Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
This is nothing new since as far as I know, it always took about five days for the SPG transfer to show up in your AA account. The most recent transfer that I did was about three or four months ago and it took the entire five days as I sweated it out hoping that the QF award that I needed would not disappear.
I think you might be confusing internal transfers and mileage transfers. Internal transfers between SPG accounts have, IME, always been instant. Mileage transfers from your SPG account to your designated airline of choice have usually been 3-7 days, depending on when said airline updates its system.

On a different note, it sounds as though from the feedback we've been seeing, that although the internal transfers are no longer instant, there is no evidence to presume that a "crackdown" of sorts has occurred.

Last edited by Ritz; Nov 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO GLD, *A GLD, A"A Lifetime GLD, Avis Pres. Club, SPG PLT, Hyatt DMND, Fairmont PRMR
Originally Posted by craz
also whenever they run a Bonus miles with a transfer or the Carrier is giving the extra miles on top of the 20k for 25k (which SPG gives) Pts are sold left & right and the Brokers come out of the wood work

with AAs last promo people were able to get to 1MM very easy by buying SPG pts which were selling for well over 2 cents each

so Abuse might be a better term then Fraud

the question is what if anything will SPG do when they find these people by auditing everyones acct, can they get the Miles sent to AA to be returned and will they put them back into the persons acct or simply CX that acct along with the Miles/Pts. If they do nothing then they will be rewarding those who abused the T&Cs

or what about all those who were constantly changing their addresses so it should match the address of the other person they were trading or buying or selling to, Im sure an Audit will reveal everything as well, or will SPG simply say OK from 11/15 forward and whgat was was?
Wow, sounds like someone who seems to know the tricks on a first hand basis. If I were SPG I would seriously check out craz's account. There may be something there.

But seriously, if you've never done anything like this, what's with the post? Are you looking for a job...maybe at SPG? Sounds like you used to post often somewhere and recently stopped, and maybe you got bored.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:41 pm

I agree that the US Grand Slam probably had something to do with this, but, as otherwise posted above, that's not an internal transfer.

But I'd have to object to Starwood Lurker's statement that last names must match on transfers to airlines. In fact, many, many people posted that they were able to swap single miles from one owners SPG account to another's US DM account.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by josephstern
....But I'd have to object to Starwood Lurker's statement that last names must match on transfers to airlines. In fact, many, many people posted that they were able to swap single miles from one owners SPG account to another's US DM account.
That was Starwood Lurker II.

Still, that is SPG's policy because most airlines don't allow such transfers to go through, so he and I have to be a little more conservative in the answers we give here. Any YMMV's you are most welcomed to advise, however, since there is little to no accountability expected.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Judging by the reaction to the post from craz, so far, I have no doubt that he's very close to the truth.

Im learning a lot in these forums very quickly but its a bit disconcerting to see the high percentage of "lets scam the system" participants who hang out here and one cant help but get the impression its tacitly supported by the powers that be.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
That was Starwood Lurker II.
Sorry! My mistake.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm glad you guys are tightening up the transfer situation - that can only help the honest.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by schley
This is bad news for all.
I don;t think so. It's still easy, it just . . .
Originally Posted by popot53
could take up to 5 days before I see the points in my account.
That's reasonable.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kingbear
Wow, sounds like someone who seems to know the tricks on a first hand basis. If I were SPG I would seriously check out craz's account. There may be something there.

But seriously, if you've never done anything like this, what's with the post? Are you looking for a job...maybe at SPG? Sounds like you used to post often somewhere and recently stopped, and maybe you got bored.
Maybe unlike yourself, I have nothing to Fear and William knows all my personal info and SPG is Welcomed at Any and All times to Audit my acct, and I will maintain my Status with them and not lose even a single Pt, can you say the same or from whatever other site you are referring to can those on it be confident that they too have nothing to lose if they are Audited?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Why do you sound lilke you are itching for a job at the SPG auditing dept.?
not at all just spectulating why SPG might have changed how they do things due to what they probably know goes on @ a few sites, they arent dumb. But when it was probabaly not much Selling/Buying going on they didnt bother with it, when the #s increase way up, then they want to stop it

the only problem will be if a person changed their address and then some sort of exchange of Pts was done and then bingo the address was changed back or to a 3rd address so that another transaction can take place
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:36 am

I contacted SPG to do an internal transfer, and the lady told me about the new procedure and new kind of form they must fill out, and it gets forwarded to a new department that deals with it, than the orginal account holder from where the points are debited will be sent an email to confirm this, and than will take up to five days.

this is the email he recieved 24 hours later

November 18, 2010 Ref *****

Dear ******:

Thank you for your request to transfer Starpoints from your account into another members Starwood Preferred Guest account.

Please allow up to 5 business days for this request to be completed.

If you did not initiate this request, please immediately email [email protected].

Best regards,

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

**DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL**

We will see how long it will take.

UPDATE: Less than 24 hours later and an email has been sent that the points have been transferred, and Again stating that if it was not the member that did the transfer that if reply immediately, so looks like its done quite fast, and a double precaution taken against fraud.

Last edited by amrom; Nov 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm Reason: Update
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:00 pm

Bigger question: Why SHOULDN'T you be able to freely transfer Starpoints to any other member you choose, regardless of where that member lives or whether the member is related to you?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by nfg05
Bigger question: Why SHOULDN'T you be able to freely transfer Starpoints to any other member you choose, regardless of where that member lives or whether the member is related to you?
You can have your own Hotel program and allow that if you wish.

SPG, in their own perceived wisdom, allow free transfers between family members, caveat being they must reside at the same address.

When you join SPG you have to agree to those terms. No one is forcing you to join.

Consider other programs such as HHonors where such transfers are not permitted at all.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Because they set the rules and you agree with them when you join.

Every program sets their own rules. HHonors does not allow transfer between accounts. Marriott allows transfers only when redeeming points and the points are needed for that reservation.

Bottom line is - if you don't like the rules - join another program.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:14 pm

Like any loyalty program, the key is to build loyalty.

If occasional users could move points around at will, how does that build loyalty to one hotel chain? So then what is the point of the program?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:48 am

My question was about WHY the rules are what they are. Thanks Joseph for addressing that point. Not sure I completely support the motive you described, but it is a valid point that Starwood may see unrestricted transfers as eroding the incentive to stay loyal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.