Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Brussels Schuman, Belgium [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Car Free Sunday on September 20, 2015

On September 20, 2015, the 2015 Car Free Sunday will take place in the City of Brussels and throughout the Brussels Region. Car Free Sunday applies to everyone, except taxis, journey buses, assistance services, police and persons with a special permit. Personal vehicles will not be allowed for travel from 9:30am until 7pm. Public transport via STIB and De Lijn will be free on that day. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

Aloft Brussels Schuman, Belgium [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by gojko88
I acknowledge the fact that you have to turn every FT interaction into a duel, but I really don't want to poison this thread as well.

Still, for the benefit of the OP, I have to point out that actually going through Parc Bruxelles and next to the Palais Royal is a further detour to the already long walk from the Aloft to the city centre. A 6 km hike to and fro the city centre is not how most tourists envision a two-day city break.
You have to understand a couple of things.

If you post nonsense, it will very likely trigger a response from somebody else, especially if you have such extreme positions like in this thread. I do not want to go deeper into the subject, but limited experience due to your age and occupation as a student seem to be the main reason for certain extreme positions, which were challenged by other users.

This thread is a beautiful example...once again, the Aloft Brussels Schuman is right in the EU quarter, so next door to a major tourist attraction, the Sheraton is next door to a rather dodgy part of town (red light district and a run-down railway station not to mention a major construction site) so per se the Aloft seems to be more suited for a tourist. Walking from the Aloft down to Grand Place is a major tourist route, again not surprisingly given the upscale neighborhood and tourist attractions like the Royal Palace, museums, parcs etc.

For some strange reasons, I always see more tourists around Schuman in comparison to Rogier, but of course I do not have your vast experience of one or two visits to Brussels.

As pointed out before, some other major attractions are far away from the city centre, so public transport is needed anyway (Atomium, Herge Museum, Waterloo) , both the Aloft, the Sheraton and the 4P are next door to public transport and public transport in Brussels works quite well.

Most importantly, the poster asked about a good hotel and neither the Aloft nor the Sheraton, not even the 4P or Sheraton at the airport fit that bill, although the Sheraton at the airport has been renovated recently.

Hence, I recommended the Amigo (perfect tourist location) and probably the best hotel in town.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
I would also go for the Sheraton, but I think it depends a lot on what you want to see, how much you like walking versus taking the metro, and whether you mind being in a noiser though livelier part of town.

I live in Brussels and family have stayed at the Sheraton in 4-5 occasions when visiting and been both happy with the hotel and fine with the location. It is a construction site at Rogier, but at the weekend there's no work going on so it's not a disturbance.

I really like the Aloft, but I just think the area is dead at the weekend and it's further away from the centre.

To sum up, both have advantages and disadvantages and both the posters above make valid points but I'd personally go for the Sheraton.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FD1971
If you post nonsense, it will very likely trigger a response from somebody else, especially if you have such extreme positions like in this thread. I do not want to go deeper into the subject, but limited experience due to your age and occupation as a student seem to be the main reason for certain extreme positions, which were challenged by other users.
I fail to understand your need to resort to ad hominem attacks and prejudice based on circumstancial evidence (such as the outdated information in my FT profile).

I have done my best to reply to OP´s question as someone who lived in Brussels for almost two years and stayed at all SPG properties 8-9 times in total during that period. I will therefore leave it to the OP to decide whether your posts or mine (or neither) qualify as nonsense. To me, saying that Schuman is a top tourist attraction and that being based 3 km away from the city centre on a two-day visit is a great idea certainly doesn´t ring true. Aloft is still my favourite SPG property in Brussels, but that opinion is based on my own needs, not the OP´s. Hendricks makes a pretty good summary of that.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by gojko88
I fail to understand your need to resort to ad hominem attacks and prejudice based on circumstancial evidence (such as the outdated information in my FT profile).

I have done my best to reply to OP´s question as someone who lived in Brussels for almost two years and stayed at all SPG properties 8-9 times in total during that period. I will therefore leave it to the OP to decide whether your posts or mine (or neither) qualify as nonsense. To me, saying that Schuman is a top tourist attraction and that being based 3 km away from the city centre on a two-day visit is a great idea certainly doesn´t ring true. Aloft is still my favourite SPG property in Brussels, but that opinion is based on my own needs, not the OP´s. Hendricks makes a pretty good summary of that.
Why do you continue to repeat that nonsense?

Aloft-Grand Place is 2.3 km, Sheraton-Grand Place is 1.3 km according to Google Maps, so the difference is exactly one km...and by all means both the Sheraton and the Aloft are in centre of Brussels, however Waterloo might not fit that bill... @:-)
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:47 am

This is a pretty good choice for weekend stays when the EU is quiet and the rates are low (same for the HIX just around the corner). It's slightly closer to Schuman but also easy walking distance to Malbeek.
The Airport Bus ( line 21) terminates at Schuman also.
Rooms are good, super clean, young, enthusiastic and welcoming staff, very quiet area and building.
Market just around the corner.
Now with Marriott there is more choice ( very near Grand Place) but the Aloft is very easy by metro and a very good budget alternative ( perhaps more so for weekends rather than during the week and the higher EU rates).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:34 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Review: Oct 2016

Hi,

This was a very last minute decision and stay - booked 2 days before the stay. For this, I would say the rates were not too bad - but I guess it is just because it's a Friday night stay and the area where the hotel is located is not the first thing the weekend tourist to Brussels will choose.

This was my first stay as a newly minted Plat in the SPG program.

Location: Not too shabby if you are not doing the normal tourist stuff. Close to the EU neighbourhood and there are some nice interesting "local" shops to check out. Close to the Schumann train station.

Check-in: Medicore service - very casual and simple, not sure if it's normal for the Aloft brand in general. Had to return twice since the key card did not work to call the lift (the only way). No recognition as a Elite member. As I mentioned in the MR thread, the system did not recognize me as a Plat but as a Gold (only realized this when I turned around to ask about the comp. breakfast). The next morning asking another associate while checking out on why this is, he just reupdated the system with my profile and suddenly I was Plat (no idea why the initial glitch).

Room: Upgraded to a Savy room - in general a very nice modern room. Amenities was good for this standard (I compare this to the CY level in the Marriott chains). Had a bottle of water comp. and Nespresso pods. All in all a quality room for this hotel level.
The TV was huge and had very good channels for the different tastes of guests and best of all good quality (not some mediocre srambled signal)

Shower: Great shower and pressure - with a good showerhead with different options. This is one of the only shower design where water leakage to the outsides of the glass walls was limited and the floor mat does not get swept along with the shower door - a big thumbs up. Normal Baby Bliss products (as I experienced from my last Aloft stay 2-3 years ago).

Bar: The Wxyz bar area was fun - had some good range of drinks and best of all prices were not exorbitant.

Internet: No upgraded speed for Elite members, everyone gets the same speed. Though the next morning - it was down, but later it was fixed.

Breakfast: This is the part that I did not really like in general - but still not too shabby. The whole thing was very cafeteria type. Not sure if better service would have improved the impression, but to me, it felt rather strange as I was not sure what was or not included and they just left here and there while refilling halfway stuff the boxes. Furthermore some of the items were out and never replenished. Not sure because of the time, but there did not seem too many takers for the breakfast service.

All in all not too bad for a one night stay. Though I do feel that this brand does not really suite Brussels well (it's more for a hype, modern design type city - for example Rotterdam or Antwerpen) - maybe they built it in the wrong part of Brussels to really feel the vibe of the place.

Cheers!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
no updates here in a number of years....i have an upcoming trip to brussels towards the end of the year & this is the closest marriott property to where i need to be....

anyone stay here recently????what's the immediate area surrounding the hotel like????
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:01 am

????

Originally Posted by Keyser
no updates here in a number of years....i have an upcoming trip to brussels towards the end of the year & this is the closest marriott property to where i need to be....
anyone stay here recently????what's the immediate area surrounding the hotel like????
???? Would one questionmark not be sufficient?

what's the immediate area surrounding the hotel like????
Do you know StreetView? https://goo.gl/maps/NGQ2H1e6NHLtYDN69
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by thomasito
???? Would one questionmark not be sufficient?
if it were then i would not have used more....

Originally Posted by thomasito
i do....however a picture taken in october 2010 pales in comparison to someone's recent personal experience of suggesting a cafe or restaurant or shop or area to visit or avoid....contrary to popular belief, google is not the answer to everything....
X-ON likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:55 am

It’s been a few years since I’ve been there, but area was pretty nice and surrounded by a lot of EU buildings. Cinquantenaire is pretty nice as well.
Keyser likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:42 pm

The hotel is very convenient to many EU government facilites. There is a restaurant/arr area a half-dozen blocks away, centered on Rue Stevin. The real tourist center of Brussels, the Grand Place, Boukevard Lemmonier, etc. is a substantial walk or fairly easy transit ride.

Brussels has many very nice neighborhoods, depending of your budget. If you are okay with public transport - bus, subway, tram - many are easily accessible, even if not at your doorstep.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
The hotel is very convenient to many EU government facilites. There is a restaurant/arr area a half-dozen blocks away, centered on Rue Stevin. The real tourist center of Brussels, the Grand Place, Boukevard Lemmonier, etc. is a substantial walk or fairly easy transit ride.

Brussels has many very nice neighborhoods, depending of your budget. If you are okay with public transport - bus, subway, tram - many are easily accessible, even if not at your doorstep.
budget is not a problem since its a work stay but this property is a 2 minute walk from where i need to be....that was my only reason for considering it....

all my previous stays in brussels have been at the sheraton brussels & then the hilton grand place after the sheraton shut down....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.