Wiki Posts
Search

Do Not Disturb, means, Do Not Disturb!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 9:47 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Back to the point... I think the Do Not Distrub sign is valid until normal check-out time. The maids should have the right to knock on the door at most once. If no one answers, they can enter. If there is any hints of hints someone is still haven't checked out, they maids should leave the room.
If the person in the room has not asked for (and been given) a late check-out, I agree. But if you have a late check-out, then there is no reason for them to think that the person in the room has left yet.

This is why most here have been mentioning this is a "management" and a "process" issue. If the process were set up correctly, then the maids should know that I told the hotel I would still be in the room. The maids would then act appropriately and wait until after the late check-out time. At that point, they can then assume I have checked-out and knock on the door.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:53 am
Suspended

I had a similar situation. Had the Do Not Distrub sign on and expecting a late check out. Then hit the showers. While washing, some maids came in the door. Had they were young, similar age and attractive, I would have done a full-monty and say "I know you want some of this Vitamin ME!".

Too bad the maid were mid age women like my mom, I was embaressed and quickly said I was in the showers and haven't checked out yet. The maids quickly ran out of the room.
Speaking of hypotheticals, what if the people involved were gay?
Old May 18, 2010, 11:00 am

I know the point is you shouldn't have to worry about it, but why not just use the deadbolt? Sends the message pretty clearly to HSKP that someone is still in the room...
Old May 18, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by drizz1129
I know the point is you shouldn't have to worry about it, but why not just use the deadbolt? Sends the message pretty clearly to HSKP that someone is still in the room...
And if there is no dead lock???

M18A1 Claymore?!
Old May 18, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I was a Marriott employee a billion years ago (when I was in high school) and while that was decades ago (ahem), the reasons that Housekeeping keeps knocking when the DND sign is on the door are still the same.

Please understand that a great percentage of folks who put the DND sign on their door COMPLETELY FORGET ABOUT IT THE NEXT MORNING in their haste to leave the room. A common scenario is someone who has a very early flight might need to be in bed at 7:30pm ... they put the DND sign out after dinner and call it an early night. After a 2:55am shower, they grab their coat, bags and blast out of the hotel at 3:17am to catch the airport shuttle for the 5:40am flight.

Now, what do you think the odds are that guest removed the DND sign from the door? I'd hazard about 7% chance that it was removed. The other 93% of the time, the room is vacant and housekeeping must guess which rooms are really occupied and which ones aren't.

Should there be better processes in place? Sure, there's room from improvement, but everyone needs to understand the other side of the equation here. If a housekeeper is assigned to 17 rooms a day (this is fairly standard) and all of her rooms are on one floor (this is also standard) and she has 6 rooms with the DND sign on the door and needs to punch out by 3pm, then at some point, she's gonna start knocking. Remember, she knows from experience that 80% of the rooms with DND on the door knob have vacated.

A perfect solution? I don't know of a perfect solution as long as guests consistently leave DND signs on the door that don't apply.

I'm just wanting to point out the very legitimate OTHER SIDE of this story.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbtinme
A perfect solution? I don't know of a perfect solution as long as guests consistently leave DND signs on the door that don't apply.
As mentioned, the solution really isn't too hard or complicated. Don't try to enter until after check-out time if there is a DND sign on the door. If the person has asked for and been given a late check-out time, then don't try to enter until after that time.

I would guess that if the hotel were in a situation where the maid had cleaned all possible rooms except for those with DND signs, they could call the front desk and check to see if any of those had check-out yet or not. Again, not too complicated or hard to do.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Housekeeping should be notified when guest check out. Unfortunately, many guests don't bother to check out, which exacerbates the problem. Maybe that should be a requirement.

Last edited by mahasamatman; May 18, 2010 at 12:55 pm Reason: typo
Old May 18, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by hhoope01
.....they could call the front desk and check to see if any of those had check-out yet or not. Again, not too complicated or hard to do.

It certainly is complicated when 85% or more of guests don't bother to stop off at the front desk these days. I don't think I've checked out of a hotel at the front desk (unless there was a billing issue) since about 1993.

This is not a cut and dried issue. I understand it can be very frustrating for the guest, but there is a level of frustration for hotel staff, too. I'm just pointing out that many who posted here aren't seeing that side of the story.
Old May 18, 2010, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
And if there is no dead lock???
No dead lock? Can someone please post the Marriott location whose rooms have no dead lock?
Old May 18, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
No dead lock? Can someone please post the Marriott location whose rooms have no dead lock?
How about we start with the Starwood hotels first eh?
Old May 18, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I had a similar situation. Had the Do Not Distrub sign on and expecting a late check out. Then hit the showers. While washing, some maids came in the door. Had they were young, similar age and attractive, I would have done a full-monty and say "I know you want some of this Vitamin ME!".
What if they were cougars?

Seriously though, just just throwing the bar or chaining the door will keep the staff out if you don't want them in there.
Old May 18, 2010, 3:19 pm

I'd like to agree with the poster upthread who mentioned leaving a sticky note on the door if the DND issue is crucial. I almost never use a DND sign since I'm usually in at 9pm and out by 7am, but in the few instances where I have absolutely needed it for late sleep ins or being really sick with the flu overseas, etc., I've done two things:

1. call the front desk and make it very clear that I need DND to be honored
and
2. place a small stickynote on the door at eye level explaining that I do NOT want to be disturbed until after xx:xx time.

I've never had an issue with that approach.
Old May 18, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by RAPC
How about we start with the Starwood hotels first eh?
DOH! Forgot which forum I was in.
Old May 18, 2010, 5:22 pm

My thoughts:

1. I believe the DND sign should be honoured - that's the whole point of it;

2. If the DND isn't honoured - especially twice in a couple hours - then yes, I do believe there is a serious training issue at that property;

3. I personally lock the door so nobody comes in regardless of the sign on the outside;

4. I doubt the lack of response has anything to do with the tone of the email - I bet it has to do with the failure of so many hotel properties - especially GMs - to acknowledge emails from guests. This is BY FAR my biggest beef with *wood properties...

5. If someone did ignore my DND, and if I forgot to lock my door, and if I was naked, then I would do my 'monkey dance' - the one Mrs. Flews hates so much - and scare the crap out of them!

Cheers,
Old May 18, 2010, 5:58 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Locking the door doesn't always keep them out. I had the door locked and the latch closed at the Sheraton Cerritos once and the housekeeper (after having already knocked multiple times to be told that I was checking out late) manually unlocked the door to try to gain entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.