FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Two exciting new benefits added to the SPG® Credit Card from American Express (U. S.) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1111131-two-exciting-new-benefits-added-spg-credit-card-american-express-u-s.html)

Starwood Lurker Jul 30, 2010 10:10 am

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPG® Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

On October 14, 2010, the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express gets even more rewarding with two new benefits.

New - It will be even easier to reach elite status. SPG and Amex will provide Cardmembers with five night credits each year. That means only 20 nights to achieve Gold status or 45 nights to reach Platinum status.

New - Cardmembers can also receive a complimentary third night when they use their Card to purchase a two night minimum stay at participating Sheraton hotels and resorts worldwide. This is an exclusive offer only available to SPG Cardmembers.

These two new benefits will replace the existing annual 50 percent–off Award. The annual membership fee for the Card will increase to $65 from the previous $45, but the first year of Cardmembership is still free. (Cardmembers will not pay the new annual fee until their next anniversary date.) Cardmembers should expect a letter detailing the changes including the new benefits in the next day or so.

Cardmembers will continue to enjoy access to best-in-class benefits such as earning at least 4 Starpoints per dollar at participating hotels and resorts, and the ability to redeem Starpoints for stays at more than 940 participating hotels and resorts in more than 93 countries and for flights on more than 350 airlines -- both with no blackout dates. Visit SPG.com to book reservations or redeem Starpoints.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

izzik Jul 30, 2010 10:15 am

Awesome!

Too bad there's no bump in qualifying stays (only nights).. maybe 2 stays or something. :p Anyway, this is better than nothing.

Is the complimentary 3rd night a once per year benefit or unlimited?

ctownflyer Jul 30, 2010 10:21 am

Neither benefit is exciting, and the $65 annual fee (over double what it was just a couple years ago) is :td::td::td:

redstorm Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am

Wow. That's nice to hear for our neighbours to the south.

Wish we could earn bonus points for staying at Starwood properties and take advantage of these two bonus benefits here with the Canadian SPG Amex.

Sigh.....

Redstorm

DrMaturin Jul 30, 2010 10:23 am

Is the Sheraton Buganvilias in Puerto Vallarta one of the participating Sheratons? I've already booked a four night stay there for next week using my card. How would I get this benefit?

Very good news in general, BTW.

Starwood Lurker Jul 30, 2010 10:25 am

Originally Posted by DrMaturin (Post 14392810)
Is the Sheraton Buganvilias in Puerto Vallarta one of the participating Sheratons? I've already booked a four night stay there for next week using my card. How would I get this benefit?...

All these answers will be forthcoming when the web site to book them is launched.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Eggbert34 Jul 30, 2010 10:27 am

I wonder if you get the third night if you use points but your card to cover any additional costs. The 5 free nights is useless as most the people who have the card travel frequently and it's not difficult to reach or keep platinum

Starwood Lurker Jul 30, 2010 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Eggbert34 (Post 14392837)
I wonder if you get the third night if you use points but your card to cover any additional costs...

No, these would be a pay for two nights and get a third night free option.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

beta1607 Jul 30, 2010 10:30 am

:td::td::td: on the fee increase and no comped stays.

NWAsilvELITE Jul 30, 2010 10:35 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 14392746)
Too bad there's no bump in qualifying stays (only nights).. maybe 2 stays or something. :p

We will have to see what the website says, but I am hoping for the same thing. 3 stay credit for card in lieu of nights. I always re-qualify on stays.

Hoping also the 3 for 2 is not at rack rates. Don't like the annual fee hike either.

edsh Jul 30, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker (Post 14392706)
New - Cardmembers can also receive a complimentary third night when they use their Card to purchase a two night minimum stay at participating Sheraton hotels and resorts worldwide. This is an exclusive offer only available to SPG Cardmembers.

What usually ruins this type of offer is that the rate for each of the two paid nights is near the rack rate for the hotel. If all normal discounted rates are allowed then it becomes more valuable.

ma91pmh Jul 30, 2010 10:43 am

Will the 3-for-2 at Sheraton be on best available rate? Or will it be on a 'special' rate that will mean you essentially the pay same that you would have done anyway?

ctownflyer Jul 30, 2010 10:47 am

Originally Posted by edsh (Post 14392919)
What usually ruins this type of offer is that the rate for each of the two paid nights is near the rack rate for the hotel.

+1, and considering that most of us qualify on stays these 2 benefits mean nothing.

:(

sfozrhfco Jul 30, 2010 10:48 am

Sounds like the regular Z3H/Z3R promo which exists now anyway for anybody. Basically they are taking away the SPG50 and charging a higher annual fee with very little given in return.

BlissWorld Jul 30, 2010 10:56 am

...a complimentary third night when they use their Card to purchase a two night minimum stay at participating Sheraton hotels and resorts worldwide. This is an exclusive offer only available to SPG Cardmembers.
If it's the same as the current Z3H requiring you to book a special 2 night rate in order to get the 3rd off, then this isn't really a benefit whatsoever.

The annual membership fee for the Card will increase to $65 from the previous $45.... best-in-class....
Evidently, SPG is aligning themselves with Delta's best-in-class benefits!! Well, an annual fee increase right off the bet. It sure seems like Delta's strategy!

SPG is getting Stingier by the minute. Seriously, did they recently hire somebody from SkyPesos to run Starwood Preferred Guest?