Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Resort Fees : How are benefits that are already free handled at SPG properties ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
If no alternative amenity was offered by the FrontDesk for Platinum Members, please use the following template when writing in to Customer Service:

I recently stayed at XX.

The following problem occurred:

Resort fee charged by this property covered amenities already included in my Platinum status (free Internet). The property did not offer alternative amenities. Please advise.

Kind regards

If the Customer Care officer have no clue about this, please advise them to:

Access their intranet site and reference a document there entitled "Resorts: Resort Charge Alternate Replacement Item for Platinum/VIP Members".

They will find this document in the SPG Learning Center under the Resorts/Hawaii section. If after reading this document, the customer care person has difficulty filing a formal complaint on your behalf, please ask to speak to their supervisor.

North America

United States
California - Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica - Fee: $18.00 daily; Replacement Amenity: Full breakfast
California - Westin Mission Hills & Resort - Fee $35 daily; Replacement Amenity: $5 credit off fee.
Florida - The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village - Fee: $15.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Florida - Sheraton Lake Buena Vista - Fee: $19.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: Fee waived for Platinum guests
Georgia - The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa: $22.47 (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Hawaii - Sheraton Kauai Resort - $31.25 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: Free valet parking
Hawaii - Sheraton Princess Kaiulani - $26.18 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Hawaii - Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach - $31.41 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: 250 Starpoints
Hawaii - Sheraton Waikiki, Waikiki Beach - $31.41 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: 250 Starpoints per night
Nevada - SLS Las Vegas - $30.00 daily (plus $3.60 tax); Replacement Amenity: Two free drink tickets
Nevada - W Las Vegas - $32.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: Two free drink tickets
New Mexico - La Posada de Santa Fe - $30.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: None offered

No Longer Charging a Resort Fee
North America
United States
Hawaii - The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, Waikiki - Previously, $36.65 (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered. As confirmed on January 31, 2016 (online and in person), the Royal Hawaiian no longer has a resort fee. This is applicable to all guests.
Print Wikipost

Resort Fees : How are benefits that are already free handled at SPG properties ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:38 am

I didn't have time to argue so I sent an email to customer relations - will see what happens.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Checking in at the PK for 1 night stay was offered a Brkfst cert for 1.
But I did speak up and this wasn't the 1st offer.
Maybe you have to push a little.

Not sure if I'd get the same result next time.
YMMV
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Checking in at the PK for 1 night stay was offered a Brkfst cert for 1.
But I did speak up and this wasn't the 1st offer.
Maybe you have to push a little.

Not sure if I'd get the same result next time.
YMMV
This should NOT BE A YMMV situation. I'm very disappointed to read from multiple posters that either nothing was substituted -OR- they had to push and push to get a substitution.

When this initiative was first announced, several of us noted that it sounded like an execution challenge since the substitution rules weren't going to be published -- effectively leaving it up to each property's discretion.

Well, here we are several weeks later and the reports aren't good. Disappointing.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It definitely is up to us. If nobody complains, nothing will change, and if you don't feel strongly enough to complain to someone who can do something about it, your complaint here is nothing more than a rant.

I simply said that it should not be up to us to police this. The fact that it is up to us is the problem. There are chains out there (Hyatt) that are able to implement standards without needing to use their customers as secret shoppers.

By posting to this thread my intention to stay elsewhere, that is complaining to someone who can do something about it, as this thread is monitored by folks at SPG who have more power than anyone I might speak with at the front desk of a hotel. I don't know why you think that posting here is not "complain[ing] to someone who can do something about it."

Customers can, and do, select properties based on whether the experience is likely to be problem free. When I plan a vacation, I come to FT and research the hotels I'm thinking of using. If I get the hint that I'll need to fight with the front desk, I will choose to stay elsewhere.

Last edited by johnep1; Oct 8, 2010 at 10:04 am Reason: Realized that we in no way agree.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by johnep1
So we're in agreement.
Not in the least.

I don't know why you think that posting here is not "complain[ing] to someone who can do something about it."
You can't just assume that someone will waltz along and find your random post. Even the lurkers can't be everywhere. Just because you know which bathroom Starwood's president uses doesn't mean writing a message on the wall there will be read. If you want someone to listen to you, be proactive. Posting here instead of sending a PM or email is pure laziness and an indication that you don't care and just want to rant in public.

You can accept the status quo and rant about it, or you can take action to change it.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I stayed at the Westin Napa this past weekend and was not offered any substitute amenities. I was told at check-in that the fee covered valet parking, gym use, and Internet - all of which is should be provided for Plats except for valet parking (which is included in the resort fee for everyone not just plats).

Where should I complain? On the website or via phone?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:10 am

Not in the least.
I feel better now. I was scared for a moment.

You can't just assume that someone will waltz along and find your random post. Even the lurkers can't be everywhere. Just because you know which bathroom Starwood's president uses doesn't mean writing a message on the wall there will be read. If you want someone to listen to you, be proactive. Posting here instead of sending a PM or email is pure laziness and an indication that you don't care and just want to rant in public.

You can accept the status quo and rant about it, or you can take action to change it.
SPG reads these posts, especially when it's a hot topic. My time being worth something does not equal laziness when I choose to spend my time and money praising and staying with other programs. As with USAir's "choice seat" decision, I choose to do something about this by sending receipts for other stays/flights that would previously have gone to SPG/USAir. I have done so much of that with USAir that they no longer reply to me, although I've sent in receipts showing about $10k of spend on UA due to their program changes. So posting here doesn't equal not doing anything else, but I sure won't stay at a hotel if I get the hint beforehand that I'll have to argue for something while there. I'd rather be enjoying my trip.

And if I posted a thread titled "Starwood president's bathroom," I have a feeling that the lurkers would read it (if they got to it before it got locked).

Last edited by johnep1; Oct 8, 2010 at 10:15 am
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
Where should I complain? On the website or via phone?
I would send email to [email protected], and send a copy to William.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:15 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...SPG reads these posts, especially when it's a hot topic. My time being worth something does not equal laziness when I choose to spend my time and money praising and staying with other programs.

And if I posted a thread titled "Starwood president's bathroom," I have a feeling that the lurkers would read it (if they got to it before it got locked).
While that is true, the anonymity at Flyertalk often renders our abilities to make issues known except in a very general sense. In order to be more surgical and apply the re-training where it is most effective, we need members to step up and contact Corporate Customer Service. Your cooperation in this is appreciated.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
In order to be more surgical and apply the re-training where it is most effective, we need members to step up and contact Corporate Customer Service. Your cooperation in this is appreciated.
Amen.

(Bolding and underlining mine.)

It would take less than 2 minutes to send an email to the customer care email address.

Example email:

"Property: xxyyzz
Dates: xx/xx/xxxx
Problem: Resort fee charged by this property covered amenities already included in my Platinum status. Property did not offer alternative amenities. Please advise."

Feel free to pilfer above.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:53 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Why provide an alternative amenity when you could simply waive these fees. Seems a lot simpler and subject to less discussion and frustration regarding what is equivalent value or not.

A big thumbs down to spg for this decision.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
Why provide an alternative amenity when you could simply waive these fees. Seems a lot simpler and subject to less discussion and frustration regarding what is equivalent value or not.

A big thumbs down to spg for this decision.
I guess I have to respectfully disagree here. Yeah, I know...big surprise.

However, SPG is not able to force resorts to stop charging resort fees. SPG is a marketing program, not the brand or divisional authority for the resorts in question. They were more than happy to step in and work with those brand and divisional authorities to broker an alternative to Platinum members being charged for internet once they were made aware of the issue, but forcing resorts to waive resort charges altogether is something beyond their authority to make happen.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Dec 5, 2012 at 10:37 am
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:10 pm

forcing resorts to waive resort charges altogether is something beyond their authority to make happen.
However, "applying pressure" to the brand and divisional authorities could help.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:14 pm

However, "applying pressure" to the brand and divisional authorities could help.
My guess is that most folks here really have no idea how that relationship really works, so I'll just leave it at that.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:16 pm

My guess is that most folks here really have no idea how that relationship really works
I'm sure none of us do, but since there was at least some kind of compromise that brought us this far, there must be some channel, official or otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.