Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

An idea: Make Free Internet for Plats Optional

Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond

It's nice that SPG gives us PLAT's free internet, but I can't help to look at the bill every morning and think to myself that I now get a few less points and the company really benefits way more than I do since they pay the bill!!! Maybe there should be an option for PLAT's to select free internet or an ADDITIONAL 500 bonus points and give free internet on all weekend stays and points stays? The only stays I pay for personally are point stays and weekend stays so let's improve those benefits a lot more and cut back on weekday benefits unless the goal is to get companies to add SPG as their preferred travel hotels.....
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Smile

Originally Posted by Z-man
It's nice that SPG gives us PLAT's free internet, but I can't help to look at the bill every morning and think to myself that I now get a few less points and the company really benefits way more than I do since they pay the bill!!! Maybe there should be an option for PLAT's to select free internet or an ADDITIONAL 500 bonus points and give free internet on all weekend stays and points stays? The only stays I pay for personally are point stays and weekend stays so let's improve those benefits a lot more and cut back on weekday benefits unless the goal is to get companies to add SPG as their preferred travel hotels.....
You seem to forget that "all us platinums" don't always have a company paying their bill.
As a good company man you should appreciate that you save your company some money.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
You have a good point. I mean, if you aren't paying for it personally, why not jack up the price your company pays so that you can get a few extra points. Your company can simply pass on the cost to the consumer who uses their products or services.

Inte lagom
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Lousy idea for a host of reasons.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:28 pm

if you were working for me i will fire you immediately
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is on par with falsifying an expense report.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
We ran a business for many years. We were happy for perks to be used to full advantage, in the spirit they were given. However if a perk was obviously being abused there was no choice but to remove it.

I vote no.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Is this a joke?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP , SPG PLT, AMEX PLAT, HERTZ PC,
Zman you should be embarrased for even posting this......if you worked for me I would fire you!!!!!!! But it so happens that you don't and since you sound like you are a sneaky sales rep just buy the points and tell your company it was for Internet. There a way you can earn the points.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I use my company's money as if it's mine, so I am very happy to have free internet access on SPG, Hilton, and Hyatt hotel stays. Internet access in Europe can be very expensive.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:37 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I rarely refer to the company I work for as they rather than we. So the way I see it, we have a travel budget that should suffice in order to meet our goals for the year. The more wisely we use that budget, the more we can squeeze out of it towards our goals. So assume that this benefit saves us $20/day in internet charges. Let's assume that a room costs us $160/night. That means that before we were able to spend 8 nights in customer locations trying to meet our goals and now we can spend 9 nights in customer locations trying to meet our goals and will have a better chance of meeting those goals. Now not every company considers employees as part of the team. But I'd rather work for a company that does. And I'd prefer to have employees and colleagues who feel the same. I wouldn't fire you. I'd try to educate you first.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I rarely refer to the company I work for as they rather than we. So the way I see it, we have a travel budget that should suffice in order to meet our goals for the year. The more wisely we use that budget, the more we can squeeze out of it towards our goals. So assume that this benefit saves us $20/day in internet charges. Let's assume that a room costs us $160/night. That means that before we were able to spend 8 nights in customer locations trying to meet our goals and now we can spend 9 nights in customer locations trying to meet our goals and will have a better chance of meeting those goals. Now not every company considers employees as part of the team. But I'd rather work for a company that does. And I'd prefer to have employees and colleagues who feel the same. I wouldn't fire you. I'd try to educate you first.
Good point. See it the same way! ^
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yosithezet
The more wisely we use that budget, the more we can squeeze out of it towards our goals.
Very responsible and well-stated.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
If you were working for me, your last day in the office would be soon. If "the company" is paying for your stay (and you admitted that you rarely pay for your stays out of your own pocket) then I expect that you use all benefits possible to bring the bill down. Chosing more points to give you more free stays (I as a company pay for because points is simply a different word for the "discount" I should get) would not be my intention at all.

And more: I am pretty sure your department has a travel budget. Every Euro can only be spend once. And a Euro spend on internet (to help you getting more points) might be missing elsewhere.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
WOW, i was really not expecting this kind of reply. I guess you all run your own businesses or work for companies where the bigwigs do not drive ferraris (SP?) and you drive a honda (like me). Anyways, these are small items for a company to pay and if you want to fire me cuz you spend $300,000 on a car when I struggle to pay for my $35,000 car, then so be it.
Also, spending 80-100 nights a year in a hotel for a company, I feel that I deserve the benefits of doing so. Is there no one here that feels this way???????
Just to be clear, I am not talking about adding $200 a night to my bill to get points, but since I chose where I stay, what do I really get out of free internet that the company pays for anyways?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.