Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Currently Closed) W Retreat & Spa, Vieques, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Currently Closed) W Retreat & Spa, Vieques, Puerto Rico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:29 am
Suspended

Said this before but no one (especially from Starwood?) has ever given me an answer...if the amenities given from paying the resort fee are identical to the Platinum benefits (gym access, etc.), why aren't there alternate amenities and/or a reduction/elimination of the resort fee?

That logic alludes me...
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by onfillmore
Perhaps the local Motel 6 is more in your budget zone?
Or maybe just trying to inflame a situation is your "zone".
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by nfg05
$65/day resort fee on "Free" Weekend Night?
Agreed, resort fees (like fuel surcharges) shouldn't be added to free nights

(I'm not sure if it's still true, but Hyatt used to waive their resort fees when you have a "free" night).
Old Aug 1, 2010, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MyTravels
(I'm not sure if it's still true, but Hyatt used to waive their resort fees when you have a "free" night).
I believe this is still the case.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
I just came back from here on Sunday. This is one of the most breath taking properties I've seen.

The service here is great, and the staff is beyond the friendliest!

From the start, my party took Vieques Airlink from Isla Grande Airport in San Juan. Upon arrival at VQS we stepped into the W airport lounge and checked our bags with the W agent. Sip a couple drinks and wait for the shuttle to take you to the W. Your bags are placed in your room before you even arrive.

W arrival is like coming to Jarassic Park. After check-in we were given a tour from the concierge Robert, who by the way kept tabs on us all week and made our stay the most pleasent by providing answers and recommendations to everyone of our wild requests We also arrived just in time for "Sunset Sip" which is at 6:15p to 6:30p everyday, a free preset drink and hor d'oeuvres

Alcohol prices vary around $15 a drink/ shot on property (we brought some of our own from San Juan and from in town in Vieques.

The food at Wet as well as the Living Room was good, nothing exceptional. Though our dinner at Mix was phenominal!

In an effort to see some things outside of the hotel and get some cheaper food we took cabs to Esperanza (There are only 4 on Vieques, and avg. $5 to 10 ea. way person). After so many cab rides, I'd recommend renting a car ($70-$90 a day), or a scooter ($50 a day). You will also need some sort of private transportation because these cabs won't go off road to the private beaches (Red and Blue were my favorite).

We took the snorkal gear off property and went to the pier and saw some cool fish. My friend was daring enough to kayak from the W beach to the island 2mi. out. In Esperanza is were we rented jet skis and the scooters (Fun Brothers Co.)

The staff is really knowledgable of what's in town, and where is the best place is to find anything. Cash is king in town. Don't bother taking your SPG Amex out, because the W is the only place that will take it. Merchants will take Visa or MC, but the cabbies won't. Beware, as many of the horror stories I've heard before, we did get stranded one evening in town. No cabs were answering their phones and the W had to personally get us. It was all fun though

The demographic at the W was "older", 30-40ish and very "couple'y" There's not a whole lot of mingling going on and it's super quite. Beware, the Living Room lounge (bar & kitchen) shuts down around 10p. The late night menu is bleak (Turkey Club, Tom., Basil, Motz plate, 2oz Ham, and Cheese Plate). Same goes for in town, you can not find anything to eat after 11p tops.

1 to 10, this W was a 10! ^
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
I had read on this thread that Vieques Island had a very high cancer rate, some posters named the island jokingly as cancer island. For some reason those posts are no longer present therefore a word of caution to fellow travelers to check out this destination by doing some research.

You can start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieques,_Puerto_Rico

"Public health
There have been claims linking Vieques' higher cancer rate[8] to the long history of US weapons testing on the island, especially after the US Navy admitted using depleted uranium at least on one occasion in 1999. Dr. Nayda Figueroa, an epidemiologist for Puerto Rico's Cancer Registry, claimed that research showed Vieques' cancer rate (latest available is for 1995 to 1999) was 31 percent higher than for the main island. Dr. Michael Thun, head of epidemiological research at the American Cancer Society, cautioned that the variations in the rates could be attributed to chance, given the small population on Vieques.[9] A 2000 Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) report concluded that "the public had not been exposed to depleted uranium contamination above normal background (naturally occurring) levels".[10]"
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by psyflyer
I had read on this thread that Vieques Island had a very high cancer rate, some posters named the island jokingly as cancer island. For some reason those posts are no longer present therefore a word of caution to fellow travelers to check out this destination by doing some research.

You can start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieques,_Puerto_Rico

"Public health
There have been claims linking Vieques' higher cancer rate[8] to the long history of US weapons testing on the island, especially after the US Navy admitted using depleted uranium at least on one occasion in 1999. Dr. Nayda Figueroa, an epidemiologist for Puerto Rico's Cancer Registry, claimed that research showed Vieques' cancer rate (latest available is for 1995 to 1999) was 31 percent higher than for the main island. Dr. Michael Thun, head of epidemiological research at the American Cancer Society, cautioned that the variations in the rates could be attributed to chance, given the small population on Vieques.[9] A 2000 Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) report concluded that "the public had not been exposed to depleted uranium contamination above normal background (naturally occurring) levels".[10]"
We are quoting "wiki" now as fact?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Dr. Nayda Figueroa, an epidemiologist for Puerto Rico's Cancer Registry, claimed that research showed Vieques' cancer rate (latest available is for 1995 to 1999) was 31 percent higher than for the main island.
As a physician who works in clinical research (development of new drugs), I can tell you that the increased risk almost certainly applies to residents of the island, who are subject to sustained exposure.

Nonetheless, I myself will not visit the property because of this warning--especially while we still travel with our children.

I think the chances of actually geting cancer from a few days stay are miniscule--but if I or a family memmber got cancer (and of course the chances are fairly high many of us will because that's the nature of living longer lives in the 21st century)--one will always wonder "was it worth visiting Vieques? Maybe that was the cause..."
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
No secret censoring going on and all the posts are still there. You are just in the wrong thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...egory-6-a.html
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
The original sources of my post re:increased cancer risks are contained in this thread (with an amazingly similar title!) I am guessing the new thread was created to slip around the cancer chatter.

I re-post this begrudgingly since I really love the Caribbean and SPG and wish there were more properties that fit that description, but I also realize many people would be upset to find this information out AFTER their visit. Further, I know a couple that just built a huge house on that island and are living there full-time, happy and healthy.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:28 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by gozetta
The original sources of my post re:increased cancer risks are contained in this thread (with an amazingly similar title!) I am guessing the new thread was created to slip around the cancer chatter.
Please don't insult your mods.

Our standard practice is to have a thread where folks can discuss a property under development. Once we have an actual stay report, we use that as the starting point for a new thread. The June 16 post in this thread is the first from someone who has actually stayed. Note my post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14142718-post3.html

I've now retitled the older thread to make it clear it was preopening discussion and have locked it.

SanDiego1K
Starwood Mod
Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:27 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
While I am not trying to suggest that the pollution problems are not a concern on the island and in surrounding waters, my understanding of the situation based on the geography is this:
  • The island of Vieques is about 22 miles long.
  • The W Vieques is located on the north shore about 8 miles from the west end.
  • The former bombing range is on the eastern end of the island.
  • Bahía Salina del Sur and Roca Alcatraz (the primary subject of the water pollution studies) are located on the south shore near the east end of the island.
  • This map shows both sites.
  • As the crow flies, it's about 11 miles from the W Resort to the southeastern bay where the USS Killeen was sunk.
  • As the dolphin swims, it's about 11 miles from the W Resort to the northeast bays and 16 miles around the eastern tip to the southeastern bay.
  • It's about 37 miles from this same southeastern bay to the Westin St John.

With this understanding, I'm not so much against diving and swimming on the western half of the island and especially the northwestern shore.

Here is a map of scuba and snorkeling locations from one of the island's dive shops. The easternmost dive site is about 5 miles from Alcatraz Reef.

If someone wants the opinion of an expert scientist, I think that Dr. James Porter at the University of Georgia would be an ideal person to contact. He has been instrumental in identifying risks around Alcatraz Reef and also in its cleanup. (See UGA link below.)

"The source of the public water is the Rio Blanco, located on the main island of Puerto Rico. There is no reasonable pathway that would connect bombing activities at the LIA with the Rio Blanco." -- ATSDR Public Health Assessment (2001)

Additional information:
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
1999 UGA press release

Last edited by sc flier; Aug 2, 2010 at 6:08 am
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat
upgrade.me Not sure if you're a Plat or not. If you are, did you get an upgrade and if so to which room?

Considering this property end September although not sure if weather could be a bit dodgy.

Last edited by kippax; Aug 2, 2010 at 11:26 am
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by kippax
Considering this property end September although not sure if weather could be a bit dodgy.
You're not sure if September is peak hurricane season?

Yes, the weather could be a bit dodgy. But it could be perfect. If you need a guarantee that weather won't get in the way, this is not the place to go in Sept. If you can handle making a judgment call shortly before departure, you might find that the expected cost savings greatly outweighs the risk of needing to pay some airline cancellation or rescheduling fees.

From the Announcements page:
Hurricane Policy

Hurricane season officially extends from June 10th through November 30th each year. In the event of a hurricane* on Vieques, W Retreat & Spa will replace a guest's vacation for the entire duration of the reservation (this guarantee applies to room and applicable taxes). This policy applies to transient reservations and groups as stipulated in their contracts - please check the terms of your reservation for specific conditions or exceptions.

The stipulations that apply are as follows:
  • Replacement vacation must be taken at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island within one calendar year. Reservations for comparable accommodations will be made per availability. Blackout dates do apply (as determined in our sole discretion).
  • Any commission owed to travel agents will be paid on the stay interrupted by the hurricane.
  • Other expenses including, but not limited to, air fares, food and beverage, and/or chartered services are not included in or covered by this guarantee.
  • The guarantee offered by Starwood Hotels and Resorts is subject to change at the discretion of the operator at any time without notice.
  • Guests holding confirmed and fully deposited reservations (and are within the non-refundable deposit window) that are unable to travel to the resort due to a hurricane* closing the airport or hotel will be given the option of a full refund or a one-level room category upgrade, based on availability, on their next visit to the hotel within one calendar year.

*A hurricane is defined/validated by the National Hurricane Center, typically a tropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind is 74 mph (64 knots) or greater.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
Originally Posted by kippax
upgrade.me Not sure if you're a Plat or not. If you are, did you get an upgrade and if so to which room?
I needed a room w/ 2 queens, so I was placed in a Spectacular. I originally booked a Wonderful, then saw I moved to a Mega, and ended up in the Spec. I asked what the difference was and was told it was all about the view. The Spectacular room was on the 3rd floor (top floor) of the villa overlooking half the pool and half the ocean.

I spoke to another Plat, and he was upgraded to a Marvelous for a 8 day stay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.