Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Peruvian Tax Information

Per local tax laws, an 18% tax must be paid by Peruvian citizens and foreigners staying more than 59 days in Peru. To be exempt from this 18% tax (IVA), a guest must present both a valid, original passport and a copy of an immigration card. Guests who are unable to present both documents will be required to pay the tax.

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
None.

01/04/24 - e-mail address: [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The hotel is very well located in Cuzco, which itself is a pleasant, clean city (with sweepers constantly keeping the central area clean) with fine shops, restaurants, sights, etc.
I am planning to stay 2-3 nights in Cuzco to explore the city after TdI. Any nights better than others - - e.g. are Sundays or other days slow/closed and to be avoided.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cactuspete
I am planning to stay 2-3 nights in Cuzco to explore the city after TdI. Any nights better than others - - e.g. are Sundays or other days slow/closed and to be avoided.
IIRC, we were there from Sunday through Wednesday, and did not notice any differences among those days. I guess if you're a super-foodie you might check on what days (if any) the best restaurants are closed.

The one positive thing you might research (online and/or through the concierge) is whether there are any festivals or other events scheduled for days you're considering staying there. If so, I'd recommend trying to be there when those take place. The few that we happened upon in Cuzco and elsewhere in Peru were lots of fun.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:08 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Evidently there is a very large market (think oversized flea market) that occurs Saturday mornings. Might be worth checking out but probably not rearranging a trip for.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:42 pm

Would this be a decent value for the Nights and Flights promo?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The sister hotel, Tambo del Inka (also a Starwood property), is better located in terms of being closer to MP and having a train station right at the hotel. And while the PdI is a fine hotel, TdI is fantastic and even better in just about every respect.
Can't agree more!
Stayed here about 2 weeks ago.
A few issues upon check-in.
We had 2 adults in one room and 3 in another. (Child of 14y) I emailed the hotel in advance of the third adult and acknowledged the additional charge in the email.
Account was not noted and this led to a lot of confusion on part of FD.
Was then told that checkout was 9am.
Asked for 4pm checkout, they would look into it.
Ultimately, we only needed one of the rooms until 4pm and agreed to give up one room at 9am.
After that, we were very happy with the facility.
I was given a very nice suite, brother was given a lesser room upgrade.
Breakfast was offered to my brother and his family without additional charge.
Everyone was very pleasant after the initial issues.
(Breakfast server did have me fill out a survey upon completion of the meal, very insistent)
Although a very nice hotel, we had just left the TdI and this represented an unfair comparison.
Did not have enough time in Cusco to properly look around.
(Poor planning on my part)
Would stay again if in Cusco and not heading to Sacred Valley
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Tambo del Inka is a fantastic modern hotel in every respect. It is located far out in the country side, about an hour and a half away from the historic center of Cusco. That is really its only disadvantage. The Palacio del Inka is a historic urban hotel, with smaller rooms and colonial decor. Both of them offer outstanding service and excellent Platinum recognition.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:30 pm

Enjoyed a wonderful 2 night stay at this property last week. Gold recognition and an upgrade to a very nice suite! All the staff here was really friendly as well.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Tambo del Inka is a fantastic modern hotel in every respect. It is located far out in the country side, about an hour and a half away from the historic center of Cusco. That is really its only disadvantage. The Palacio del Inka is a historic urban hotel, with smaller rooms and colonial decor. Both of them offer outstanding service and excellent Platinum recognition.
If it weren't for threads like these, properties like those wouldn't even be on my bucket list. Thanks for all the comments.

Cheers,
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Does anyone know what the 3rd adult charge is per room? We have 2 rooms for 6 people (mom, dad, kids 19, 17, 15 & 13 at time of travel). Rooms officially only hold 3, and anyone over 12 is considered an adult. So while technically we will have a kid listed in our room, in reality all 4 will be in the double bedded room we have reserved. I guess we will have to pay for 2 adults?

Thanks,

Jennifer
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA
Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection, Opened 1 Aug 2013 [Master Thread]

Via email, I was told that they would charge $100 extra for a 14 yo. They did not note my reservation with this info. There were some small issues at check-in and they ended up not charging me even though I mentioned knowing about the charge. Lovely hotel!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Thanks. Might blow another 30k points for another room (3 nights) as it looks like it will cost me $200 for the extra kids (1 per room). Bummer.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jmkclee
Thanks. Might blow another 30k points for another room (3 nights) as it looks like it will cost me $200 for the extra kids (1 per room). Bummer.
A few thoughts on this:

1. If it helps mitigated the pain in points, you could see if a cash plus points option is available for the nights you are there.
2. If getting enough nights and/or stays for Plat, Plat 75 or Plat 100 status is a concern for you, if you book three rooms at least you'll get three stays/nine nights out of this deal. I believe all rooms have to be in your name for this to happen, but check the relevant threads or ask SPG to be sure.
3. I believe (but am not certain) that another advantage of three rooms is that all six of you should get complimentary breakfasts due to your Plat status. Not certain if this would happen otherwise if squeezed into two rooms. Again, perhaps the FT wisdom or your calling SPG could clarify this.
4. Have a great trip!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Apr 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Another one of Peru's superb properties.

The hotel really does live up to it's name in that it is a Palacio. Everything about it is indeed palatial and the place oozes luxury.

Check-in is so very very polite in this country and instead of standing at a desk, you are encouraged to sit down and someone will come over to greet you personally. It's all very different to the US & European way of doing things... but they really want you to slow down and relax. Sometimes that can be hard to do - even on a vacation!

The room was on the small side even with an SNA upgrade, that said, it was still very very comfortable and we even had a small terrace where you could look out of the rooftops of Cuzco and the surrounding mountains. All very very picturesque.

The spa downstairs is very inviting. I put my head around the door to find that they had a special offer - 2 for 1. To be honest, I would just say that it's really 2 for 2 at a more 'reasonable' rate - and they really do have a lovely set of pools and a hot tub, so it was worth the expense.

In the evening a Jazz trio play in the bar. You feel like you're the guests at an old enchanted castle. It is truly charming.

Walk a little further you come to the restaurant where they have a wine and cheese stand... and then the restaurant looks stunning. Again, it is as though it were part of a castle, or Palacio. Apparently it used to be a monastery! Well, all I can say is that the monks missed out because it really is a delightful place to stay while in Cuzco and a decent location just a short walk from the main square Plaza d'Armes.

There were no real issues here apart from as I was leaving the hotel I asked the doorman if he could get me a taxi (it was about 6am) he said, "have you ordered one?" I said, "no I haven't - cant you just get one off the street?"

The guy literally just stood there gawping at me - and he actually made me panic thinking that I would have to wait 12-15 minutes for him to book a cab for me.

I marched out through the front doors with the luggage and one on the street pulled up as I was heading out. Perfect timing, but a pathetic performance from the front door staff. I don't know if he was tired or had just woken up, but it was a weird and sad way to leave!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:38 am
wdc

Trying to book this property, and realized that the prepaid rate includes the 18% tax. Other OTAs do not charge this when booking on their websites. Will I get it refunded upon check in? What if I cancel the stay, will I get the tax refunded or will it be gone?

Thanks
Old May 13, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Oh ehm gee I Luv this property! So close to everywhere (well everything is walking distance in cusco), but the church museum is just right across the hotel.

Got upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite as platinum recognition (NOT ambassador intervention). Property apparently doesnt recognize Plat100 guests. So great property for all Plats. And highly recommended if you wanna get an upgrade.

Suite itself was beautiful with deep red colours and smelled like lavenders. My room was overlooking the terrace, so felt so tranquil and peaceful. 3rd time in cusco so done all the macchu pichu stuffs long time ago...so this place was exactly what i was looking for to unwind and distress.

Super friendly staffs too. Highly recommended. And oh, BRG rate 145$ (tax included)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.