Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:47 am

Just back - quick thoughts

I see a lot of people recommending DUP tours. I tried hard to give them my business but they always took their time answering emails and phone calls/skypes. Maybe they are good in person but, when they don't respond, I get nervous.

Went with a guide David Ramos, who is also written up here and in TA. He did a good job of adapting to what our group needed.

We stayed 3 nights at TdI: was fine, did not like the resto, and did not like the overpricing that they tried on tours and for 3rd person in the room. Try Quenela resto outside in the town, about 10 min walk.

We stayed overnight in AC and had 2 days at MP. I debated beforehand if I day would be enough and am extremely happy my wife insisted that we take our time. It was expensive to do it this way but you have time to see everything at MP. We did the "extras" of Sun Gate and Inka Bridge one day and the sunrise and HP the next. We self-guided with a MP guidebook and that allowed us to never feel rushed (unlike tour guide experience).

You are spending a lot of money to get to MP and you will most likely never return, so don't shortchange yourself on the time you spend there.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Have a few questions:

1. Any idea what the average low season rate for the Tambo is? I just watched the rate for the days in June I wanted jump from $240 to $310 ... (yes I realise June isn't the low season anymore, just wanted to know if I should reconsider this trip/stay...)

2. Has anyone taken the Vistadome train from Cuzco to Agua Calientes? Would you say it was worth it for the view and experience? Or would it be pretty much the same thing as the train from Ollanta to AC?

The way I have it planned, I'd have to travel back to Cuzco/Poroy from TdI, to catch the morning train to AC/MP, just for the experience. Not sure if it's worth it. Have planned it that way because I've had altitude sickness before, so I'm leaving Cuzco till the end. But I don't want MP to be the last few days of the trip.
1. Don't know, but at either price your quote the hotel is worth it. If you have the points and the hotel has availability for the cash plus points option, you might consider that instead.
2. Took the regular train from Oly to AC and then Vistadome back from AC to TdI. If I'm understanding your question correctly, it's definitely NOT worth backtracking from TdI to Cuzco just to take the Vistadome. Overall, it's slightly nicer than the regular train, but not to the point where you should adjust your schedule that way. You'll have nice views from either train.

Not sure that I understand your comment that I've bolded. If you leave Cuzco to the end, the last few days won't be at MP. They are two separate destinations, about a five or six hour (????) train ride apart. You're much better taking the train from TdI to AC.

Also, if you have any issue with altitude sickness, you're definitely smart to put off Cuzco (the highest place you'll stay in that part of the country) to the end. You'll have a better chance of adjusting to the altitude by that point. Not sure what your overall schedule is, but I'd recommend at least a few days at TdI and/or elsewhere in the Sacred Valley to help you acclimatize to the high altitudes. Then your time at MP will actually be lower than at TDI. Then end at Cuzco.

I agree with BigEd that more time in AC/MP is definitely worth it if it at all fits your schedule and budget. We actually did just one night, but took a very early train from Oly so that we had almost a whole day at Oly, than a mid/late afternoon train back to TdI. Our schedule was facilitated by spending a night at the very expensive Sanctuary Lodge (though we got a somewhat better bed and breakfast rate by periodically checking for it and then finally finding it online), which is right outside the MP gates so made coming and going easier. Regardless, MP is worth taking your time in if you can spare it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:42 pm

Thanks Thunderroad,

1. Yes I had a bad experience with altitude sickness at about 3000m several years ago so I've scheduled ~ 5 days in the Sacred Valley to drink lots of Coca Tea before moving to Cuzco for a few days.

2. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough; I'm actually a minor train buff so getting aboard the train is a destination in itself. If I wanted to have a longer train journey, of course I would board in Cuzco. However, because of the risk of alt sickness, I can't do Cuzco first, and would have to backtrack from TdI to Cuzco to board the train.

So I'm trying to figure out if the scenery between Cuzco and Ollanta is worth the bother, otherwise I might as well save myself some money and an early morning drive and just board the train at Oly to AC.

3. Thanks for the advice on the TdI rates. I've actually locked in 2 rooms on C&P but am still considering paying for one; have to build up my points again since I don't have any other source of points

4. Btw any ideas about getting a Peruvian data SIM easily outside the CUZ airport or in Urubamba?

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
1. Don't know, but at either price your quote the hotel is worth it. If you have the points and the hotel has availability for the cash plus points option, you might consider that instead.
2. Took the regular train from Oly to AC and then Vistadome back from AC to TdI. If I'm understanding your question correctly, it's definitely NOT worth backtracking from TdI to Cuzco just to take the Vistadome. Overall, it's slightly nicer than the regular train, but not to the point where you should adjust your schedule that way. You'll have nice views from either train.

Not sure that I understand your comment that I've bolded. If you leave Cuzco to the end, the last few days won't be at MP. They are two separate destinations, about a five or six hour (????) train ride apart. You're much better taking the train from TdI to AC.

Also, if you have any issue with altitude sickness, you're definitely smart to put off Cuzco (the highest place you'll stay in that part of the country) to the end. You'll have a better chance of adjusting to the altitude by that point. Not sure what your overall schedule is, but I'd recommend at least a few days at TdI and/or elsewhere in the Sacred Valley to help you acclimatize to the high altitudes. Then your time at MP will actually be lower than at TDI. Then end at Cuzco.

I agree with BigEd that more time in AC/MP is definitely worth it if it at all fits your schedule and budget. We actually did just one night, but took a very early train from Oly so that we had almost a whole day at Oly, than a mid/late afternoon train back to TdI. Our schedule was facilitated by spending a night at the very expensive Sanctuary Lodge (though we got a somewhat better bed and breakfast rate by periodically checking for it and then finally finding it online), which is right outside the MP gates so made coming and going easier. Regardless, MP is worth taking your time in if you can spare it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:48 pm

Hi BigEd,

How did having a guide (David Ramos) help? Since you had a MP guidebook anyway... Was he really useful in the Sacred Valley or was he more of a private driver?

Also, with regards to the 3rd person rule, I presume you are referring to C&P rates? Not standard paid rates right?

Originally Posted by BigEdInVancouver
I see a lot of people recommending DUP tours. I tried hard to give them my business but they always took their time answering emails and phone calls/skypes. Maybe they are good in person but, when they don't respond, I get nervous.

Went with a guide David Ramos, who is also written up here and in TA. He did a good job of adapting to what our group needed.

We stayed 3 nights at TdI: was fine, did not like the resto, and did not like the overpricing that they tried on tours and for 3rd person in the room. Try Quenela resto outside in the town, about 10 min walk.

We stayed overnight in AC and had 2 days at MP. I debated beforehand if I day would be enough and am extremely happy my wife insisted that we take our time. It was expensive to do it this way but you have time to see everything at MP. We did the "extras" of Sun Gate and Inka Bridge one day and the sunrise and HP the next. We self-guided with a MP guidebook and that allowed us to never feel rushed (unlike tour guide experience).

You are spending a lot of money to get to MP and you will most likely never return, so don't shortchange yourself on the time you spend there.

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Apr 18, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks Thunderroad,

1. Yes I had a bad experience with altitude sickness at about 3000m several years ago so I've scheduled ~ 5 days in the Sacred Valley to drink lots of Coca Tea before moving to Cuzco for a few days.

2. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough; I'm actually a minor train buff so getting aboard the train is a destination in itself. If I wanted to have a longer train journey, of course I would board in Cuzco. However, because of the risk of alt sickness, I can't do Cuzco first, and would have to backtrack from TdI to Cuzco to board the train.

So I'm trying to figure out if the scenery between Cuzco and Ollanta is worth the bother, otherwise I might as well save myself some money and an early morning drive and just board the train at Oly to AC.

3. Thanks for the advice on the TdI rates. I've actually locked in 2 rooms on C&P but am still considering paying for one; have to build up my points again since I don't have any other source of points

4. Btw any ideas about getting a Peruvian data SIM easily outside the CUZ airport or in Urubamba?
You're welcome, travels!

Perhaps I still don't understand your plan. Is it five days SV (including 3 TdI), then backtrack for some time in Cuzco, and then finally MP? If so, I don't think the backtracking is worth it. I'd suggest the SV, then AC/MP, then finally Cuzco. You can get from the SV to AC/MP on either the train from TdI (or really, an easy five minute walk away) or from Oly (which I'd recommend as a second place to stay in the SV if not all your time is at TdI).

Anyway, you're going to see great scenery whether in a car or a train, including while you're bopping around the SV. (It's a lot easier to do that with a driver who knows his way, including on a few slightly hairy portions of the area, though not impossible on your own.) So I wouldn't think it worth it to go out of your way for extra train time. You'll have plenty of train time going from TdI or Oly to AC and then back from AC to Cuzco.

Sorry, I don't have a clue about getting a SIM card.

By the way, there's a prescription you can get to help prevent/alleviate altitude sickness. I forget the name.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:49 pm

My actual plan is 5-6 days all in TdI/SV: acclimatise in the first 2-3 days then on D4 go back to Cuzco for the train ride to MP, overnight in AC that day, go up to MP again on D5 and that night head back to TdI. Actual Cuzco part comes after all that.

Yes I guess it might not be worth the bother to go up to Cuzco just for those extra 2 hours of train. Maybe I will pick one of those days in Cuzco to just take a ride down to Olly and then back w/o visiting MP since I'd have already been there 2 days.

The pill is acetazolamide, and let me tell you, it's no fun. My fingers and lips were tingling for 3 days!

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
You're welcome, travels!

Perhaps I still don't understand your plan. Is it five days SV (including 3 TdI), then backtrack for some time in Cuzco, and then finally MP? If so, I don't think the backtracking is worth it. I'd suggest the SV, then AC/MP, then finally Cuzco. You can get from the SV to AC/MP on either the train from TdI (or really, an easy five minute walk away) or from Oly (which I'd recommend as a second place to stay in the SV if not all your time is at TdI).

Anyway, you're going to see great scenery whether in a car or a train, including while you're bopping around the SV. (It's a lot easier to do that with a driver who knows his way, including on a few slightly hairy portions of the area, though not impossible on your own.) So I wouldn't think it worth it to go out of your way for extra train time. You'll have plenty of train time going from TdI or Oly to AC and then back from AC to Cuzco.

Sorry, I don't have a clue about getting a SIM card.

By the way, there's a prescription you can get to help prevent/alleviate altitude sickness. I forget the name.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:03 am

For the people that have taken the train from TDI and back to TDI that same day did you find that you had enough time in MP? I'm thinking we might be better off taking a taxi to olly that morning to get in earlier and train back to olly to come back later. Is it easy to get a super early taxi to olly to get an earlier train?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:38 am

We took the train from TDI and the 6:00PM or so train back to Ollantaytambo. I didn't have tickets to Machu Picchu, so by the time we got to Aguas Calientes, I found an ATM, got the tickets, got bus tickets, and got up there, it was well after 10. I hurried to the Montana Machu Picchu and still got there just after 11. When I got back down, we had lunch then spent about an hour and a half with a guide. We left just before MP closed and had a few minutes in Aguas Calientes before we had to get the train. It was no problem getting a taxi back from Ollantaytambo in the evening. Know the rate, though, since the opening offer from the cabbie will be crazy high.

Anyway, as others have suggested, this is going to be one of the highlights of your trip. I think you'll want some extra time and you won't want to be watching the clock the whole time you are there.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Being a "train buff", I think you should definitely consider doing one leg on the Hiram Bingham - it may be a budget stretch for some (including me) but probably a once in a lifetime experience. Perhaps on the return leg, so that you get the longer train ride (from AC to Poroy, outside Cuzco). That way, you can start your stay in the Sacred Valley, go to AC/MP, and from there to Cuzco. If not spending a night in AC, there will be left luggage storage at AC train station, I believe.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
It was no problem getting a taxi back from Ollantaytambo in the evening. Know the rate, though, since the opening offer from the cabbie will be crazy

What is an appropriate rate from the Ollay station back to Urubama?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
Being a "train buff", I think you should definitely consider doing one leg on the Hiram Bingham - it may be a budget stretch for some (including me) but probably a once in a lifetime experience.
Believe me, I have thought about it again and again. But with a party of 5, the cost is prohibitive (2000USD). I just can't justify it
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by green09000
What is an appropriate rate from the Ollay station back to Urubama?
I'm sorry, I don't recall exactly what we paid. My wife thinks we may have paid 35 soles. I do remember thinking it was less than half of what we were first offered.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:12 pm

Alameda guy: We were thinking of going the same route you guys did. Taking the morning train from TDI and then late train back. If I get the tickets in advance do you think that would help with the time? Sounds like you guys had just the right amount of time there. Or do you suggest we get there earlier and travel from Ollay both ways?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by green09000
Alameda guy: We were thinking of going the same route you guys did. Taking the morning train from TDI and then late train back. If I get the tickets in advance do you think that would help with the time? Sounds like you guys had just the right amount of time there. Or do you suggest we get there earlier and travel from Ollay both ways?
If you can get our tickets ahead of time, I recommend doing so. Though it was no problem to get them, since we were there at a slow time of year, it would have been easier to have them in hand. As far as the train, though I'm sure there are many combinations that work, I was perfectly happy with what we did.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
If you can get our tickets ahead of time, I recommend doing so. Though it was no problem to get them, since we were there at a slow time of year, it would have been easier to have them in hand. As far as the train, though I'm sure there are many combinations that work, I was perfectly happy with what we did.

Great. I think we will follow that route. I really appreciate your opinions. Helped greatly!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.