Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Bandung Hotel & Towers, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Bandung Hotel & Towers, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by camsean
I got one. It wasn't enough to make me want to return the hotel again though.
how come????what was wrong with this place????
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:37 am
Suspended

The location is nice and peasceful up on the slopes of mountain, however you'll need to catch taxies to get around.
Its actually a very urbanised area and you wont even notice its a hill, but once inside its an oasis away from the madness outside. Meter taxis are hard to come by here, I usually just hop onto an "angkut"
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
The Sheraton is located in Dago which is in the north of the city. It has nice grounds, and the rooms are well maintained. Note that only the rooms in the club wing have bathtubs. All the rest have only showers. Don't pay extra for a pool view room if you are staying on the weekends as they suffer from noise when the pool fills up with screaming kids. The location is nice and peasceful up on the slopes of mountain, however you'll need to catch taxies to get around.

The food and beverage offers in the club lounge and the hotel restaurants are pretty average. If you have any more specific questions please feel free to pm me.

My 2 cents re the comparison with the new Hilton;The Hilton is the better hotel.

The rooms at the Hilton are much, much nicer and more stylishly modern. The buffet breakfast is also probably one of the best I have had in Indonesia. The only negative I can think of for this hotel is the location, on a busy road near the centre of the city is not the best in Bandung. However, the hotel is! So good in fact, I've started working on Hilton Honours Gold.
i'm using points so will probably end up booking the standard room & get an upgrade to a better one....by the way, how are plats treated here when it comes to upgrades????

i'm now considering the hilton but the problem is that i am travelling with a few other people who all want to stay at the sheraton....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saad
how are plats treated here when it comes to upgrades????
Towers room or non-towers Jr Suite (which actually is a full suite)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario33
Towers room or non-towers Jr Suite (which actually is a full suite)
great....

is full breakfast offered in the lounge or is it just snacks????
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saad
great....

is full breakfast offered in the lounge or is it just snacks????
Full breakfast (with an egg station) but the spread in the main restaurant has a far better variety of food.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:48 am

Its actually a very urbanised area and you wont even notice its a hill, but once inside its an oasis away from the madness outside. Meter taxis are hard to come by here, I usually just hop onto an "angkut"
Not when compared to the Hilton.

Won't notice the hill? Really? Have you seen the view from the Balcony of the towers lounge?

The metered taxi situation has changed. Since Bluebird has started operations in Bandung, they are much easier to find. It is possible to order a Bluebird on (022) 7561234.

"Angkot" is spelt with an 'o' btw.

Last edited by camsean; Mar 1, 2010 at 1:59 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:34 am
Suspended

Not when compared to the Hilton.

Won't notice the hill? Really? Have you seen the view from the Balcony of the towers lounge?

The metered taxi situation has changed. Since Bluebird has started operations in Bandung, they are much easier to find. It is possible to order a Bluebird on (022) 7561234.

"Angkot" is spelt with an 'o' btw.

Well the Hilton seems to be on a "hill" if you view it from the railway tracks, if thats how you define a hill.

The main access road to the Sheraton is on very gentle slope, and the resort grounds itself is flat. For most guests, they wont even realise its on a hill. Even from the lounge balcony, the valley behind the resort seems more like a ravine to me but there are some dwellings on a slope if you look far left. I am not denying its technically on a hill, but its not obvious for most guests.

Not sure how often you stay there but if you managed to call a Bluebird taxi to pick you up from the hotel, it would have been a miracle. AFAIK the local taxi mafia does not allow Bluebird taxis to "pickup" passengers from the resort. You will need to board the taxi from another venue, so not as convenient as you would have thought.

And please forgive my "melayu" accent, still working on my indonesian pronunciations, pak
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:05 am

Not sure how often you stay there but if you managed to call a Bluebird taxi to pick you up from the hotel, it would have been a miracle. AFAIK the local taxi mafia does not allow Bluebird taxis to "pickup" passengers from the resort. You will need to board the taxi from another venue, so not as convenient as you would have thought.
I don't want to debate geography with you, but have a look at a topographic map of Bandung and check the elevation of the hotel in comparison to the area where the Hilton is.

I'm not sure how often you stay there, or how long ago you were there, but there is actually a Bluebird taxi rank at the hotel. The taxis wait down beside the ballroom. The taxi mafia, is no longer an issue.

In addition, Express, Putra and Golden taxis all use the meter. It really isn't a problem to find a metered taxi in Bandung any more. Your information regarding the situation is out of date.

I wasn't aware that anyone had an accent in writing

Good that the Sheraton didn't increase to category two, however
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:59 am
Suspended

I'm not sure how often you stay there, or how long ago you were there, but there is actually a Bluebird taxi rank at the hotel. The taxis wait down beside the ballroom. The taxi mafia, is no longer an issue.
Latest stay was last weekend, didnt notice any taxi rank except for the inhouse hotel cars which is actually run by the Bluebird group. With all those security checks, seems to defeat the purpose if they allow meter taxis to wait in there.

As for accents, I will "cuba" to be clearer but you may tell me I should "coba"
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good that the Sheraton didn't increase to category two, however
i guess this is probably my main reason for wanting to stay here....only 4k points for a weekend stay....can't beat that....
Old May 7, 2010, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

just an update....decided to stay here for my trip next month....will just be spending the night & then driving to bandung early in the morning....

the rate is only $58 a night so i decided to go with this rate as compared to the 2k points per night for a reward stay....
Old May 19, 2010, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

hey guys....i have another question....

i will be taking a taxi/car from jakarta to bandung & the hotel is providing a toyota avanza from a company called golden bird for rp. 875,000....is that a good price????i know i could probably do better if i booked outside the hotel....any recommendations on where to look or who to go with????
Old May 19, 2010, 7:12 am
Suspended

Golden Bird is part of the Blue Bird group which is the most reputable taxi company in Indonesia, and many hotels use them. Avanza is a rather small vehicle, a 1.3 litre mini-mpv which may be ok for short rides but not long distance.

Just as a guide on cost of things over there; the train fare from Jakarta on executive class is 55,000 per person, the shared shuttle vans go for anything between 100,000 to 170,000 per person depending on type of service and vehicle (the most comfortable being the VIP service using Toyota Alphard with seats similar to aircraft biz class)

If you are departing from central Jakarta and have an extra hour to spare, the train (only the Argo Gade executive class is left running now) can be quite interesting.
Old May 19, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Its been a few years since I used to visit Bandung regularly, but the first few years
( 1980's) I stayed at the Sheraton. Pleasant enough, but too far away from downtown.
When the Hyatt opened, I switched, and was very happy with them. If they are
still around, I'd highly recommend.

As for getting there, take the train!! As well as convenience, it is much safer than
driving. I have done both many times ( as well as flying when Merpati ran that
route), but the train is best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.