Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Chicago Northwest (Itasca)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:57 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Westin Chicago Northwest (Itasca)

Another stay at this property this past weekend visiting the parents with Mrs. Sleepdoc. This property is approximately 30 years old in a sleepy part of the Northwest suburbs of Chicago in Itasca, IL. It is however, conveniently located off the Elgin-O'hare Expressway, I 355, and I 290. This makes going to Schaumburg and Woodfield Mall very convenient if you need to stay in the Northwest burbs or as in my case stay close to my folks and getting a good nights sleep! The hotel seems to be a very big draw for conventions on the weekends as on two occasions the hotel was alive with large groups, making the wait for the elevators unbearable at times.

With that said so far on 2/2 occasions I've been upgraded to a corner King suite. Its a huge suite with 15 foot ceilings, an obligatory doorbell, wet bar area, dining area for 6, large living room area, walk thru bathroom, and a huge bedroom. Decor seemed to be of the new Westin variety indicating that this property has probably been recently renovated.

No Executive lounge here and other than a couple bottles of water no offer of a free breakfast or drink at the bar, not that this is a Platinum benefit. The hotel does have a Starbucks-esque coffee stand along with Shula's steakhouse which we did not try. There is also a sushi/Japanese restaurant in the same office complex as the hotel making it a short walk.

There is a Westin Workout center on the 30th floor of the hotel and guests are also granted access to the Chicago NW Fitness facility in the basement where the pool and hottub.

Overall a nice sleep suburban hotel. Platinum recognition excellent as far as upgrades. Will attach some pictures next time in our next visit to the burbs.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:58 pm
Suspended

I just went to book a room at this property and under Rate Information on spg.com, the following was listed:

"Facility Fee USD 10.00 Per Room / Per Night"

Any idea what this is? Is it a "resort" or "service" fee? I wonder what it includes? Perhaps I will call tomorrow...but wondering if there are any thoughts on Flyertalk.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I just went to book a room at this property and under Rate Information on spg.com, the following was listed:

"Facility Fee USD 10.00 Per Room / Per Night"

Any idea what this is? Is it a "resort" or "service" fee? I wonder what it includes? Perhaps I will call tomorrow...but wondering if there are any thoughts on Flyertalk.
I stayed there one night last month when I misconnected on the last flight out of ORD. Got in late (great upgrade to a corner suite), light dinner in the bar, out early the next morning. Asked about the "facility fee" when I checked out and was told it was to cover use of gym, water in room, etc. - sounds like a resort fee for a non-resort hotel. I pointed out that I had not used any of those things and they removed it without a problem.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
I stayed there one night last month when I misconnected on the last flight out of ORD. Got in late (great upgrade to a corner suite), light dinner in the bar, out early the next morning. Asked about the "facility fee" when I checked out and was told it was to cover use of gym, water in room, etc. - sounds like a resort fee for a non-resort hotel. I pointed out that I had not used any of those things and they removed it without a problem.
Really? Interesting that they would remove a fee charged to everyone for every night upon request.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:34 am
Suspended

use of gym, water in room, etc.
use of the gym - Platinum perk - check
water in room - Platinum perk - check

Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
They removed the charge with very little comment. I had booked the room at the last minute through the Platinum Concierge, and she had not said anything about the fee. She was very helpful, however, in finding a room a reasonable distance (not close, though) to ORD on a night when the volcano had stranded a lot of people at ORD and hotels were busy.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

A facility fee for a non-resort suburban hotel. What a joke.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:06 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Have yet to have a facility fee at this location and stayed here 6 times in the past few months. Until this past weekend have always been upgraded to one of their huge King Suites.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Asked about the "facility fee" when I checked out and was told it was to cover use of gym, water in room, etc. - sounds like a resort fee for a non-resort hotel.
I wonder if this falls under the SPG edict to offer alternative amenities?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SleepDoc
Have yet to have a facility fee at this location....
take a look online with a sample booking or next time you do book, you'll see it
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: AC Elite (finally), SPG Platinum, HHonors Silver
I stay at this hotel about 6-8 times a year for work and they are very consistent with upgrades. Like the OP stated, the suites are very large. Staff is absolutely wonderful at this hotel, I have never seen more friendly people at the front desk. They seem to retain bar and restaurant staff very well also, I have been staying there for over ten years (previously a Wyndham)and the people remain the same. Last time I stayed there I did not get an upgrade but they offered many apologies and some extra bonus points in lieu of (to be clear, I did not ask for this). Never had this happen anywhere else.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
When I worked in Itasca, we used this hotel as our business-travel location. I always liked this place, and I even stayed there for 2 weeks while apartment hunting in the city when I first moved up there. Probably one of the best hotels in this part of Chicagoland not located near ORD... :-: ...or at least it was when I was there!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:35 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Probably one of the best hotels in this part of Chicagoland not located near ORD... :-: ...or at least it was when I was there!
ha ha, I've always thought this area was pretty close to ORD, and per your comment it really will be if & when a west entrance ever gets built or ORD keeps expanding.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
ha ha, I've always thought this area was pretty close to ORD, and per your comment it really will be if & when a west entrance ever gets built or ORD keeps expanding.
I ain't a-holdin' my breath on that one. And with Hizzonor leaving office at the end of this term, there won't be the arm-bending and kneecap-busting crew in there necessary to get something like that done!
Old May 23, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just stayed here as a Platinum and was upgraded to a very spacious suite. Front desk was friendly and agreed to remove the $10 facility fee as a "one time courtesy." I still don't understand how they can get away with charging Plats for something that is stated as being free as a benefit of the program, but until SPG does something about it, I'll just have to ask again next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.