Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W St. Petersburg--delayed opening (March 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond

Searched and couldn't find a thread exclusively on this property. It will not be opening in September as planned.

In March I made an award reservation for several nights in October and received the following from the Director of Sales last night:
-------------------------------
Well hello there LAURAJOYCE!

We've received your reservation but W-OOPS, our opening date has been changed (the ghost of construction) so we can Welcome, Wow and Wuv you only after the 1st March 2011.

Where is my room? It would be our pleasure to arrange an alternative five star hotel accommodation in the city at the same rate and to invite you for a ride from and to the Airport.

Excited about W SP only? Let us know your alternative dates, and we will rebook your reservation after the 1st March 2011 and get ready to be WOW-d!
Warm wishes,
------------------------------------------

Thoughts? My dates are fixed. Do I have any say in terms of which hotel they put me in and, if so, what should I lobby for? (I'm not familiar w/ hotels in St. Petersburg.) Pick-up from the airport doesn't do me any good because I'm arriving by train. Should I ask for some points back in compensation or just count myself lucky that they're finding me another room?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by laurajoyce
Searched and couldn't find a thread exclusively on this property. It will not be opening in September as planned.

In March I made an award reservation for several nights in October and received the following from the Director of Sales last night:
-------------------------------
Well hello there LAURAJOYCE!

We've received your reservation but W-OOPS, our opening date has been changed (the ghost of construction) so we can Welcome, Wow and Wuv you only after the 1st March 2011.

Where is my room? It would be our pleasure to arrange an alternative five star hotel accommodation in the city at the same rate and to invite you for a ride from and to the Airport.

Excited about W SP only? Let us know your alternative dates, and we will rebook your reservation after the 1st March 2011 and get ready to be WOW-d!
Warm wishes,
------------------------------------------

Thoughts? My dates are fixed. Do I have any say in terms of which hotel they put me in and, if so, what should I lobby for? (I'm not familiar w/ hotels in St. Petersburg.) Pick-up from the airport doesn't do me any good because I'm arriving by train. Should I ask for some points back in compensation or just count myself lucky that they're finding me another room?
Ask to be met at the train station!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
Hotel Grand Europe and Astoria are the top hotels in the city, but they are more St.Regis than W. I don't know about anything similar to W in style of similar level. are you departing by train also? definitely ask for ride to/from train station and taxis are a nightmare to deal with if you don't speak russian (and they rip you off)
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Plt SPG Plt
I stayed at the Renaissance St Petersburg 2 years ago due to the lack of a starwood option and was very pleased.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I've been offered the Angleterre, Kempinski Molika 22, Grand Hotel Europe, Astoria. Any thoughts on which I should take? (perhaps I'm better off in the Russia forum with this question)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by laurajoyce
I've been offered the Angleterre, Kempinski Molika 22, Grand Hotel Europe, Astoria. Any thoughts on which I should take? (perhaps I'm better off in the Russia forum with this question)
The Angleterre (where I've stayed) is the mid-priced side wing of the far more luxurious Astoria. They have their own entrances and lobbies, and are marketed as separate hotels, but the upper guest floors are all connected. If you have the Astoria as an option chose it over the Angleterre.

I walked through the public areas of the Grand Hotel Europe, looked a bit more gaudy than the cool, elegant, Scandinavian Astoria. Both are old Tsarist buildings, totally restored.

Have never been in the Kempinski.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.