Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
rxgal & iahphx,

Here is my current plan (already booked)

8 people in three rooms (3 misc aged children)

2 nights at the Tambo
2 nights "somewhere" in Agus Caliente (suggestion please)
3 night back at Tambo

Thoughts on day trips while at Tambo?

Thanks for your ideas.

Tasnam
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
My wife and I just completed a completely enjoyable 2 night stay at the Tambo. We booked cash & points, and it was a steal at that price, especially because the hotel included the excellent breakfast buffet in the rate.
Unfortunately, AFAIK, the fabulous breakfast buffet is no longer included in the cash and points award (and possibly not in the all points award either). When I was there in July, I was told that cash and points award reservations made after June 15 did not get the breakfast included.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tasnam
rxgal & iahphx,

Here is my current plan (already booked)

8 people in three rooms (3 misc aged children)

2 nights at the Tambo
2 nights "somewhere" in Agus Caliente (suggestion please)
3 night back at Tambo

Thoughts on day trips while at Tambo?

Thanks for your ideas.

Tasnam
Alas, I think you have too much time at the Tambo unless you're REALLY into relaxation (like expensive spa treatments). I think there are 2 full days worth of relaxed-paced sightseeing in the Sacred Valley. I gave some of the highlights in my previous post. Other than touring the ceramics factory (1/2 hour) and a walk through town (nothing interesting, half hour), there is NOTHING to do in Urubamba. One of the hotel concierges told me this, and he was right!

There might also be some hiking in the area (other than hour or two walks around the ruins), but it would be SERIOUS hiking. The Sacred Valley has a few other "active" activities, like rafting, but these are seasonal. For instance, I inquired about rafting and was told the water levels were too low.

And if you arrive in the afternoon at Aguas Calientes, you can spend two nights there (full day at Machu Picchu) and leave the following morning. Where you stay depends on how much you want to pay. The tripadvisor ratings seem accurate to me.

Unless you hate more urban environments, you could stay at day or two in Cusco as well. You could also sightsee Cusco from the Tambo, about an hour, 10 minutes from the hotel.

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Unfortunately, AFAIK, the fabulous breakfast buffet is no longer included in the cash and points award (and possibly not in the all points award either). When I was there in July, I was told that cash and points award reservations made after June 15 did not get the breakfast included.
Ha -- I finally lucked into a C&P perk! Two years ago, I specifically booked the Pudong St. Regis because everyone told me they gave lots of perks (free happy hour, breakfast) to golds, and they changed the rules right before I arrived!

Without the free breakfast, C&P would be somewhat less attractive. I didn't see a price tag on breakfast, but given their other F&B prices I'm sure it's an amount that would be "insane" for Peru. So you probably wouldn't want to pay for it. And your stay would be a little less pleasant.

EDIT: I looked at my email C&P confirmation for my rez made in late May. It specifically says free breakfast buffet. So if they took that off more recent C&P rezzies, it could obviously be a problema.

Last edited by iahphx; Sep 8, 2010 at 7:09 pm Reason: more info
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:37 pm

Without the free breakfast, C&P would be somewhat less attractive. I didn't see a price tag on breakfast, but given their other F&B prices I'm sure it's an amount that would be "insane" for Peru. So you probably wouldn't want to pay for it. And your stay would be a little less pleasant.
IIRC, they wanted $20 for the breakfast. It's a great breakfast, but not a $20 breakfast in Peru. Also, on our last day, there were only 5 other guests in the hotel, so they didn't put the buffet out. We were able to order unlimited food from the kitchen, but many items that we had eaten the day before were not available.

My sense was that this hotel is experiencing serious problems due to lack of bookings. While we were there we rarely saw another guest, but there were plenty of staff. Also, we noticed that there are already numerous physical problems with the hotel due to either shoddy workmanship or construction during the wet season. In many places woodwork (floors, walls, doorways) is cracked, split, and warped. Still a lovely hotel with attentive service, but not quite ready for prime time.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
IIRC, they wanted $20 for the breakfast. It's a great breakfast, but not a $20 breakfast in Peru. Also, on our last day, there were only 5 other guests in the hotel, so they didn't put the buffet out. We were able to order unlimited food from the kitchen, but many items that we had eaten the day before were not available.

My sense was that this hotel is experiencing serious problems due to lack of bookings. While we were there we rarely saw another guest, but there were plenty of staff. Also, we noticed that there are already numerous physical problems with the hotel due to either shoddy workmanship or construction during the wet season. In many places woodwork (floors, walls, doorways) is cracked, split, and warped. Still a lovely hotel with attentive service, but not quite ready for prime time.
Bad break on not getting the free breakfast, but EVERY meal at the Tambo that you pay for is going to be a bad value compared to "normal" Peruvian prices. Twenty bucks for their buffet breakfast doesn't strike me as that bad!

I also witnessed very low occupancy levels. I'm not so sure it's a "serious problem" though. My guess is that nobody knew when the hotel would open -- especially travel agents -- so they didn't steer any of their clients there. I'm guessing occupancy levels will rise sharply next year. There's really nothing like the Tambo in the Sacred Valley, so they should have no trouble attracting the well-heeled crowd. I'm sure they'll soon attract the necessary "buzz."

As far as "physical problems," I think you're overstating the situation. I noticed a few blemishes and, perhaps, poor design choices (like the white cushions on the lounge chairs outside aren't going to do well). But the place currently looks very sharp. I wouldn't want folks to get the wrong impression.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by 3galsontour
A request for a river view went unnoticed as well and one of our junior suites rooms enjoyed a view of a construction site. A tip would be to request a room with a balcony (ground floor) on the side of the hotel that the restaurant is in. Sadly while the "butler" suggested he book us into the hotel restaurant sitting near the fire what happened was we were beside the door to the kitchen and comically no other people were actually in the restaurant. The pool is also on the cold side which would be appeased with a hot tub - but that is reserved for the spa clients - unless you get special permission.
3galsontour,

So that I understand your post

#1 "Request the Junior suite on the ground floor because of the balcony" - is this because the Junior suites on the 2nd & third floors do NOT have balconies?

#2 If we request a seat "by the fire" do we automatically get put by the kitchen? (Meaning no other seats by the fire exists) OR did you just not get placed away from the kitchen?

#3 What can we expect from this "butler"?

Thanks so much.

Tasnam
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: HiltonHHonors Silver; SPG Gold; Midwest Airlines
Breakfast?

Does anyone have more info on the free breakfast? We booked 2-nights with points and decided to add a third, but had to make a new reservation using cash and points (the hotel was sold out for the first two, so we were unable to change our prior rez).

Anyway, we are here now and love it, but were told we do not receive the free breakfast.(which the rest of the hotel seems to be getting) I am pretty sure it was listed when we booked, but no mention of it now when I view rez from spg.com.

Anyone have any news?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kelleek
Does anyone have more info on the free breakfast? We booked 2-nights with points and decided to add a third, but had to make a new reservation using cash and points (the hotel was sold out for the first two, so we were unable to change our prior rez).

Anyway, we are here now and love it, but were told we do not receive the free breakfast.(which the rest of the hotel seems to be getting) I am pretty sure it was listed when we booked, but no mention of it now when I view rez from spg.com.

Anyone have any news?
Check your confirmation email and read this thread. At least with the C&P rate, breakfast was originally included when the hotel opened, and then they took it away. If it's not in your confirmation, you're out of luck, I'm afraid. Too bad, because breakfast is quite good -- and not really worth paying for.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: HiltonHHonors Silver; SPG Gold; Midwest Airlines
Check your confirmation email and read this thread. At least with the C&P rate, breakfast was originally included when the hotel opened, and then they took it away. If it's not in your confirmation, you're out of luck, I'm afraid. Too bad, because breakfast is quite good -- and not really worth paying for.
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not keep the confirmation email and only have what is listed in my spg account. Oh well.
I just reread this thread and noticed the post about reservations after June 15 not being included. Apperently I missed it last night when reading in my tired state.

FYI.... the breakfast is $26 with service fees and taxes in included.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by kelleek

Anyone have any news?

Hey kelleek I am here at Tambo RIGHT NOW as well. (Oct 11-13 & Oct 15-18)

I check tomorrow - Monday

I'll send you a PM

Tasnam
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Great Stay

I have just come back from a three night stay at Tambo Del Inka. The stay was absolutely fantastic! I stayed at the property with my son on a C+P rate. I was given a room on the first level which had an outdoor patio with two recliners. The staff was very attentive, and the room was very large and spacious. The business center had very fast internet, and while I didn't dine at the restaurant I did enjoy the bar area one night.

I found the location to be ideal for exploring the sacred valley. We did two day trips to Pisac, Morray and other areas of the sacred valley. We also did a day trip to MP.

I used Sabino Chirinos, who was recommended in one of the previous posts and found him to be a great driver for about half the price of what the hotel charges. His email address is [email protected]. When e-mailing him you will get a response from a lady named Karo, but Sabino will be the person waiting for you at the airport.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I used Sabino Chirinos, who was recommended in one of the previous posts and found him to be a great driver for about half the price of what the hotel charges. His email address is [email protected]. When e-mailing him you will get a response from a lady named Karo, but Sabino will be the person waiting for you at the airport.
I would also recommend Sabino for Sacred Valley tours and Cuzco pick-up. He works with another driver (whose name I've forgotten) who is also courteous and reliable. You can negotiate a bit with them if you find their prices a little high (pretty much everyone in Peru is going to think you're a gazillion-aire if you're staying at the Tambo, so it's perhaps wise to try to reduce this mark-up).

I would not recommend a day trip to Machu Picchu. It's doable, but I would suggest tearing yourself away from the Tambo and at least overnighting in Aguas Calientes (I stayed in a cheap but acceptable $40 inn). You can then return to the Tambo if you like. I highly recommend more Tambo/Sacred Valley time and only minimal Cuzco time (a day is fine there).
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:13 pm

Bad break on not getting the free breakfast, but EVERY meal at the Tambo that you pay for is going to be a bad value compared to "normal" Peruvian prices. Twenty bucks for their buffet breakfast doesn't strike me as that bad!

I also witnessed very low occupancy levels. I'm not so sure it's a "serious problem" though. My guess is that nobody knew when the hotel would open -- especially travel agents -- so they didn't steer any of their clients there. I'm guessing occupancy levels will rise sharply next year. There's really nothing like the Tambo in the Sacred Valley, so they should have no trouble attracting the well-heeled crowd. I'm sure they'll soon attract the necessary "buzz."

As far as "physical problems," I think you're overstating the situation. I noticed a few blemishes and, perhaps, poor design choices (like the white cushions on the lounge chairs outside aren't going to do well). But the place currently looks very sharp. I wouldn't want folks to get the wrong impression.
Actually, I didn't pay for the breakfast, I convinced them to comp us. I think the breakfast was "worth" $20, or $26 with taxes, but overpriced for Peru. The occupancy levels did strike me as a "serious problem", as they laid off half of the staff during our stay. As for the physical problems, they wouldn't prevent me from recommending this hotel, but I've never encountered such shoddy workmanship in a brand new hotel of this level.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,HH Gold,AA Plat
I just sent an email to Sabino Chirinos and am awaiting a reply. What fare was quoted to you for the Cuzco to Tambo ride? So I know what to expect.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m_macleod
I just sent an email to Sabino Chirinos and am awaiting a reply. What fare was quoted to you for the Cuzco to Tambo ride? So I know what to expect.
80 soles for the ride from the airport to the hotel. US$80 for a full day Sacred Valley tour (admission fees extra).

Frankly, I think these prices are fair, but you could probably get them a little cheaper. I'm not sure what would happen if you said you were quoted lower rates elsewhere and wondered if they could go a little lower.

Always a problem when you're staying at a hotel like the Tambo: you pretty much look like Mr. Moneybags. Of course, by Western (but not Peruvian) standards, these prices are very reasonable, so you might be willing to "spread the wealth around." I was, but I wouldn't want to pay more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.