Search

W Austin, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:16 pm

Any input?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by nba1017
Falling glass aside, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind assisting someone who's never stayed in a W before make sure he's making the right choice.

Austin is, unfortunately, a particularly poor city for good hotels. My typical brand is Ritz-Carlton, with the occasional Four Seasons or Renaissance for good measure. I travel on work-purposes, but my work doesn't necessitate 9-5 days, but rather sporadic phone calls and memorandum writing. Thus, I spend a good deal of time in my room and around the hotel facilities. The only other real choice in Austin, the Four Seasons, is both a bit dilapidated and hideously overpriced. I should also mention that I typically book through Amex FHR, which includes breakfast, an upgrade, late checkout, and an amenity (usually $100 F&B/spa). I'd very much like to try out the W on my next Austin trip, but my concerns are as follows:

- Noise. My understanding is that the W gets a younger, more party-oriented set. I'm young, but I work. Is noise a consistent issue here or is the sound-proofing solid and a strong business contingent present?

- Service. The Whatever/Whenever concept seems most similar to the Renaissance 'at your service' button. I"m not expecting Four Seasons levels of help, but housekeeping on demand, responsive front desk agents and managers, and simple requests like towels and toiletries dealt with in a timely manner. Is this fair or is it possible I"ll spend half my time waiting for things?

- Simple question. How's the food?

I've booked a Fabulous room, and had confirmed an upgrade to a Corner Suite based on SPG Gold status and incentive to move from the FS.

Thanks for your input!
I enjoyed the stay.

Noise, even on the Saturday night that I stayed, was not an issue. It was pretty quiet all night.

Service was solid. The desk receptionist was good, but never asked for extra towels so I can't comment on that.

As far as food, its Austin. They have very unique food and for pretty cheap. Don't eat at the hotel. Go to food trucks on South Lamar or South Congress. Or any of the restaurants downtown near the hotel.

I haven't seen the corner suites, but I have heard very good things. I would stay here over the Four Seasons.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
I just finished one night stay (Sun-Mon) at cool corner suite. Overall, I was very satisfied with this property.

Room is very huge and luxurious comparing other W (W SF, W seoul)..

Huge bathroom with bath tun which offers good city view and shower booth.

2 free fiji water to gold/plats

Bed is quite firm (I liked it) and cozy enough to sleep well.

Living room is quite huge and comfortable.

Especially, I liked pools (out of two pools, only one opened when I was there). Located 4th floor, and good escape out of city.

Gym (sweat) is also huge and state-of-the-art facilities. good view of city in spite of low level location.

As usual, Acura service and free coffee in the morning are cool..

Valet parking is $29.. (I used street parking on Sun..)
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Any input?
Well, what did you decide?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Well, what did you decide?
Hands down the W. A friend recently stayed at the FS and was unimpressed--comparing the rooms to a standard Marriott/Hilton/Sheraton.

I'll report back with my impressions in week or so.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Thumbs up Cool W

I live in Houston and was waiting for a good deal on the W Austin (which is normally quite busy), so when I saw there was a good cash and points weekend, i took advantage and headed on out.

upon arrival I was able to cut a deal for the WOW suite (although I only did this because i didn't use cash and points, and instead paid cash). I was able to get it for about 75% off what they normally ask for. All it takes is a little bargaining on a QUIET weekend....

Anyways, the WOW suite, while not out of line with the finishes of the rest of the hotel, was done quite nicely. Very bright and airy on a southern corner of the building overlooking the river (which the call a lake). The colors were right on, the feel was inspring, the artwork was very cool.

The only thing I was suprised about is that it was a bit run down for such a new building, but after talking with a couple staff members, we kept hearing the same story...VIPs often party of there, so the floors get scuffed up, the tables had water damaged, a lamp was broken, etc etc, but then again I didn't pay full price. If I had paid full price, I might have been disappointed by the lack of attention to detail.

That being said, the staff was super friendly, the room was still very cool (no bath tub though), and the overall experience was good.

I would NOT pay full price for this room; the marvelous one floor below is the same layout for less than half the price, and the only real difference is (1) B&B Italia Chair, (1) Funkly lamp that was broken, and some signed artwork; otherwise, same finishes.

^
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Does anyone have any experience concerning upgrades for gold members on paid stays? I booked a Wonderful room on a corporate rate. Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rendezvous
Does anyone have any experience concerning upgrades for gold members on paid stays? I booked a Wonderful room on a corporate rate. Thanks.
I was able to secure an upgrade to a Cool Corner Suite on a AAA rate for a week-long stay by emailing the res manager in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was able to secure an upgrade to a Cool Corner Suite on a AAA rate for a week-long stay by emailing the res manager in advance.
Well, given your prior emails, didn't you commit a bit of business? Didn't you say something like you were going to be visiting quite a bit? Maybe I am off...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Well, given your prior emails, didn't you commit a bit of business? Didn't you say something like you were going to be visiting quite a bit? Maybe I am off...
Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Anyone have experience here with any nearby garage parking as an alternative to valet? I briefly perused public garages via Internet search, but there doesn't seem anything closer than 2 blocks away. I don't mind the cost, I just don't like valeting my cars.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:54 pm

Stayed here last night. Cannot say I was overly impressed with the property and quite frankly, was a little disappointed when comparing it to my stays at other W locations.

The room (10th Floor) was just *meh* and the lamp by the bed was broken. Called that to the attention of the front desk staff when I went out later in the evening but no action was taken to remedy the problem. Even as run-down and uninspiring as the W San Diego was a few weeks ago, I would be more inclined to stay there again long before I would look to stay at the W Austin. While I still maintain an Austin address for a lot of personal business and the front desk staff initially thought I was still local, I don't live there anymore so I occasionally overnight in town- given other options available to me in downtown Austin (I usually just do the Driskill if I was going to stay downtown) I just don't see this being viable.

Acura service was prompt (used it to go to a local music venue) and the driver was sociable. Valet was quick in getting the car after I called down for it, but I was blocked in for a little while because of that double lane that serves as the driveway area...

The touch-key thing for the elevator and the room took some getting used to as well since it didn't read properly some of the time. While the card slots might be older technology, they tend to be more user-friendly IMO and you aren't left standing there trying repeatedly to get the elevator to finally get you to your floor.

Did not use the facilities, so cannot speak to the bar, restaurant, gym or pool...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Just stayed here for the weekend. Upgraded as a Platinum (without using Suite Night Awards) to a Cool Corner Suite, which was nice -- good-sized living room and separate bedroom. Do be aware if aiming for this upgrade while staying with someone else that the shower and tub are very non-private: the glass walls of the shower fog up which give a sort of privacy, and the shower is not visible from the living room couch or bedroom, but it's pretty much impossible to use the sink without seeing the person in the shower for example.

Location is great, and walkable (though using a somewhat generous definition of walking distance) to many good shopping and nightlife areas of Austin. If the weather is nice out and you don't mind walking you could easily do a couple-night stay here without a rental car and still see the main parts of the city. City itself is also great, especially if you like good food and drink.

The platinum amenity breakfast option was okay but not outstanding: voucher for use at the W Cafe (which takes place at what is a bar by night). No real specification of what exactly is included, but basically can get one or two items per person (available items include things like muffins, yogurt with granola, oatmeal, or breakfast tacos). Coffee is free for all guests in the cafe. There is no traditional hotel breakfast buffet available. The weekend brunch at the hotel restaurant Trace was quite good though not included in the amenity.

Bars are very busy on weekend evenings even with several rooms to fill. From the 12th floor there was no noise interfering with sleep, though I did hear some faint bar noise (perhaps from an outdoor bar across the street more than from the in-house bars) which might have been more annoying on a lower floor.

In short it's not the best W--in my opinion it pales relative to the W Hong Kong for example--but it's also not the worst (bonjour Montreal!) and given that Austin is home to many bland chain hotels this is an excellent choice for anyone looking to experience a great city in some style.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by colerc
Do be aware if aiming for this upgrade while staying with someone else that the shower and tub are very non-private: the glass walls of the shower fog up which give a sort of privacy, and the shower is not visible from the living room couch or bedroom, but it's pretty much impossible to use the sink without seeing the person in the shower for example.
When i stayed here last year - i didn't get an upgrade (Austin Marathon Weekend) - and we had the same issue in the normal rooms. There is no door on the bathroom - so there is no privacy from the rest of the room while taking a shower. Just an FYI - but this seems like it might be consistent throughout the hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:16 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by cubuffaloes2004
When i stayed here last year - i didn't get an upgrade (Austin Marathon Weekend) - and we had the same issue in the normal rooms. There is no door on the bathroom - so there is no privacy from the rest of the room while taking a shower. Just an FYI - but this seems like it might be consistent throughout the hotel.
Interesting...I would guess based on experience at other Ws that the two-bed rooms may have a more private bathroom, but don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.