Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Old May 24, 2010, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Arrow Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

We just returned from a 3-night stay at the Tambo del Inka and my only wish is that we could be held "captive" there for another week It was an amazing experience. I'll be posting a detailed review on TripAdvisor in the next few days. There are a lot of options for day trips to take in and around Urubamba. The wonderful concierge staff there (Maria, Erika, Giancarlo) can help you with the planning. They have an in-house travel agency, but you can also request them to get you a car and do your own trips (much more cost-effective)

/mod note

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...iscussion.html for discussion before the hotel opened.

/mod

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 25, 2010 at 8:25 am
Old May 24, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rxgal
They have an in-house travel agency, but you can also request them to get you a car and do your own trips (much more cost-effective)
How is the driving from Cuzco and around the region?

I've driven in lots of unusual places, but I've never really thought of driving on this trip. Should I reconsider? I love the freedom of going where I want, when I want. If the roads are in decent enough shape, and there are road signs, I might want to drive.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
How is the driving from Cuzco and around the region?

I've driven in lots of unusual places, but I've never really thought of driving on this trip. Should I reconsider? I love the freedom of going where I want, when I want. If the roads are in decent enough shape, and there are road signs, I might want to drive.
It would not be worth it. Roads in the region are full of pot holes and speed bumps. Virtually no road signs other than the sign upon a new town. Hiring a private car will give you the same freedom without the hassles of driving.
Old May 25, 2010, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imm2b
It would not be worth it. Roads in the region are full of pot holes and speed bumps. Virtually no road signs other than the sign upon a new town. Hiring a private car will give you the same freedom without the hassles of driving.
Yeah, I kind of had that suspicion. Is there a "best way" to higher a car & driver in the region, or is everyone about the same price for the same level of service?
Old May 25, 2010, 9:41 am
Original Poster

I completely agree with imm2b, hire a car. I have great recommendations for car service in both Lima and Cusco/Sacred Valley. Both drivers speak English, are safe drivers and are extremely affordable. I'll post contact info for both this evening
Old May 25, 2010, 12:06 pm

I am also very interested in going to this property in July - I would like to know more information about going to Machu-pichu from the hotel and to and from the airport in Cuzco.

P.S. How was the Platinum treatment?
Old May 25, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I have booked in for three nights in Aug. I would like to find a local car and driver if anyone has a suggestion and an idea of cost.
Old May 26, 2010, 7:46 am
Original Poster

The driver that we used in the Sacred Valley is Sabino Chirinos and his email address is [email protected]. Just mention that you got his name from guests at the Tambo who he took to Maras, Moray and Chinchero. He speaks English and will work with you on price. He offered to do pickups from the Cusco airport and he lives near the Tambo in Urubamba, so I'm sure he'll be available for car service in and around the Sacred Valley. We wanted to see the countryside, but didn't want to pay the Tambo tour rates ($150 pp), so Sabino was a great option for us.

Platinum treatment was wonderful, but I suspect that they will treat all guests well. The staff is well trained and anxious to make the hotel a premiere destination in Peru. Be sure to stop by Kiri bar and talk to Fritch. He has some great stories.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I thought i would let you know that when i called spg they gave a great AAA rate of $319.00 for the junior suite. Much less then the SPG website and no matter what i did I was not able to replicate it online.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
How far is this property from Cuzco?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91
How far is this property from Cuzco?
IIRC, it was an hour by taxi.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:37 am

If you can make your reservations by June 28th the hotel's Offers page has the following special:

Discover the majesty of the Sacred Valley in Peru

Experience one of the world’s most emblematic destinations to discover the fascinating history of Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley in Cusco. Receive 30% discount for reservations made between June 20 and June 28, 2010.

A minimum stay of 2 nights is required. Valid for stays between August 15, 2010 and July 15, 2011.

I got a rate of $225/night +29% tax and service compared to a rate of $390++ with the regular search. The rate is cancellable until 2 days prior to check-in

My only regret is that the Palacio del Inka in Cuzco is not scheduled to be open until July 2011. Take a look at the link- the hotel should be very impressive

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3287

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jun 26, 2010 at 12:47 am
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
For those of you that managed to get C&P reservations, did you get in touch with the hotel directly to find availability? I couldn't find any availability online, neither can the Plat desk so I am wondering whether I should get in touch with the hotel directly.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I got a rate of $225/night +29%
The 19% tax is only for Peruvian natives and visitors who spend more than 60 consecutive days in Peru. The 10% charge is a country-wide hotel service charge.

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
For those of you that managed to get C&P reservations, did you get in touch with the hotel directly to find availability? I couldn't find any availability online, neither can the Plat desk so I am wondering whether I should get in touch with the hotel directly.
I had difficulty booking with cash and points, but thought that it was because I did it mid-May, when the hotel first became available on SPG.com. I had to call in and the CSR contacted the hotel directly to get the rate and make the booking.

Last edited by j3brooklyn; Jun 30, 2010 at 7:58 pm Reason: clarified # of days in Peru to avoid tax
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Tambo here we come!

Mrs. osutraveler and I are going to enjoy some of our free weekend night certificates and a few additional days on points in the first week of September. A few questions for the Tambo del Inka experts:

Trip to Machu Pichu:
We're going to take the easy way out and take the train to Aguas Calientes from Ollantaytambo and probably spend one night in in Aguas Calientes so we can get up to Machu Picchu ealy. What is the best way to get to the train station from the hotel?

Activites around Tambo del Inka
Are there activities around the hotel (hiking, kayaking, etc)?
What activities do you recommend around the Sacred Valley?

Tambo del Inka Resort
Is it worth designating some time just to hang out at the resort? The Mrs. is the layaround the beach kind of gal but I usually need something to do constantly

Based on earlier recs, I'll probably reach out to the driver to get a ride from the airport and maybe do some day trips. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.