Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal – All-Inclusive, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal – All-Inclusive, Costa Rica [Master Thread]

Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
You are correct, it does jump up after adding the second person.
I wonder if you previously selected 2 rooms rather than 2 adults. I've done that.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:21 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smatter
I spoke to Platinum concierge about this today as this looks like a great summer vacation option, especially to burn some starpoints!
Why summer? I've never understood the going someplace warm when it is warm where one is.

anyways, back to topic, so good to see a property in CR (that's not Cedar Rapids)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
I wonder if you previously selected 2 rooms rather than 2 adults. I've done that.
Exactly what I did... haha

Good call!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Why summer? I've never understood the going someplace warm when it is warm where one is.

anyways, back to topic, so good to see a property in CR (that's not Cedar Rapids)
Maybe for teachers or people with kids? I'd be interested if there was a good cash and points deal. Would this be considered a cat 5 or 6? I'm guessing some sort of resort fee?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:08 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Maybe for teachers or people with kids?
that is what winter break & spring break are for !! (Mrs Sweet Willie is in education)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that Central America can be hotter than 30 hells in summer. Been there, done that.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that Central America can be hotter than 30 hells in summer. Been there, done that.
I thought they only had a wet and dry season. Do the temps change that much throughout the year?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I thought they only had a wet and dry season. Do the temps change that much throughout the year?
Actually, I think you're absolutely correct. But the summer I worked in Panama City for about 3 weeks, I thought I'd never make it out alive. The humidity combined with the oppressive heat was unlike anything I've ever experienced.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:51 pm

From the hotel's Announcements page:
SPG Information
All SPG Member benefits will be available at The Westin Playa Conchal Resort & Spa when they open in May, 2011. The property is currently unable to accept free night award bookings but SPG Members will be able to redeem points to stay at this property in the near future.
Is a special award type being created?

FWIW, Travelzoo has an offer for this property for reservations through April 30 -- right before it switches to Westin. $199 pppn double occupancy.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:33 pm

From the hotel's Announcements page:

Is a special award type being created?

FWIW, Travelzoo has an offer for this property for reservations through April 30 -- right before it switches to Westin. $199 pppn double occupancy.
Could you just be reading too much into that? They haven't been given a category level... so they can't accept award reservations correct?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:46 pm

Could you just be reading too much into that? They haven't been given a category level... so they can't accept award reservations correct?
If it weren't an all-inclusive, I'd expect that you are right. But I've never seen such a message on any new property before. They know the rates, so there's no reason that they can't determine a category already. But the standard SPG awards don't provide the ability to distinguish the difference between a reservation for 1 person vs. 2 persons. At a regular hotel, there's not much added cost for a second person in a room. But at this hotel, it adds a more significant real expense -- food and drink.

SPG does have some all-inclusives already: the three Cat5 couples-only Poconos properties.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
You are correct. We have vacationed several times in CR, and the main difference is the wet/dry seasons.

It is a beautiful country, and where this SPG is going to be is stunning
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:14 pm

If it weren't an all-inclusive, I'd expect that you are right. But I've never seen such a message on any new property before. They know the rates, so there's no reason that they can't determine a category already. But the standard SPG awards don't provide the ability to distinguish the difference between a reservation for 1 person vs. 2 persons. At a regular hotel, there's not much added cost for a second person in a room. But at this hotel, it adds a more significant real expense -- food and drink.

SPG does have some all-inclusives already: the three Cat5 couples-only Poconos properties.
I just looked a look at the Poconos property... good god.. haha If this is a cat 5 property that is all inclusive... I can't imagine what they will rate Costa Rica. The Poconos is about $100-200 cheaper and looks like this:

This could be an excellent location for a filming of Hot Tub Time Machine 2!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:12 pm

I own a timeshare at this property thru Melia Vacation Club. The A/I fees are $85/day/pp. Nice resort with a very small beach. According to the locals, the hottest month is April which surprised me.

There are only 15 timeshare units and the owners have not been notified that this resort will no longer be part of MVC. From what we have learned, our ownerships will be rolled over into the Starwood program and can no longer use the other Melia resorts. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I am pleased that SPG is opening a property down there. My guess is that it will open as Cat 6 based on the rates they are asking. If this includes food, that would be OK, but if they are going to assess an additional $85/day per person, it should be cat 4.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.