Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Head Injury caused by Sheraton - Hotel not accepting liability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Head Injury caused by Sheraton - Hotel not accepting liability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I fail to understand what is still considered an accident in the US.

To what I read and see there is always somebody responsible in the US.
I can't be responsible for what you read and see. I've stated the legal standard for negligence in the U.S., i.e. falling below the duty of care owed to the person claiming injury.

And this makes the difference. Easy example: Consumer has an accident on a slippery road. Lawyer pleads: The corporation responsbile for that road was highly negligent because everbody knew that this road was slippery.
I have no idea where you've seen this. Roads in the U.S. are not maintained by private corporations but by the government. The "everybody knew" aspect goes to assumption of risk which, again, is a question of fact, and part of the determination. In the U.S., we have affirmative defenses, i.e. even assuming the truth of the allegations of the complaint, defenses to liability can be asserted.

Result in the US: 1 Mio compensation.
No case like this would ever be brought in the U.S., nor would it be defended on basis that you suggested.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:16 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
50k? For a superficial cut? Thats more than the average salary for a U.S. resident, and probably much more than that for a Chinese worker. I was starting to feel for your girlfriend a little up until that post, now all I see is greed.
^

Maybe $5,000 to cover a lifetime supply of concealing makeup and vitamin e capsules...and thats being generous!

But please... $50K for a little scar on your forehead?

I have a friend who sports a 1 inch scar on their forehead attained at a Starwood property. They were a little too ...shall we say "into the moment" , and misgauged the relation of their forehead to the nightstand.

Maybe they should sue too!!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Roads in the U.S. are not maintained by private corporations but by the government.
The road in front of your supermarket connecting the parking lot with the public road is certainly private. And however: Please accept a bit of ability to abstract. In Europe our legal thinking is not governed by precedent but by abstract concepts. And the general concept I experience when travelling and working in both worlds is that in the US responsibility for your own actions rarely rests with yourself but most of the time somebody else is held responsible for what we understand as accidents whereas outside the US accidents are more widely accepted simply as bad luck.

It will not help now to start a philosophical discussion about "accident" and "negligence" because the concepts are different notwithstanding the same vocabulary. Cases like the tobacco judgements or the McDonalds hot coffee judgement are cases that would have never been successful in most parts of Europe, however were successful in the US.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The road in front of your supermarket connecting the parking lot with the public road is certainly private.
That's called a "drive way."

And however: Please accept a bit of ability to abstract. In Europe our legal thinking is not governed by precedent but by abstract concepts. And the general concept I experience when travelling and working in both worlds is that in the US responsibility for your own actions rarely rests with yourself but most of the time somebody else is held responsible for what we understand as accidents whereas outside the US accidents are more widely accepted simply as bad luck.
Again, I can't be responsible for you erroneous understanding of American law.

It will not help now to start a philosophical discussion about "accident" and "negligence" because the concepts are different notwithstanding the same vocabulary.
Whose discussing philosophy? The statement was made that all accidents are considered compensable in the U.S. That is patently false, given that the standard used is "negligence," which has a distinct meaning that permits distinguishing between non-compensable accidents and compensable injury.

Cases like the tobacco judgements
What tobacco judgments?

or the McDonalds hot coffee judgement are cases that would have never been successful in most parts of Europe, however were successful in the US.
I would suggest you are entirely unfamiliar with the facts surrounding the McDonalds hot coffee judgment.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
That's called a "drive way."
Thanks for this kind and polite education. If your German or French were as good or bad as my English we could certainly continue this discussion in my language. And my "erroneous understanding of American law" was at least tought by a US law school located within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and it was good enough to pass a bar exam.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is patently false, given that the standard used is "negligence," which has a distinct meaning that permits distinguishing between non-compensable accidents and compensable injury.
The patently false assumption is that there is a globally valid standard for "negligence". Furthermore there is no global standard for "contributory negligence" and last but not least, there is globally valid definition of "fate".
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for this kind and polite education. If your German or French were as good or bad as my English we could certainly continue this discussion in my language. And my "erroneous understanding of American law" was at least tought by a US law school located within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and it was good enough to pass a bar exam.
Then you understand the standard of negligence and I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The patently false assumption is that there is a globally valid standard for "negligence".
I never said that there is. You said this:

"To what I read and see there is always somebody responsible in the US."

That is a demonstrably wrong statement, both practically and legally. I've provided the U.S. standard for negligent liability, one which, presumably, you learned when you attended that law school in Massachusetts.

Furthermore there is no global standard for "contributory negligence" and last but not least, there is globally valid definition of "fate".
And no one ever suggested that there were. Perhaps you should review your own statements in this thread.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then you understand the standard of negligence and I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
You still fail to understand that there is no globally valid standard of negligence. The concept of negligence in China is different from the concept of negligence in the US and the concept of negligence in Europe. Maybe the difference is not even by definition but by implementation.

You further fail to consider that every incdident or accident can have several root causes caused by negligence at both ends, the injured person and the violator. And you fail to understand that the concept of "fate" is by far more important in jurisdictions other than the US.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You still fail to understand that there is no globally valid standard of negligence. The concept of negligence in China is different from the concept of negligence in the US and the concept of negligence in Europe. Maybe the difference is not even by definition but by implementation.
Europe is irrelevant to this discussion. I don't know the standard of negligence in China and, I suspect, neither do you. That's what I suggested consulting counsel. The concept in the U.S., however, is very clear, and it is far from clear that the Starwood corporate parent, which is domiciled in the U.S., is not liable under principles of respondeat superior for the actions of the bellman in China.

You further fail to consider that every incdident or accident can have several root causes caused by negligence at both ends, the injured person and the violator. And you fail to understand that the concept of "fate" is by far more important in jurisdictions other than the US.
"Fate" is irrelevant in the U.S. Please explain what relevance European concepts of negligence have to (1) this discussion, and (2) your erroneous statement that, ""To what I read and see there is always somebody responsible in the US."
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Europe is irrelevant to this discussion. I don't know the standard of negligence in China and, I suspect, neither do you. That's what I suggested consulting counsel. The concept in the U.S., however, is very clear, and it is far from clear that the Starwood corporate parent, which is domiciled in the U.S., is not liable under principles of respondeat superior for the actions of the bellman in China.

"Fate" is irrelevant in the U.S. Please explain what relevance European concepts of negligence have to (1) this discussion, and (2) your erroneous statement that, ""To what I read and see there is always somebody responsible in the US."
You are fully right, fate is unknown and not accepted in the US. This is why I still hold that the US system alway tries to hold somebody responsible and in most instances this is successful. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Rest assured. I am pretty much familiar with China, because I am in charge of a professional organisation dealing with China legal relations. And Europe was only used as an example because I (maybe different from you) have worked with concepts in different European jurisdctions, in the US and in China. I could have used Australia or South Africa too, but I am not familiar with these.

To bring this to an end: My European education is not based on precedent but on abstract concepts and we use these concepts for the sake of discussion. Your US education is based on precedent, this provokes a fully different style of legal thinking and discussion. However, your style of discussion appears to be trained by cross examination. But this is certainly not what we are doing here. I believe we are going far off topic and so much I am enjoying this, we should stop it.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are fully right, fate is unknown and not accepted in the US. This is why I still hold that the US system alway tries to hold somebody responsible and in most instances this is successful. Quod erat demonstrandum.
Fallacious logic. "Standard of care" is a far more objective standard than, "fate," and clearly differentiates between liability and non-liability in a negligence situation. If you were correct in your assertion about the U.S. standard, virtually all negligence actions would succeed which, of course, they do not.

Rest assured. I am pretty much familiar with China, because I am in charge of a professional organisation dealing with China legal relations.
Fine. Then why don't you tell us the standard used in China.

And Europe was only used as an example because I (maybe different from you) have worked with concepts in different European jurisdctions, in the US and in China. I could have used Australia or South Africa too, but I am not familiar with these.
Again, the concepts used outside the U.S. are irrelevant to your continued assertion that, "To what I read and see there is always somebody responsible in the US."

To bring this to an end: My European education is not based on precedent but on abstract concepts and we use these concepts for the sake of discussion. Your US education is based on precedent, this provokes a fully different style of legal thinking and discussion. However, your style of discussion appears to be trained by cross examination. But this is certainly not what we are doing here. I believe we are going far off topic and so much I am enjoying this, we should stop it.
Fine.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by saad
we were having lunch at a sea side restaurant at the hotel & she ordered a chicken dish....they brought her fish by mistake....she realised this after taking a bite but by then it was too late....
How do you mistake fish for chicken? Texture, taste, and general appearance are completely different.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by missydarlin
^

I have a friend who sports a 1 inch scar on their forehead attained at a Starwood property. They were a little too ...shall we say "into the moment" , and misgauged the relation of their forehead to the nightstand.

Maybe they should sue too!!
A "friend"? lol! Your secret is safe with me!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
What type of doctor stitched up your gf's forehead? It is too late to do anything else at this point to minimize the scarring. Hopefully she won't develop a keloid. If you are still in Shanghai, try to find a western trained ENT at one of the expat hospitals or a plastic surgeon that specializes in facial plastic surgery. You don't want one that does breast augmentation. Someone that might be able to provide a high quality consultation is a plastic surgeon that specializes in blepharoplasty for asian eyes (i.e., double eyelid creation). Good luck and I hope your girlfriend isn't too distraught because after a few years, any scarring will be virtually unnoticeable. In the meantime, make-up will do a wonderful job at hiding any scar that may form. But, make sure that she doesn't wear any make-up until it is FULLY healed (give it at least two months)! And tell her not to make a lot of facial expressions until the stitches come out because every time she wrinkles her forehead she is pulling on those stitches which will result in more damage. Check your PMs when you get a chance.

Last edited by 4Health; Jul 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.