Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Element Times Square West, New York City [Master Thread]

Element Times Square West, New York City [Master Thread]

Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

Homeless people devouring the buffet?? Why didn't you take a picture of that? When I do a review I get actual pictures of the issue. All I see is normal wear and tear.

Again, I bet you'll think twice before checking into a new constructed hotel!
LOL... I have some morsel of shame. It was hard enough to snap a picture from across the lobby. Catching them in the act would have been tricky.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
I guess I understand urging caution on this forum re "soft openings" or new hotels as a matter of practical advice, but the complaints are legitimate and are part of the several iterations it will probably take to get this place running smoothly.

BTW, I paid the C&P rate (4k + $60) and I'd be hard pressed to pay over $200 for this place (but I really don't care for midtown)
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: A few
I've been here the past couple of nights. It has it's teething problems but it's not bad and great value. Got in Monday night at 6:30pm and there was no rooms ready. Bit bizarre but the place was packed. Managed to grab a glass of wine, went for a walk, came back at 7:30 and as promised room available.

The room itself is nice. I clearly got the small one with just a seat no sofa. But that's fine. Place is clean but there are paints spots all over the floor so clearly they rushed to finish, but it's not exactly dirty. In fact it's quite nice. The room has been quiet even though it's right outside the elevator.

For $169 a night, and $89 a night in January... it's a steal
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Sometime in the course of the evening (although I heard from one guest it's been happening all week), the elevators went berserk. One is completely out of commission right now, the other two require an employee operator to manually go to each floor for pick up (this morning they posted notices on each floor to call the front desk for an elevator).

This morning, I was caught in one with no operater, and it was stopping at EVERY floor on the way down.
Originally Posted by bubb1
Stayed here this weekend and experienced the elevator issues, which was really the only aggravating thing about our stay.
It's curious that both of you experienced these elevator issues on the weekend. I wonder if the elevator is set to "sabbath mode" from 00:00-23:59 on Saturdays (or all the time, by mistake), where it stops on every floor automatically. You will occasionally encounter this in NYC buildings that have a large Jewish contingent (e.g., hospitals, condos). It allows orthodox Jews to remain holier than you without all the hassle of taking the stairs.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Not sure what to think of this place. I have a booking here for a night in early February, but these reports are so mixed. I've stayed in the neighbourhood before but never seen it reported as being so rough.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:10 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Not sure what to think of this place. I have a booking here for a night in early February, but these reports are so mixed. I've stayed in the neighbourhood before but never seen it reported as being so rough.
Not sure where you've seen here that the neighborhood is rough. To be honest, we didn't see any homeless people or "rough" characters when we were there Thanksgiving weekend. Someone did mention here that homeless people were eating the breakfast buffet (A: Small loss, B: Just because someone looks homeless doesn't mean they are homeless). There was always a doorman there when we were there who I imagine should be stopping non-hotel guests from doing this. Heck, we see more homeless people on 43rd, outside the Westin, between 7th and 8th, as that is a very empty block (other than "Cheetahs Gentleman's Club", right next door)

When you're a block from Port Authority, you get what you get. As I mentioned, even though it's 39th street, you're awful close to 8th Ave, much closer than the 4 Points on 40th, which is much closer to 9th.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Here right now as well. Booked a studio with cash and points and was pleasantly surprised with a suite upon check-in. Suites are awesome and really are more like small NY apartments than hotel rooms, with the kitchen and living areas aranged as they are. Roughly twice the size of any 4pts room I've had in the city at a comparable price. In spite of the property's "growing pains," I still think I ended up with an outstanding value, and once they have all the kinks worked out (like having the washing machines and dryers working in the basement), this will be an awesome 4+ day hotel.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by Shareholder
If you want a basic, brand new, and probably clean room and you don't care if the hotel's public areas are clean, and you don't mind long wait times in a crowded lobby for the elevator at peak times, then you might not mind it.

PS - As for the rough neighborhood concern, although it isn't in a neighborhood that I would exactly describe as picturesque, it's just half a block off of the busy and fairly vibrant 8th Ave. and it doesn't feel unsafe.

Last edited by tjk1976; Dec 9, 2010 at 6:57 pm Reason: Added the "PS"
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I stayed here a couple weeks ago. Does anyone know if this property is participating in the "every night counts" promotion? I know it's not on the list, but I figured that this might just be because it opened after the promo started. It takes a while for my EN2 every night counts points to post, and that would be my 10th night, needed for triple nights. If I need to do a "mattress run" and check in at my local four points, i'll do it, but I'm hoping I don't need to! Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
Avoid this place for the time being

I just got off the phone with the GM to inform him of our horrendous stay last weekend. He apologized profusely and said that the hotel was suspending sales and bringing in outside help. Here's the Readers Digest version of what happened:

- Check in Friday 3 pm. Communications between housekeeping and front desk break down. 50+ people sitting in lobby and lounge area with their suitcases waiting for a room. Wait was about 90 minutes.

- Friday 5 pm. As it was my birthday (emailed ahead to inform them), there was a knock at the door and employee wishes me "Happy Birthday" and hands me an opened, 3/4 full bottle of white wine with a cork in the top. I was speechless. Clearly, did not drink the wine.

-Friday evening- opened cupboard to get a water glass and noticed glasses/plates/bowls were all put away soiled (food debris/fingerprints/lip prints). Loaded them into the dishwasher, but couldn't find soap. On our way out, spoke to the front desk and asked them to go up and run the dishwasher and I would put them away later.

-Later Friday evening- returned back to the room. All dishes/glasses were put back in the cupboard, still unwashed. Still covered in food debris and prints.

- Saturday morning- 8 people waiting on 32nd floor for elevator. Sign on elevator says something like "If you want to use elevator, please call front desk". It took 3 calls and 40 minutes to get down from the 32nd floor. Some people walked down from above us. Elevator stopped at every floor.

-Sunday 5 pm- arrived back to room to find it unserviced. Front desk claims that they are a green hotel and don't make the beds everyday. We asked about towels etc. and in about 30 minutes there was someone servicing the room.

The rooms themselves are great. We had a corner studio.

We spoke with junior staff all weekend as we were told that the GM works 9-5, Monday to Friday. I had a very frank conversation with him this week and he did the right thing re: compensation.

I would give this place a year. Currently, $85 a night is too much IMHO. It's basically being run like a youth hostel.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kiltboys
I just got off the phone with the GM to inform him of our horrendous stay last weekend. He apologized profusely and said that the hotel was suspending sales and bringing in outside help. Here's the Readers Digest version of what happened:

- Check in Friday 3 pm. Communications between housekeeping and front desk break down. 50+ people sitting in lobby and lounge area with their suitcases waiting for a room. Wait was about 90 minutes.

- Friday 5 pm. As it was my birthday (emailed ahead to inform them), there was a knock at the door and employee wishes me "Happy Birthday" and hands me an opened, 3/4 full bottle of white wine with a cork in the top. I was speechless. Clearly, did not drink the wine.

-Friday evening- opened cupboard to get a water glass and noticed glasses/plates/bowls were all put away soiled (food debris/fingerprints/lip prints). Loaded them into the dishwasher, but couldn't find soap. On our way out, spoke to the front desk and asked them to go up and run the dishwasher and I would put them away later.

-Later Friday evening- returned back to the room. All dishes/glasses were put back in the cupboard, still unwashed. Still covered in food debris and prints.

- Saturday morning- 8 people waiting on 32nd floor for elevator. Sign on elevator says something like "If you want to use elevator, please call front desk". It took 3 calls and 40 minutes to get down from the 32nd floor. Some people walked down from above us. Elevator stopped at every floor.

-Sunday 5 pm- arrived back to room to find it unserviced. Front desk claims that they are a green hotel and don't make the beds everyday. We asked about towels etc. and in about 30 minutes there was someone servicing the room.

The rooms themselves are great. We had a corner studio.

We spoke with junior staff all weekend as we were told that the GM works 9-5, Monday to Friday. I had a very frank conversation with him this week and he did the right thing re: compensation.

I would give this place a year. Currently, $85 a night is too much IMHO. It's basically being run like a youth hostel.
Sounds like we were there at the same time. I also spoke with the GM and found that his apologies were not followed up with any action, which was why I decided to leave. Not sure if it's because he didn't care or because he just doesn't know how to run a hotel (not that the reason matters). Now that you mention it, it is very reminiscent of a youth hostel and I agree, I would give it another year or at least until they get some competent management in there.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
I just completed a 2-night stay on points. I booked and received a studio room. This is my first time at an Element and I found the rooms nicely appointed if a little Spartan, but no complaints here. I especially liked the full size refrigerator. One of my pet peeves is being able to control the air temperature. The thermostat here actually worked and was quite responsive. All the employees I ran into were very courteous and helpful.

Everything was to my satisfaction except for 2 major areas. The elevators are way too small to handle the traffic. I was on the 9th floor and every time I tried to board a down elevator it was full. I had to resort to riding it up in order to go down.

The second area of discontent is the congestion in the lobby area. It is way too small to handle both the registration desk and the breakfast crowd. I would put the food back in the atrium area. I know it's farther from the kitchen, but it'll prevent people from tripping over each other.

As far as the neighborhood is concerned, I felt very safe there. It's a very short walk to 8th Ave and there was always an employee on the sidewalk to open the door for me.

I would definitely go back if they could fix these congestion problems.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:48 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I stayed here a couple weeks ago. Does anyone know if this property is participating in the "every night counts" promotion? I know it's not on the list, but I figured that this might just be because it opened after the promo started. It takes a while for my EN2 every night counts points to post, and that would be my 10th night, needed for triple nights. If I need to do a "mattress run" and check in at my local four points, i'll do it, but I'm hoping I don't need to! Thanks!
If they were not on the participating properties list from the beginning, they will not be participating in Every Night Counts.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Been almost two weeks since I checked out of the Element...called SPG last week to get my points posted and still nothing. On the phone with someone else again so hopefully it'll get done...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Staying here tonight for two nights. Will post up on Sunday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.