Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPGŪ Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPGŪ Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Sounds like the regular Z3H/Z3R promo which exists now anyway for anybody. Basically they are taking away the SPG50 and charging a higher annual fee with very little given in return.
If that's the case, then it's very deceitful and there's only one new "benefit" - achieving elite status a little faster. In my particular situation, I get zero new benefits because I achieve Gold through $30K spend, but I never rack up enough nights/stays for Plat.

The one thing I do get is the 44% increase in annual fees
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:06 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Okto
If that's the case, then it's very deceitful and there's only one new "benefit" - achieving elite status a little faster. In my particular situation, I get zero new benefits because I achieve Gold through $30K spend, but I never rack up enough nights/stays for Plat.

The one thing I do get is the 44% increase in annual fees
Same for me.
on increase in annual fees.

Here's something innovative: let customers choose between the benefits and increased fee or no benefits and no increased fee! More choice for consumers is always ideal, IMO.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
We will have to see what the website says, but I am hoping for the same thing. 2 stay credit for card in lieu of nights. I always re-qualify on stays.

Thank you SPG / William!^
I am sure the SPG Promotion professionals will realise that giving 5 nights credit and no stay credit is unfair and probably not intented and when the detailed rules come out, will give us a token 2 or 3 stay credit
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Thumbs down

New benefits are useless. There is already a ZH3 code and how often would I really want to stay at a Sheraton? I qualify on stays, not nights so this won't really help. And the fee is getting to be high enough that I'm going to seriously re-consider whether I keep the card (especially depending on how my SPG travel shakes out for the next year)

And yes this does remind me of SkyPesos
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
If it's the same as the current Z3H requiring you to book a special 2 night rate in order to get the 3rd off, then this isn't really a benefit whatsoever.

As someone who often uses the Z3H rate I would disagree. The Z3H rate while not based on the cheapest bookable nightly rate invariably gets me a lower average rate than otherwise bookable at the Sydney hotels I use it at.
The Z3H rate requires a Fri or Sat arrival so if this new benefit doesn't have this same restriction and books at the same rate as the Z3H rate then it is indeed a worthwhile benefit.

All this of course is pointless speculation for me as SPG doesn't offer the card in Australia
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Sounds like the regular Z3H/Z3R promo which exists now anyway for anybody. Basically they are taking away the SPG50 and charging a higher annual fee with very little given in return.
thats what I thought the sec I just read Williams post.

although it will help out those who actually get status based on Nights,it really should have been chose between say 2 stay credits or 5 nights

bout I will end up with is an Increase in the Annual Fee
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
I wonder what would happen if we don't accept the terms of the agreement. Do we just continue to pay $45 annually until our credit card expires and then the card will cancel automatically? Because the new benefits do not justify the fee increase IMHO.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 pm

Lurker,

Is the SPG-50 award going away all together or just the free certificate you get with the AMEX card ?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
SPG is getting Stingier by the minute.
That should read "Amex is getting stingier by the minute".
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Neither benefit is exciting, and the $65 annual fee (over double what it was just a couple years ago) is
+1

Definitely not impressed, oh well as long as they don't mess with a 1:1 transfer on AA ill pay the sixty-five bucks.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
On October 14, 2010, the Starwood Preferred GuestŪ Credit Card from American Express gets even more rewarding with two new benefits.

New - It will be even easier to reach elite status. SPG and Amex will provide Cardmembers with five night credits each year. That means only 20 nights to achieve Gold status or 45 nights to reach Platinum status.

New - Cardmembers can also receive a complimentary third night when they use their Card to purchase a two night minimum stay at participating Sheraton hotels and resorts worldwide. This is an exclusive offer only available to SPG Cardmembers.

These two new benefits will replace the existing annual 50 percent–off Award. The annual membership fee for the Card will increase to $65 from the previous $45, but the first year of Cardmembership is still free. (Cardmembers will not pay the new annual fee until their next anniversary date.) Cardmembers should expect a letter detailing the changes including the new benefits in the next day or so.

Cardmembers will continue to enjoy access to best-in-class benefits such as earning at least 4 Starpoints per dollar at participating hotels and resorts, and the ability to redeem Starpoints for stays at more than 940 participating hotels and resorts in more than 93 countries and for flights on more than 350 airlines -- both with no blackout dates. Visit SPG.com to book reservations or redeem Starpoints.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

I hope we get stay credits instead of night credits. I always qualify thru stays, not nights since my trips are usually 1 night, deposition, go home.

BTW.. I have 2 SPG AMEX business cards, would that still qualify?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
I will wait until seeing the details of the 3 for 2.

A couple days ago, I was over the phone with an Amex CSR who indicated a website address (did not bother to write it down) which has something to do with Z3H/Z3R. If that is really what we get, then this is purely a degrading.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
when the web site to book them is launched.
Uh oh. Is this website being built by Starwood's web "gurus" or (hopefully) AmEx's web professionals?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
The SPG50 certificate was worth way more to me. How about waiving the annual fee at 100 nights?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:55 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by whitedoor
Lurker,

Is the SPG-50 award going away all together or just the free certificate you get with the AMEX card ?
As far as I am aware, just the one that SPG/AMEX cardmembers receive.

Best regards,

William

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.