that can be very loud depending on the room you are assigned. Bathrooms are a bit small. Club lounge offers the usual hors d'oeuvres at night, but offers hot and cold breakfast items in the morning which is a big plus for me. The food at the restaurant is good, but service can be slow at times. There are not other restaurant options within close walking distance.

I went to the Four Points Phoenix South a few days after opening. They had not finished renovations on all the floors at the time. As expected, it was a newly renovated room. They have central air conditioning. Bed was firm, and the bathroom was very small. You will get some freeway noise if you are on the freeway side of the hotel. Hotel restaurant was good. There are other restaurants across the street.

From your list, if you can deal with wall unit AC, I would stay at the Sheraton Tempe. If you want quieter AC, but can deal without the services of a club lounge, I would choose the Four Points Phoenix South.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:29 pm

Antonio, do you have AAA membership? If so, the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown may be an option for you. Their AAA pre-paid rate this Summer is the lowest for any Starwood hotel in the area.

To get there, take the metro line from the airport. It will take you a few blocks from the hotel. I was there a few weeks ago, and was upgraded to a suite. Large bathroom with separate shower and tub. There are a good number of restaurant options.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Thanks to all for the replies!

spghotescapes.com has 2 great rates for last minute travel:

http://www.spghotescapes.com/search/Phoenix
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Can anyone compare the Kierland Resort to the Desert Oasis Villas? We are looking to visit Scottsdale for March 2015 Spring Training but would like a resort that has a nice pool for the kids. Normally we would stay at the JW Desert Ridge which has a fantastic lazy river but the standard rooms are a bit small. The Sheraton Villas are about $100/nt cheaper than Kierland but the few FT reviews are not so great. I've visited the Westin which I found impressive, but I fear the standard rooms might be a bit small for 4 and not optimistic about a Gold upgrade during a busy time.

Update: Should I consider the Phoenecian? The rates for a 600sf room are comparable to the 530sf villa @Kierland.

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 18, 2014 at 12:39 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Desert Oasis v. Kierland

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Can anyone compare the Kierland Resort to the Desert Oasis Villas? We are looking to visit Scottsdale for March 2015 Spring Training but would like a resort that has a nice pool for the kids. Normally we would stay at the JW Desert Ridge which has a fantastic lazy river but the standard rooms are a bit small. The Sheraton Villas are about $100/nt cheaper than Kierland but the few FT reviews are not so great. I've visited the Westin which I found impressive, but I fear the standard rooms might be a bit small for 4 and not optimistic about a Gold upgrade during a busy time.

Update: Should I consider the Phoenecian? The rates for a 600sf room are comparable to the 530sf villa @Kierland.
Have stayed in most of the Phoenix properties. The Desert Oasis is very family friendly. Rooms are fairly spacious. It is not upscale, but very comfortable. Lots of kids. The Kierland is much more upscale, but for a family, not worth the difference in price. If I was going as a couple, without kids, I would opt for Kierland. The Phoenician is very nice, but, in my opinion, not family oriented. The crowd, when I have stayed there, would not have been happy with children running around.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Bump to this thread. Considering my first visit to Scottsdale with a lady friend and am curious which property will most fit our preferences (pool, room, service and overall visual appearance - no interest in golf).

My initial searches make it look like the Phoenician has a notable edge over the Westin Kierland or the W.

I'm a SPG Plat and will be using points + SNAs for a two night midweek stay.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Bump to this thread. Considering my first visit to Scottsdale with a lady friend and am curious which property will most fit our preferences (pool, room, service and overall visual appearance - no interest in golf).

My initial searches make it look like the Phoenician has a notable edge over the Westin Kierland or the W.

I would say that the best hotel for Plats would be the Phoenician for which I have stayed at numerous times. The resort fee is waived and breakfast is included (up to $37 if I remember correctly) which should cover most of it and I'm about 50/50 for them charging the difference or not. Upgrades haven't always happened, but if the desired suite is available online, I haven't had a problem pushing them for the upgrade upon checkin.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by habshabs444
I would say that the best hotel for Plats would be the Phoenician for which I have stayed at numerous times. The resort fee is waived and breakfast is included (up to $37 if I remember correctly) which should cover most of it and I'm about 50/50 for them charging the difference or not. Upgrades haven't always happened, but if the desired suite is available online, I haven't had a problem pushing them for the upgrade upon checkin.
I will 1 up this to The Canyon Suites which is on the Phoenican property but is runned as a separate hotel. Its a couple mins walk over to the Phoenican and doesnt have the pools or facilities that the Pho has but you can use all of the Phos stuff anyway (at least when I stayed there)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Canyon Suites.

However, if you're young and enjoy nightlife, the W might be more suitable as it's right in Scottsdale rather than isolated in a resort compound. You can feel trapped at the Phoenician without a car.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by hockeystl

In general if >40 then yes...if <40 then W.

That being said I'm 45 and prefer the W.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Doing a quick layover here. I know nothing about Phoenix, but it looks like the airport isn't that far so I'd prefer to stay in the city and see some local life. Any recommendations?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Originally Posted by remymartin
Doing a quick layover here. I know nothing about Phoenix, but it looks like the airport isn't that far so I'd prefer to stay in the city and see some local life. Any recommendations?
I just got back from a stay at the Westin Downtown which is right off the light rail line. Easy to get to from the airport and close to US Airways Arena and Chase Field if you enjoy sports. CityScape is also a few blocks away that has a shops, bars and restaurants.

Recommendation is to try Pizzeria Bianco 7th Street and Adams. Best Beer and Pizza i have had in a LONG time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.