Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What are your aspirational properties? (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your aspirational properties? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:42 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As others have said, I'd definitely swap the St Regis Rome (a relatively mediocre property) with the St Regis Florence.

I know you're American and so might not be interested in New York, but most people would probably see the St Regis New York as one of the top hotels in the group.

I'd also probably add the W Verbier (maybe not your scene as a W) and the refurbed Prince de Galles in Paris.

Two wild cards for you that aren't that expensive, but still are interesting: the St Regis Mexico and the Convento do Espinheiro,
Swapped the SR Rome for Florence; you had many supporters in that choice! (What is it about the SR Rome that you didn't like? We have considered it for a future trip...)

The SR New York might make the list. Until I see the PdG myself next month, I'll withhold judgment; I wouldn't think it would be as aspirational as others on the list partly because most wouldn't even put it as one of the top 10-15 properties in Paris. (But time will tell!)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
What about Schloß Fuschl?

Excelsior Gallia when open
Added!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Swapped the SR Rome for Florence; you had many supporters in that choice! (What is it about the SR Rome that you didn't like? We have considered it for a future trip...)
There was nothing massively wrong with the St Regis Rome per se, but it just felt to me like a pretty lazy implant of the American St Regis style (lots of marble, chandeliers, pretentious art - I'm not really a fan) into a beautiful old building. There was nothing actually wrong with the service either, but it didn't feel particularly personal or informed. As I think others noted on the hotel thread some of the concierge recommendations were either misinformed or very poorly chosen.

The check-in staff made quite a big deal of the fact that we had the nicest Junior suite in the hotel, but it felt really small and cramped. I'd actually have suggested they ditch the effort at two rooms given the size available. On a second stay I got one of the Bottega Veneta rooms which we actually preferred despite it being one of the lowest two categories (and therefore not eligible for the butler service).

It's been designed to be a grand and expensive hotel, it just lacked charm.

The St Regis Florence on the other hand felt intimate, was beautifully redecorated and had a really switched on staff. It definitely counts as one of the top hotels in the city (I prefer it to the grander Four Seasons, but I suspect most on the Lux forum would disagree).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Having just spent 5 nights at the St. Regis Princeville, I must repsectfully disagree. I know that many herein on FT aren't partial to this property, but I think it has the most spectacular location and view of any property in the entire state of Hawaii and has service and amenities to match (and I've been to the FS Hualalai, Halekulani, Hana Maui, and Grand Hyatt Kauai on several occasions). Its exterior edifice is t so beautiful, but otherwise I think it merits a place on the list. Certainly, on my list!
Fair enough and I can't really disagree with you. The hotel just didn't have that WOW factor for us like several of the other properties mentioned, but considering all the aspects of the hotel (location, view, etc.) I can see it being an aspirational property. The wife and I got engaged here at a beachside dinner so I have very fond memories of the hotel. I just felt like it was the view and location that made the stay exceptional and not the hotel itself. Service was good, but the property felt a little dated to me. We had a dark green bathroom and several areas of the hotel felt dated as well.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:07 am

We've already decided that we'd stay at the Gritti over the Aman in Venice. For a city, I'm not as open to splurging on Aman since the serenity that I so love for Aman isn't comparable in an urban setting for me (as I experienced at Aman Summer Palace). And there are too many other top options comparable to the Aman in Venice, of which the Gritti is closest for me. The fact that as an SPG Plat 75 I'd likely be well upgraded and earn tons of points on a paid stay or be able to stay for free on an award makes this a no brainer for me. Maybe not the same choice for others, I understand...
Did also stay at the Gritti for pretty much exactly the same reasons. This was before the Aman opened, but wouldn't have made a difference. Had a great stay including a nice suite upgrade, not with the full frontal canal view, but fair enough. Dinner on the terrace over the canal was great - obviously there are better restaurants in terms of food quality even at much lower price, but overall ambience hard to beat.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Yes, the San Clemente Palace did reopen as a St. Regis this summer...but it didn't get the 25 million euro facelift/refurb yet. That is coming (as per my original posted link that you obviously didn't read):

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...egis_Treatment
Oh I did read it...

Do you really think you can do a 25 million € facelift in less than 5 months? In italy? So roundabout 5 million € per month or roundabout 170000 € per day?
Do you really think they opened this hotel as a St. Regis if it does not match the St. Regis level?

Really???

It is a seasonal closure. This year from October 26th until April 2nd next year. May be the reason for the closure is the danger of " Acqua Alta " every year.

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Sep 23, 2014 at 4:10 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
No one's mentioned Castillo Son Vida? Really?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:07 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
No one's mentioned Castillo Son Vida? Really?
Tell us about it. I just googled and see it is on Mallorca. What did you like? Is it worth a trip to Mallorca just to stay there? I've never been to Mallorca and know little about the destination and nothing about the hotel.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Interesting list. Of the very limited number I've stayed at, I'd definitely endorse the Tambo del Inka in Peru. And I'd drop the Palacio del Inka. It's certainly a nice enough hotel, but not one of Starwood's top properties IMHO.
Dropped the Palacio in lieu of some others noted herein (Schloss Fuschl and Hotel Alfonso XIII). It opened not long after we were in Peru, so I'm taking your word for it!
Well, taking my word for it can be a big mistake!

But seriously, while I do want to again emphasize that we liked the Palacio (including its location) and would have no problem recommending it, its rooms and windows are on the small side and its ground floor is almost cave-like due to the limited light everywhere but the reception and interior courtyard area. Now, much of this is due to the admirably historic nature of the building, dating back centuries. But it just does not measure up to its sister property, Tambo, or to many other great hotels we've stayed at.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:39 am

I went through every hotel listed and - no surprise - I haven't been to any of them...except....

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, Avon!!!

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Okay, I didn't actually go there, other than to walk around. I was staying at the nearby Sheraton, which, aside from being in the same zip code wasn't at all the same.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Tell us about it. I just googled and see it is on Mallorca. What did you like? Is it worth a trip to Mallorca just to stay there? I've never been to Mallorca and know little about the destination and nothing about the hotel.
It's a palacial hotel with pieces of art all around the hotel, not far from Palma (the capital). Its terrace is highly regarded and has the best views. It also caters to golfers.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
If possible, I wish the OP would replace their original post with the new list. The thread doesn't really make sense as currently merged.

Back on topic, the Castillo Hotel Son Vida is a great hotel, but IMO it's more of a top 50-100 SPG property. I paired my stay there with the St. Regis and I thought the St. Regis was much more of an aspirational property (as it should be with rates regular 3 times as much). The location was a little removed from everything and while the golf courses were fine, I didn't think they compared to top golf destinations. With high prices, the location, and just OK golf I wouldn't go there just for this hotel. Paired with a stay on some other part of the island though, I thought it was great.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:14 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spgplat21
If possible, I wish the OP would replace their original post with the new list. The thread doesn't really make sense as currently merged.
I'm the OP and I agree. Well, at least I agree that my opening post makes no sense in the context that this thread is now focused on. I've maintained a European list for some years. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...roperties.html

Someone should start a wiki of top properties worldwide.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I'm the OP and I agree. Well, at least I agree that my opening post makes no sense in the context that this thread is now focused on. I've maintained a European list for some years. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...roperties.html

Is there a way to un-merge these? The fact that the titles were similar discounts the fact that the threads were discussing very different things (not to mention that the current thread started in 2010 and the thread I started in 2014 means there are very different properties to consider).
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

Is there a way to un-merge these? The fact that the titles were similar discounts the fact that the threads were discussing very different things (not to mention that the current thread started in 2010 and the thread I started in 2014 means there are very different properties to consider).
+1 to both of these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.