Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Peruvian Tax Information

Per local tax laws, an 18% tax must be paid by Peruvian citizens and foreigners staying more than 59 days in Peru. To be exempt from this 18% tax (IVA), a guest must present both a valid, original passport and a copy of an immigration card. Guests who are unable to present both documents will be required to pay the tax.

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
None.

01/04/24 - e-mail address: [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Palacio del Inka, Cusco, Peru, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by trustful88
Good call - I'm a SF traveler (not far from you - cheers!). C+P is 5k points + $96 in charge + fees, or just 10k points. Renewal of Platinum gives me 35% off pt redemption, but no sure I want to use that now. I'm only spending 3 nights there between Machu Picchu trips. Any idea if breakfast is included? The other option is the Rumi hotel, which is highly rated, but not luxurious at all.

I've got about 122k SPG points left (blew a lot for flights). Based on category changes this year already, I have a bad feeling points will depreciate another 20% year-over-year. The best point redemption was converting to LAN miles (14,000 kms with 1->1.5km conversion + 5000 bonus) instead of paying $283 RT flight between Lima <> Cuzco.

Cheers bud!
I'd expect that as a Plat you'd get the usual complimentary breakfast benefit, but don't know it for a fact.

If there is a good chance you have an award stay coming up for which the 35 percent discount would save you more, then hold off on using the discount now.

I'm not as pessimistic about the SPG point values depreciating as rapidly, given that SPG just went through a major devaluation.

As for Rumi...I have to confess that my bias is toward an SPG property if it's affordable in terms of points and/or $$, given the breakfast, upgrade possibilities, higher quality (usually) than alternatives, etc. Another factor to possibly plug into your calculations is if the three nights at the PdI would help you toward the 75-night or 100-night SPG status threshold.

Anyway, nice that we have such choices. If you're there before me (next month), please post a review. And happy trails!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:56 pm

They changed the LAN ratio from 1->2kms to 1->1.5kms this year already, right before I booked my Machu Picchu trip Also, all points/$$ went up for each category. This hotel is probably going to get bumped up to cat 5...
I'd have to see some examples of properties changing their category level AFTER they've already opened. I've only seen hotels/resorts change in March or before the first day of opening.

The Four Points in Miraflores (Lima) just opened and is a category 3, and last time I checked they had the same daily rate as the Sheraton Lima which is a cat 2... yet they have not changed category.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: United, Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Elite
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'd expect that as a Plat you'd get the usual complimentary breakfast benefit, but don't know it for a fact.

If there is a good chance you have an award stay coming up for which the 35 percent discount would save you more, then hold off on using the discount now.

I'm not as pessimistic about the SPG point values depreciating as rapidly, given that SPG just went through a major devaluation.

As for Rumi...I have to confess that my bias is toward an SPG property if it's affordable in terms of points and/or $$, given the breakfast, upgrade possibilities, higher quality (usually) than alternatives, etc. Another factor to possibly plug into your calculations is if the three nights at the PdI would help you toward the 75-night or 100-night SPG status threshold.

Anyway, nice that we have such choices. If you're there before me (next month), please post a review. And happy trails!
Great points. Thank you. When are you going? I'll be flying out SFO->LIM 9/19 and in CUS 9/21-9/28. Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Great points. Thank you. When are you going? I'll be flying out SFO->LIM 9/19 and in CUS 9/21-9/28. Cheers.
Departing for home from Peru Sept. 16. Will be in Cusco for a couple of days a week earlier.

So I guess it's up to me to post the review...though given how work piles up while I'm away, I won't make an absolute promise to do so before your trip...but will try.

Assume you're aware of SPG's Tambo del Inka, which is an hour or so away from CUS in the Sacred Valley and is supposed to be a stellar property.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:58 pm

Departing for home from Peru Sept. 16. Will be in Cusco for a couple of days a week earlier.

So I guess it's up to me to post the review...though given how work piles up while I'm away, I won't make an absolute promise to do so before your trip...but will try.

Assume you're aware of SPG's Tambo del Inka, which is an hour or so away from CUS in the Sacred Valley and is supposed to be a stellar property.
I looked closely at Tambo. Are you giving that a try? I thought about it, but it's about 1 hour away from the center of Cuzco, so it might be a lot of work for us to go back/forth for tourism.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked closely at Tambo. Are you giving that a try? I thought about it, but it's about 1 hour away from the center of Cuzco, so it might be a lot of work for us to go back/forth for tourism.
Oh, it's the main place we'll be staying. It's gotten some great write-ups here and at Tripadvisor.com. Check them out.

Take what I say with a huge grain of salt since I haven't been there. But it sounds like an even nicer hotel than the PdI and a good base for exploring the Sacred Valley, in some ways better than Cusco. TdI is closer than PdI is to Machu Picchu, Ollyantambo and perhaps to other places worth visiting. Not much going on in the town it's right near, Urubamba, except for what sound like a few nice restaurants within walking distance (though I'd imagine the foodie scene in Cusco is better) and a local market on Sundays. Plus I understand there is one tourist attraction, the salt mines/pools (sorry I don't recall the name offhand) within hiking or an easy taxi distance.

So it depends whether you want to be based in an interesting town with perhaps some night life (Cusco/PdI) or an isolated, beautiful spot (Urubamba/TdI). We like the latter more, including what will probably be a day or two of just hanging out, but this is all a matter of personal preference.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA MM
Tambo del Inka

We stayed at TdI last April, and it was terrific. The Tripadvisor reviews are accurate, and it is an amazing bargain points-wise. It's great for exploring the Sacred Valley (e.g. Ollanta, Pisac, Moray, etc.), but not that convenient as a base for Cusco. I think most people split the stay, with a few nights in Cusco and a few at TdI. I would definitely recommend spending at least a night in the Sacred Valley, as it has a very different feel.

If you do split your stay, you might consider going to the Sacred Valley first, and then hitting Cusco on the way back, if you are prone to altitude sickness. We did the reverse and regretted it, as it would have been easier acclimating to the lower altitude of the SV and MP.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, AAB. This is good info.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by AABOSSFO
We stayed at TdI last April, and it was terrific. The Tripadvisor reviews are accurate, and it is an amazing bargain points-wise. It's great for exploring the Sacred Valley (e.g. Ollanta, Pisac, Moray, etc.), but not that convenient as a base for Cusco. I think most people split the stay, with a few nights in Cusco and a few at TdI. I would definitely recommend spending at least a night in the Sacred Valley, as it has a very different feel.

If you do split your stay, you might consider going to the Sacred Valley first, and then hitting Cusco on the way back, if you are prone to altitude sickness. We did the reverse and regretted it, as it would have been easier acclimating to the lower altitude of the SV and MP.
Great points. Thank you.

Is it a big loss if we just stick to PalacioDelInka and not go to TdI? Not sure we want to hop from hotel to hotel since we are going to Lima for a day first, then flying to Cusco for 2, then going on MP, then back to Cusco just to sleep prior to going back to Lima -> SFO.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is invaluable as there are so many sources stating different things. ^
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA MM
Great points. Thank you.

Is it a big loss if we just stick to PalacioDelInka and not go to TdI? Not sure we want to hop from hotel to hotel since we are going to Lima for a day first, then flying to Cusco for 2, then going on MP, then back to Cusco just to sleep prior to going back to Lima -> SFO.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is invaluable as there are so many sources stating different things. ^
Not a big loss at all - it all depends on what you are looking for. Staying in Cusco definitely makes sense if you don't want to move around too much. Also, if you prefer to be in a town where it's livelier, that's a good choice, as there is more happening in Cusco at night, more food options, etc. (Urumbamba is pretty quiet). You can still visit the Sacred Valley (which I would highly recommend), but will spend a bit more time in the car doing so.

Staying at TdI in the Sacred Valley would make sense if you were more interested in having a quiet resort-like experience, and if you didn't mind moving around a bit more. But given your tight time frame, it makes perfect sense to stay in Cusco. I wouldn't go out of my way just to stay at TdI. It's a very nice hotel, and I found it very relaxing to stay there, but you'll be seeing a lot more interesting things outside the hotel than inside it.

Good luck with the planning.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Small world. I'm also a traveler out of the Bay Area. I booked a two night C+P stay here in Sept. I'm planning to do a day trip up to MP and was contemplating between this hotel and TdI but figured there would be more things to do in Cusco and I would also be able to get bus tickets in advance (would like to spend as much time on MP as possible) rather than queue up in AC.

One thing I noticed is that the hotel check out time is 9AM. I called CS and asked if a late check out was possible since my flight to LIM leaves in the early afternoon. She said that the hotel charged half the daily room rate for checkouts at 3pm. Being SPG gold, I thought I would be granted late checkout but after talking to her, it doesn't seem to be the case here? She said she would contact the hotel and see if I could check out at 12pm without paying the fee. I should know within 72 hours if my request is granted. Anyone else running into the same problem?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Small world. I'm also a traveler out of the Bay Area. I booked a two night C+P stay here in Sept. I'm planning to do a day trip up to MP and was contemplating between this hotel and TdI but figured there would be more things to do in Cusco and I would also be able to get bus tickets in advance (would like to spend as much time on MP as possible) rather than queue up in AC.

One thing I noticed is that the hotel check out time is 9AM. I called CS and asked if a late check out was possible since my flight to LIM leaves in the early afternoon. She said that the hotel charged half the daily room rate for checkouts at 3pm. Being SPG gold, I thought I would be granted late checkout but after talking to her, it doesn't seem to be the case here? She said she would contact the hotel and see if I could check out at 12pm without paying the fee. I should know within 72 hours if my request is granted. Anyone else running into the same problem?
I didn't hear anything about that? Possibly the Platinum perks are slightly diff. They are also a newly SPG managed hotel, so things are subject to change.

When are you going? Will we overlap?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler

I've read Tripadvisor reviews mentioning the 9 a.m. check-out time. It will be interesting to see if PdI adjusts this for SPG Golds and Plats.

Not to get you worried, but you might want to look into booking your AC train tickets in advance. I've read that sometimes they sell out. The Peru Rail site is pretty easy to use; if you have questions the customer service reps (or at least the one I spoke with) are pretty good and skyping them is cheap. I also erred on the side of caution and got our MP entrance tickets via the travel agency (Tikary) based at TdI rather than waiting until we got to Peru. I don't think the mark-up was bad...maybe $10-15 per ticket???
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:09 am

I didn't hear anything about that? Possibly the Platinum perks are slightly diff. They are also a newly SPG managed hotel, so things are subject to change.

When are you going? Will we overlap?
I don't think we'll overlap as I'm in Cusco 9/11-9/13 and visiting MP on 9/12. I'll be in Lima 9/9-9/11 and 9/13-9/14.

I've read Tripadvisor reviews mentioning the 9 a.m. check-out time. It will be interesting to see if PdI adjusts this for SPG Golds and Plats.

Not to get you worried, but you might want to look into booking your AC train tickets in advance. I've read that sometimes they sell out. The Peru Rail site is pretty easy to use; if you have questions the customer service reps (or at least the one I spoke with) are pretty good and skyping them is cheap. I also erred on the side of caution and got our MP entrance tickets via the travel agency (Tikary) based at TdI rather than waiting until we got to Peru. I don't think the mark-up was bad...maybe $10-15 per ticket???
I already booked my train tickets with PeruRail. I guess I lucked out and didn't have any problems with my CC. I gave up ordering MP tickets through the official site. The site is absolutely awful to use (seriously, a flash site?) and when I got to the payment page my CC got denied. I was very frustrated and decided to go through an agency as I didn't want to waste any more time.

It would be nice if we could get late checkout. If not, I'll have to book an earlier flight to LIM. I'm sure there are people like me who will leave the next day after doing a full day at MP, so any late checkout would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:36 am

Just to follow up on my previous post. I did hear back from the guest relations manager at the PdI and this is what she said: "Due to high season, late check out will be reconfirmed during your check-in process." So I guess this is the standard policy regardless of status? Can another gold/plat who is also staying here verify this?

I have decided to stay at the JW Marriott instead as I will most likely need a later checkout time (11am as opposed to 9am). The rate I got included daily breakfast for two, daily dinner for two, wifi, oxygen, and minibar. It seems PdI dropped their rates from $247 to $203 to match the JW, but it is a prepaid rate and does not include any additional benefits. Unless SPG offers something similar, I am going to take my business elsewhere where I think there is a better value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.