Go Back   > > >

Old Jul 20, 10, 4:33 pm   #31
Community Director
Original Poster

Great input from lots of people. I've brought the list current. Of course, there are varying opinions, and I have done my best to fairly represent them in the summary. I appreciate those who have given word pictures of the hotels as part of their list. It brings the summary more alive, than simply listing names of hotels.

Additional input is welcomed.
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 10, 12:10 am   #32

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Plat, Hyatt, LC, IC RA
Quote:
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
France
Paris - Prince de Galles - 2009/10 reports of indifferent service, but location is great - across from Tuilerie Gardens and near Louvre (have always treated us like kings- also has a good concierge staff)
Nope. It is the Westin that is accross from the Tuilerie Gardens. The PdG is next to the George V hotel off of the Champs Elyssees. Which one of the two did you mean to include?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 21, 10 at 12:45 am Reason: corrected quote
Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 10, 12:47 am   #33
Community Director
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
Nope. It is the Westin that is accross from the Tuilerie Gardens. The PdG is next to the George V hotel off of the Champs Elyssees. Which one of the two did you mean to include?
I corrected the error earlier today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Paris - Prince de Galles - near Arc de Triomphe off Champs Elysee and next to George V, superb concierge staff, 2009/10 reports of indifferent service other than concierges
Paris - Westin - location is great - across from Tuilerie Gardens and near Louvre, reports of indifferent service
Old Jul 21, 10, 7:56 pm   #34
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
It is the Westin that is accross from the Tuilerie Gardens.
Yes, the Westin Paris has a great location but I honestly do not think it deserves to be on this listed here. This was a former InterContinental hotel which the ICHG sold off after the refurbishment of the Le Grande. Rooms are tiny and worn (may have been refurbished by now) and it struggles to provide basic service.
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 10, 1:46 am   #35
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Yes, the Westin Paris has a great location but I honestly do not think it deserves to be on this listed here. This was a former InterContinental hotel which the ICHG sold off after the refurbishment of the Le Grande. Rooms are tiny and worn (may have been refurbished by now) and it struggles to provide basic service.
I agree. There are far too many negative reviews to put this property on a "best" list. The location is the only good thing about it. I am not denying that some have had nice stays here, but a lot of people have had pretty bad stays and the property just isn't up to snuff. I think the management is trying to cater to too many different groups. This is always a problem in large Parisien hotels, but others pull it off better.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 10, 9:04 am   #36
Community Director
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Yes, the Westin Paris has a great location but I honestly do not think it deserves to be on this listed here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I agree. There are far too many negative reviews to put this property on a "best" list.
Valid points. I've now deleted the property from the list.
Old Jul 22, 10, 10:17 am   #37
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'd like to add the Sheraton CDG to the list. It's superbly located in the airport by the RER/TGV station and the interior is an oasis of calm - lots of wood, natural light, and even has a Club lounge.
izzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 10, 11:32 am   #38
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
I'd like to add the Sheraton CDG to the list. It's superbly located in the airport by the RER/TGV station and the interior is an oasis of calm - lots of wood, natural light, and even has a Club lounge.
The Sheraton CDG is an excellent airport hotel, as is the Sheraton AMS and BRU and FRA. But they should not be compared to the finer city hotels.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 10, 10:43 am   #39

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
I would like to add a little bit to the list

Austria:

Sheraton Salzburg:

located directly at the Mirabellgarten, great service, warm welcome, very good kitchen and an outstanding lounge. BTW great platinum treatments. I like it on every weekday

Schloß Fuschl

Imperial Wien

Bristol Wien

I would prefer not to write anything about GH...

Italy:

Grand Hotel Firenze:

OUTSTANDING!!! Service, Kitchen, Concierge, Reception at its best!!!
Hope after reflagging into St. Regis and renovation will be the same level!!!

Westin Excelsior Roma:

Good Kitchen, good Service, good Concierge, good Reception and good Location.
A bargain with points after downgrading from cat.6 to 5!!!

Germany:

Westin Grand Berlin:

Unbeatable Location ( Unter den Linden / Friedrichstraße )
Huge and outstanding Breakfast Buffet, good Concierge, good Reception.

Westin Grand München Arabellapark:

Even though a little bit out of town it is a very good starting point for munich and surrounding area on every weekday. Huge and outstanding Breakfast Buffet, good Kitchen ( ZEN ), nice Bar, nice Lounge with great view, good Concierge.

Le Royal Meridien Hamburg

Fürstenhof Leipzig

Elephant Weimar
Forstbetrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 10, 4:03 pm   #40

Programs: Delta
Our favorite was the Sheraton Krakow. Nice room, great location, b'fast included and friendly, genuinely cheerful staff.
momia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 10, 6:35 pm   #41

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
IMO there's no way the Sheraton CDG should be on this list. One would never, in a million years, stay there for a weekend or "just because".

I would add the Westin Munich and may go for a long weekend trip to the Christmas Markets. Their service was great, lounge is one of the best I've ever experienced and you can basically eat there all day if you're not a European-style eater who likes huge meals. The location is great with easy access to the underground right across the street and just a short ride to major places like Marienplatz.

And from Munich it's easy access to Bavaria and things like the Neuschwanstein Castle that you can do for the day.
BulaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 10, 10:21 pm   #42

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Blue Palace - Crete, Greece

Le Meridian - Barcelona, Spain

Definately NOT Prince Des Galles... was given horrible room as platinum member on their honeymoon
albutt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 10, 11:38 pm   #43
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Quote:
Originally Posted by albutt27 View Post
Le Meridian - Barcelona, Spain
Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 10, 2:50 pm   #44

Old Classic Grand Hotel -
One of the best hotels in austria:

Hotel Imperial Vienna

Do it on the "Vienna opernball" days, you will feel like a real kaiser
Sandibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 10, 1:46 am   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb View Post
I would like to add a little bit to the list

Austria:

Schloß Fuschl

I have still not seen any recent reviews of this property... can you pls share a bit on why you liked it? Many thanks in advance!
jaejaez is offline   Reply With Quote