Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express Benefit Update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express Benefit Update

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by ramalama8
I'm surprised at how excited people are for this benefit. 10% toward qualification would give me reason to be excited if it were for requal for EXP on AA, but platinum status at a hotel chain? Psht, that's easy. Hotels give out PLT status like pretzels. Bump qualification up to 100 or even 150 nights per year, then let's talk.
ha, yes, because everyone on this thread has the same amount of travel per year like you, slick...

sarcasm
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
this will actually be the addition that allows me to now keep the card. sitting on 9 stays as a gold this year and with work being hell here recently, i wasn't seeing any potential stays at an SPG hotel. now all we need is some rollover towards the next year!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Sagy
Enough. Does anyone believes that a meaningful number of people would have had 45-49 nights (23-24) stay and would not have done a MR? If you can find a dozen such people, how many of them would have taken a suite upgrade from you next year? How many times would you have to wait longer on the platinum line? Why do people think that a less than marginal increase in the number of Platinum means a dilution of the program?
I actually agree with you, which is why I think that this benefit is not all that great. I don't think there are many folks that, being 2 stays away from PLT, wouldn't do a MR. There will, of course, always be exceptions, but if there are too many "exceptions", then yes, that is dilution.

So which is it: a valuable benefit for a lot of people (which leads to dilution) or the benefit isn't all that great (because not many people would be on the bubble that wouldn't try to make up for it)?

With that being said, I appreciate any and all benefits that any company wants to give me; it's just that this benefit doesn't seem to help me at all. Just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Originally Posted by saad
it seems to me that you travel quite a bit & would easily be able to get to 100 or maybe even 150 nights a year....i am in the same boat....

but i completely disagree with your reasoning....compared to other programs i don't think spg gives out plat status like pretzels....& there are a lot of people who will benefit from this 10% credit....there are a lot of people who end up just short for either plat or gold....this will help them get there....
It seems you disagree with Sagy in that people who are on the bubble won't do a MR. Yet in your next post, you agree with him.

Count me as one of those who'd like to see a higher level above PLT. Like you, I can split my stays between three different chains and get highest status at all chains, as probably is the case for most consultants. Imagine if one hotel chain were able to capture all of my stays...

BTW, while SPG may not be the easiest to achieve PLT, it's not the hardest - I think Marriott is harder.

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Chains give out Platinum (or top tier status)? What documentation do you have to back up that statement?
Hah! That's funny.

But to humor you -
What does my previous statement have in common with oft-used statement: "I've heard that a million times." Both statements are exaggerated in order to make a point.

Originally Posted by mrredskin
ha, yes, because everyone on this thread has the same amount of travel per year like you, slick...

sarcasm
That was snarky...

And yes, I realize not everyone has my amount of travel (you should all count yourselves fortunate) but does that mean I can't contribute my two cents?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
here's another question for Lurker: I currently don't have a business card. If I apply for one now (presumably it won't be active in time for October 14) - will I get 2 stay credit this year? Or is it binary - only active members on October 14 and the next "check" of active members is in February?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
It seems you disagree with Sagy in that people who are on the bubble won't do a MR. Yet in your next post, you agree with him.
how did you come to the conclusion that i disagree with sagy????

where did i say people who are on the bubble won't do a mr????

i said there are a lot of people who would fall short by a couple of stays....maybe they fall short after doing a mr....maybe they don't live in a city that has a starwood property....maybe they thought they had 25 stays but at the last moment fall short by a stay....there could be dozens of reasons....

Count me as one of those who'd like to see a higher level above PLT. Like you, I can split my stays between three different chains and get highest status at all chains, as probably is the case for most consultants. Imagine if one hotel chain were able to capture all of my stays...
i am not a consultant but i still travel quite a bit....i don't want a higher level than platinum....i'm happy with what there is....the reason i slpit my stays between 3 different chains is because there are places i travel to where one chain is available & there are certain places where another chain is available....

spg is my preferred chain but in india if there is no spg property in the city i am going to then i end up staying at a taj property....similarly, when i am in london or singapore, i always stay with hilton (due to the clients)....if spg was present everywhere i went then i would not stay with any other chain....

BTW, while SPG may not be the easiest to achieve PLT, it's not the hardest - I think Marriott is harder.
that may be true but it doesn't mean that spg is giving out plat status like pretzels....
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:53 am

how did you come to the conclusion that i disagree with sagy????

where did i say people who are on the bubble won't do a mr????

i said there are a lot of people who would fall short by a couple of stays....maybe they fall short after doing a mr....maybe they don't live in a city that has a starwood property....maybe they thought they had 25 stays but at the last moment fall short by a stay....there could be dozens of reasons....
OK, so maybe I should have said this...

You seem to disagree by thinking this will help a lot of people qualify for PLT that otherwise wouldn't have. I think that if folks are on the bubble, they most likely will do something to ensure their status.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your statement.

i am not a consultant but i still travel quite a bit....i don't want a higher level than platinum....i'm happy with what there is....the reason i slpit my stays between 3 different chains is because there are places i travel to where one chain is available & there are certain places where another chain is available....

spg is my preferred chain but in india if there is no spg property in the city i am going to then i end up staying at a taj property....similarly, when i am in london or singapore, i always stay with hilton (due to the clients)....if spg was present everywhere i went then i would not stay with any other chain....
That makes sense and if you were able to stay only in SPG, then maybe a higher level would benefit you. But back to my point - in the USA, where most chains have properties in most places most people travel for work (have to insert the word "most" for all of you "exceptions" out there), imagine if one hotel chain could capture all of their stays...

that may be true but it doesn't mean that spg is giving out plat status like pretzels....
Again, it's exaggeration. I find it much, much easier to obtain highest status at a hotel chain than with an airline. (Yes, I realize that mileage runs to Delhi or wherever can go a long way, but I'm speaking of normal travel patterns.)
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
OK, so maybe I should have said this...

You seem to disagree by thinking this will help a lot of people qualify for PLT that otherwise wouldn't have. I think that if folks are on the bubble, they most likely will do something to ensure their status.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your statement.
it will help a lot of people qualify....imagine if you only have 23 stays come december time, with no more travel required....if it were not for this benefit then you would have to do a mr for 2 more stays....

there are a lot of people i know who don't really care about status....they fall short by a few stays or nights & don't make the effort to push that little extra....this benefit would again help them....

That makes sense and if you were able to stay only in SPG, then maybe a higher level would benefit you. But back to my point - in the USA, where most chains have properties in most places most people travel for work (have to insert the word "most" for all of you "exceptions" out there), imagine if one hotel chain could capture all of their stays...
there are lots of small cities i travel to in the US that don't have spg properties....i end up staying with hilton then....

like i said before, if i only started traveling to places that had spg properties then i would just stick to one chain....even then i'm not in favour of a higher level....

Again, it's exaggeration. I find it much, much easier to obtain highest status at a hotel chain than with an airline. (Yes, I realize that mileage runs to Delhi or wherever can go a long way, but I'm speaking of normal travel patterns.)
its the opposite for me....i have always found it easier to get status on airlines than on hotels....i average between 2-3 international flights a month....all in either business or first....with the bonus miles, i usually requalify for the highest status with both my preferred airlines by march every year....

since i split my stays between 3 hotel chains, it usually takes me much longer to get to top status with them....
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:15 am

it will help a lot of people qualify....imagine if you only have 23 stays come december time, with no more travel required....if it were not for this benefit then you would have to do a mr for 2 more stays....

there are a lot of people i know who don't really care about status....they fall short by a few stays or nights & don't make the effort to push that little extra....this benefit would again help them....

there are lots of small cities i travel to in the US that don't have spg properties....i end up staying with hilton then....

like i said before, if i only started traveling to places that had spg properties then i would just stick to one chain....even then i'm not in favour of a higher level....

its the opposite for me....i have always found it easier to get status on airlines than on hotels....i average between 2-3 international flights a month....all in either business or first....with the bonus miles, i usually requalify for the highest status with both my preferred airlines by march every year....

since i split my stays between 3 hotel chains, it usually takes me much longer to get to top status with them....
Thanks for your replies.

Maybe your experiences are unique, or maybe mine are. But either way, I guess we're just in different boats and value benefits differently. Like I said before, it just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
It works for me: 2 stays needed now; Platinum on 14 October.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your replies.

Maybe your experiences are unique, or maybe mine are. But either way, I guess we're just in different boats and value benefits differently. Like I said before, it just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time.
i think everyone's experiences are unique to themselves....but i will agree with you that you can't please all the people all the time....

the bottom line is that for a $20 fee increase you are getting a 2 stay credit....all the people who struggle to make elite status or need to do a mr at the end of the year will greatly appreciate this....
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
i think everyone's experiences are unique to themselves....but i will agree with you that you can't please all the people all the time....

the bottom line is that for a $20 fee increase you are getting a 2 stay credit....all the people who struggle to make elite status or need to do a mr at the end of the year will greatly appreciate this....
Plus1!^ After all, if someone is really not happy with the benefits with this card/program -- they clearly have a choice to take their business elsewhere!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mnmag
Plus1!^ After all, if someone is really not happy with the benefits with this card/program -- they clearly have a choice to take their business elsewhere!
I agree. This is a nice acknowledgment to the SPG elites that qual on stays vs nights. $65/yr for 2 stays has clear value to those who are approaching the next tier, and substantially less than a MR.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
2 stays are well worth the 20 dollar increase IMO. It'll help qualification in lean years for sure.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:15 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by lerasp
here's another question for Lurker: I currently don't have a business card. If I apply for one now (presumably it won't be active in time for October 14) - will I get 2 stay credit this year? Or is it binary - only active members on October 14 and the next "check" of active members is in February?
Any new cardmembers who sign up and are approved for the card on or after October 14th will automatically get credit for 5 stays and 2 nights towards 2010.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
It's great that SPG and Amex listened to the complaints on this board and changed the benefit ^. I just requalified for Plat yesterday but took two additional stays that I would not have but for requalification purposes. So, this benefit came too late to help me this year, but should be useful in future years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.