Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel & Executive Meeting Center MIA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel & Executive Meeting Center MIA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Prelim Review: Cat 2 and keep it that way

I'm here for 2 nights: late arrival on Thursday night, girlfriend arriving Friday night, departing to the port for a cruise Saturday morning.

This is a cheap option near the airport.

Shuttle service: per the front desk runs every 15 minutes. I was picked up by a large red shuttle about 15 minutes after calling to ask about the shuttle. The driver was friendly. I was picked up from the UA area, and the property was 3 minutes away.

Check In: The front desk agents were hilarious. When they saw I was a Platinum member they made a huge deal about it, both literally bowing to me. They were humorous and the way the handled everything was with a jovial attitude. I said they must not see many Platinums, but they told me there are tons on a regular basis. My two night stay was paid one night and points the other. The paid night was upgraded to a bi-level suite, and thankfully they were able to find a single suite for both nights so I didn't have to change rooms. I thought the agents were fun, and even though their reception was a little sarcastic and over the top, it was much better than a lot of properties that could care less and don't acknowledge status.

Room: I was give a bi-level suite. The entrance is on the 9th floor, with a spiral staircase leading up to the 10th floor area. On the lower level is a half bath, wetbar, sofa, TV, dresser, and desk. There is a spiral staircase leading to the upper level. The upper level on the 10th floor also has a door to the hallway (the 10th floor is the highest level and also the club level). I found out the hard way that you can only enter through the 9th floor door, as I had deadbolted/double locked the 9th floor door and left through the 10th floor door to check out the club lounge and could not get back in through the 10th floor. Security had to come and let me in through the 10th floor door. So, for the future, if you get a bi-level suite, only use the door on the lower level. The upper level has a bed, TV and dresser, closet, and a full bath.
Even though this property was recently renovated, the aging shell shows through. The two AC units in my suite (upper/lower level) were tired and struggling to keep up, even in the mild mid 70s/low 80s temperatures.

Bar/Lounge: The prices are decent ($11 or less for all items), but again the wear and tear of a physically old property shine through. There are no great places to sit at the bar and watch the two televisions. There were small gnats flying around, which seemed to bother everyone except the staff.

That's all for now. Tomorrow I'm going to try out the fitness center and pool.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:23 am

lol, funny trip report. Thanks. I will be there next Saturday night. Not sure I want to be upgraded to that bi-level suite though. Reminds me of the 4 points at SFO and I really didn't like the bi-level "suites" there either, though some people here really like them.

-David
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I'm here for 2 nights: late arrival on Thursday night, girlfriend arriving Friday night, departing to the port for a cruise Saturday morning.

This is a cheap option near the airport.

Shuttle service: per the front desk runs every 15 minutes. I was picked up by a large red shuttle about 15 minutes after calling to ask about the shuttle. The driver was friendly. I was picked up from the UA area, and the property was 3 minutes away.

Check In: The front desk agents were hilarious. When they saw I was a Platinum member they made a huge deal about it, both literally bowing to me. They were humorous and the way the handled everything was with a jovial attitude. I said they must not see many Platinums, but they told me there are tons on a regular basis. My two night stay was paid one night and points the other. The paid night was upgraded to a bi-level suite, and thankfully they were able to find a single suite for both nights so I didn't have to change rooms. I thought the agents were fun, and even though their reception was a little sarcastic and over the top, it was much better than a lot of properties that could care less and don't acknowledge status.

Room: I was give a bi-level suite. The entrance is on the 9th floor, with a spiral staircase leading up to the 10th floor area. On the lower level is a half bath, wetbar, sofa, TV, dresser, and desk. There is a spiral staircase leading to the upper level. The upper level on the 10th floor also has a door to the hallway (the 10th floor is the highest level and also the club level). I found out the hard way that you can only enter through the 9th floor door, as I had deadbolted/double locked the 9th floor door and left through the 10th floor door to check out the club lounge and could not get back in through the 10th floor. Security had to come and let me in through the 10th floor door. So, for the future, if you get a bi-level suite, only use the door on the lower level. The upper level has a bed, TV and dresser, closet, and a full bath.
Even though this property was recently renovated, the aging shell shows through. The two AC units in my suite (upper/lower level) were tired and struggling to keep up, even in the mild mid 70s/low 80s temperatures.

Bar/Lounge: The prices are decent ($11 or less for all items), but again the wear and tear of a physically old property shine through. There are no great places to sit at the bar and watch the two televisions. There were small gnats flying around, which seemed to bother everyone except the staff.

That's all for now. Tomorrow I'm going to try out the fitness center and pool.

WAIT?! The property has been open 6 days, that doesn't make sense to me. I wonder what their definition of "tons on a regular basis" is?

Well atleast they appear to upgrading and treating plats well. Any pictures?

Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:07 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by KENNECTED

WAIT?! The property has been open 6 days, that doesn't make sense to me. I wonder what their definition of "tons on a regular basis" is?

Well atleast they appear to upgrading and treating plats well. Any pictures?

Dear Artist Formerly Known as CheapElite, please get your glasses checked, it is now January not December . I had a stay here last week and was not fortunate enough to score a suite, but did get a room on the club level. I will try to post pics soon.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm checking in tonight. Sounds like a lovely property!

I already got "upgraded" to a club floor, yippee
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by newbluesea
Its main redeeming feature is its close proximity to MIA and is located across the street from the huge consolidated rental car facility... can yo say lots of shuttle busses?
T.
Actually it is across the street from the former Hertz facility. the new consolidated one is almost a block away. The busses don't inundate the area, but it most certainly is an airport hotel.

I have no experience with it as a Sheraton but I'll be checking in on Monday.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Dear Artist Formerly Known as CheapElite, please get your glasses checked, it is now January not December . I had a stay here last week and was not fortunate enough to score a suite, but did get a room on the club level. I will try to post pics soon.
I meant weeks. I shouldn't post when i'm not wearing contacts
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I meant weeks. I shouldn't post when i'm not wearing contacts
Neither should some of the rest of us, but post we do anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Neither should some of the rest of us, but post we do anyway.
^

Thank you for that one, Master Yoda.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not as cheap as I was expecting, BAR is $189, prepaid $183, AAA more than that.

Seems stiff for a Cat 2.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
Not as cheap as I was expecting, BAR is $189, prepaid $183, AAA more than that.

Seems stiff for a Cat 2.
That is a bit high... My rate was $127 (SET), and when I booked BAR was $143 ($135 prepaid).

Now for the other components:

Pool: Surprisingly well maintained with better than average lounge chairs. The water was warm, the pool was clean and decently sized. As a fairly tall person (6'4") I liked that the deep end was decently deep (6 feet). The towels were mid-range quality. I was a little disappointed the bar was not open. The music they were playing was good.

Fitness Center: This place was a jungle: hot and humid. I actually kind of like working out in those type of conditions, but others may not. There are 4 fairly aged treadmills, 3 ellipticals, and several stationary bikes. There are plenty of free weights and then a few other stations for weight lifting. I thought the equipment was adequate, though old.

Restaurant: I decided to get a club sandwich to go as a large group was taking up the restaurant. I can't comment on the service but the staff I interacted with were nice.

Club Lounge: I think it is funny that the sign on the 10th (top) floor says something like "Sky Lounge: VIP access by keycard only" yet it looks like they've removed the doors to the lounge (so anyone can go in by going to the 10th floor). The lounge is of good size with a couch area, a pool table, a few computers, a bar area, and a few high top tables. I woke up a little late for breakfast but was able to snag a muffin as they were breaking it down. They had a few Starbucks coffee dispensers as well as an automated espresso machine. My only complaint: no Splenda.

In the evening there were a few hot and a few cold selections: Mini boneless chicken wings, jalapeno poppers, something else fried that I couldn't figure out, ham and swiss mini sandwiches, turkey wraps, and then this interesting milk cake with tons of whipped cream and a cherry (the cake part was good). The quality was sub par. I prefer lounges that have more non-fried food options, specifically a veggie tray. I did not see any alcohol available.

There is a small refrigerator with canned soda and bottled water that is available 24 hours, along with granola bars/nutrigrain bars and coffee.

WiFi is free for everyone at the property, though it is spotty and not that fast, with frequent time-outs.

Last edited by Peatisback; Jan 21, 2011 at 5:52 pm
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:01 pm

I just checked in. price was $159, cheaper than my corporate rate anywhere else decent this week. (Miami prices are all over the map IME, cheap one moment sky high the next, probably due to all the conventions and events as well as seasons.) When I checked in stan was there with the bowing and scraping and laughing. I related the story of Peatisback, wheupon all three people at the desk discussed how nice he was. Then i discussed FlyerTalk and they insisted upon reading his posts and brought the Duty manager into the general slapstick. I have never had such a good time checking in to a hotel.

I am in a two level suite. they started to tell me about Lounge access and i related the FT wisdom which yielded yet more laughs. I was informed that alcoholic beverages will be in the lounge soon, but they had no specific date.

Self Parking is $13 per day, cheaper than other properties in this area, and very convenient as well.

So far it remains the Wyndham it was, but the quality of reception is a huge improvement so long as one can enjoy the wildly enthusiastic attitude. I can.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I just checked in. price was $159, cheaper than my corporate rate anywhere else decent this week. (Miami prices are all over the map IME, cheap one moment sky high the next, probably due to all the conventions and events as well as seasons.) When I checked in stan was there with the bowing and scraping and laughing. I related the story of Peatisback, wheupon all three people at the desk discussed how nice he was. Then i discussed FlyerTalk and they insisted upon reading his posts and brought the Duty manager into the general slapstick. I have never had such a good time checking in to a hotel.

I am in a two level suite. they started to tell me about Lounge access and i related the FT wisdom which yielded yet more laughs. I was informed that alcoholic beverages will be in the lounge soon, but they had no specific date.

Self Parking is $13 per day, cheaper than other properties in this area, and very convenient as well.

So far it remains the Wyndham it was, but the quality of reception is a huge improvement so long as one can enjoy the wildly enthusiastic attitude. I can.
Pictures please. Thankyouverymuch.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:23 pm

I have no camera with my phone in the US. I'll see what I can do anyway.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:01 am

I cannot recommend this property yet: needs renovation

Despite the warm welcome and nice people at the front desk this property is not ready yet. It needs renovation, updating and training.

1) Rare cold weather in Miami revealed that my room had no heat. The maintenance man who came promptly said "your room has no heat". Ahhh, now I understand. No follow up from anyone. No changed room. i just had to wear a jacket in the room and sleep clothed.
2) Generally shabby condition throughout proving that this is a relabeling of the Wyndham and nothing more.
3) despite my earlier protest that this is not "across the street from the consolidated car rental center" that is precisely what it is. There is construction around the area, an empty lot where the Hertz center was, and only two ways in to the property. First, make an illegal left turn on 25th street crossing oncoming traffic to sneak into the parking garage (my choice). Second, enter MIA drive around arrivals or departures, follow the airport exit and eventually arrive at the hotel. This may improve sometime, but not now.
4) They charge $.95 even for 800 numbers, even for Platinums.
5) The internet contstantly drops after 10 minutes or so and must be renewed. large downloads/uploads cannot be accomplished.
6) There are no pens in the rooms.
7) There are no free power points. There are already multi-point adapters in the plugs so something must be disconnected to allow laptop charging or other use.
8) The lounge attendant during my two days speaks no English at all, understands a little, but is completely incommunicative in Spanish too, and seems to understand little and care less. A guest asked for milk, he pointed at the refrigerator. Another guest asked about espresso, he pointed at the machine. Several guests said 'thank you' or 'gracias' and were totally ignored. What a contrast with the front desk!
9) The evening snacks in the lounge are typical, but there are sliced vegetables now. The breakfast is not generous but it is adequate. There is a Jura espresso machine that produces whatever you want but you must know how to do it yourself. The coffee is Starbucks.

On balance I will pay extra to stay elsewhere. The Westin in Coral Gables is a decent more expensive alternative. The Embassy Suites, Hilton, Marriott and Sofitel are all nearby and are better choices. None of them are new properties either. They all suffer from a heavy relaince on cruise ships, tourists and conventions so these are not stellar properties. The Sheraton fits just at the lowest tier of all these, but is less convenient and with poorer facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.