Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood VIP: is there a status above platinum? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood VIP: is there a status above platinum? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: Amex Plat; IHG Spire Elite; AZ Freccia Alata, SPG Gold; ClubCarlson Gold; Accor Plat; BA Bronze.
Originally Posted by OAM
I'm not quite sure what the benefits of having this card is, since I've never used it. The only thing I know is that you get 3 points for every dollar spent, since it says so right on the front of the card. Is that the same as normal SPG cards?
I've been informed, by people at front desks, that "The red carpet gets rolled out", and "upgrades to the best room available, including top suites". I.e. if the super-special-royal-presidential-luxury suite is there, you get it, even if you booked the broom-closet. Which isn't true for Plats - we just get (are guaranteed) up to a Junior suite, if available. Of course, many people are lucky enough to get better suites, but unlike you, it's "not in our contract".
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
Man - those Starhot rates are hot! The Westin Diplomat was $89 on the dates I checked vs. about $400 regular rate.

I wonder if I can get a part time job at a Starwood hotel...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:39 am
OAM

Originally Posted by yossimills
I've been informed, by people at front desks, that "The red carpet gets rolled out", and "upgrades to the best room available, including top suites". I.e. if the super-special-royal-presidential-luxury suite is there, you get it, even if you booked the broom-closet. Which isn't true for Plats - we just get (are guaranteed) up to a Junior suite, if available. Of course, many people are lucky enough to get better suites, but unlike you, it's "not in our contract".
That's what I have heard, but I've never booked a room under it since the regular Starhot rates are always cheaper. I rather pay less for the room. Although on this last trip I took this past weekend, I booked under the Starhot rate for a luxury collection hotel, normal rate and VIP SPG rate was 399, I paid 89, however it must have been the worst room in the place (I hope for their sake). It looked nothing like any of the rooms online and definitely was not even worth the 89 I paid. I'm not sure how they could charge a rate of 399 for the room I was given. I was a little disappointed with the service as well, especially since I was there on an employee rate. Usually when I travel on that rate the front desk people are extra nice and try to hook you up as best they can. For example I was in Costa Rica on a Hilton employee rate and the front desk rolled out the red carpet for me. They said they were slow and upgraded me to the best suite in the resort. It was like a $650 dollar a night 3 room suite and I was only paying like 40 bucks a night. I couldn't even get a late checkout at the Luxury Collection place.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if i had a VIP card, id probably contact the sales manger or GM at a hotel like hotel president wilson, and ask what they offer.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Starwood StarHot

I think you should qualify for this if you spend 50+ nights in *wood hotels for 10 years straight
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by MarshKing
I worked at a Starwood hotel in 2001, and we had both a regular StarHOT rate and an SPG VIP (aka owner) rate. When both were available, the StarHOT rate was definitely cheaper. However, when the StarHOT was not available, the SPG VIP rate was still quite a bit lower than the regular rates.

For example:
StarHOT: $49
SPG VIP: $125
Regular: $299
WOW there is really a VIP rate plan out there...
We all know the BAR1-10 rate plans (and others) but does anybody know the rate plan for the so called VIP rate? Must be something with SPG...

How can you book those rates? Assuming I am a head of the state and want such a rate, what do I have to do then...

MC
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:03 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by MCruler
WOW there is really a VIP rate plan out there...
We all know the BAR1-10 rate plans (and others) but does anybody know the rate plan for the so called VIP rate? Must be something with SPG...

How can you book those rates? Assuming I am a head of the state and want such a rate, what do I have to do then...

MC
There is no universal VIP rate that I am aware of at Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide. I think MarshKing is referring to the Owners' Rate. If not, then the VIP rate was something offered at the resort where he worked. It is not a universally-distributed rate among all Starwood hotels. Of that, I am absolutely sure.

Want the Owners' Rate? Then own a hotel or resort that flies a Starwood branded flag. Each one of these gets two VIP memberships.

And, while we are cleaning this up a bit, the OP does not qualify for the Starhot rate, so his GM is not operating within the company's expectations in that regard. The company has an Owners' Rate for a reason.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so owners book the Owners Rate, and get the SPG VIP benefits?

and Starhot is for employees, but not combinable with SPG?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
There is no universal VIP rate that I am aware of at Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide. I think MarshKing is referring to the Owners' Rate. If not, then the VIP rate was something offered at the resort where he worked. It is not a universally-distributed rate among all Starwood hotels. Of that, I am absolutely sure.

Want the Owners' Rate? Then own a hotel or resort that flies a Starwood branded flag. Each one of these gets two VIP memberships.

And, while we are cleaning this up a bit, the OP does not qualify for the Starhot rate, so his GM is not operating within the company's expectations in that regard. The company has an Owners' Rate for a reason.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
So you mean, when you have access to STARLINK and/or Starwood Vacation Ownership (Network) then you get those rates. Is this correct?

MC
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you mean, when you have access to STARLINK and/or Starwood Vacation Ownership (Network) then you get those rates. Is this correct?

MC
youre talking about seeing the rates, not booking them?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so owners book the Owners Rate, and get the SPG VIP benefits?
Yes.

and Starhot is for employees, but not combinable with SPG?
The Starhot rate is not an eligible rate plan for anything other than a terrific rate and some possible 50% off dining benefits, where applicable.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
youre talking about seeing the rates, not booking them?
Yep, I only want 2 see those rates; so you have access to those rates via STARLINK?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:24 am

MC
No, I mean if you work for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, then you and your qualified relatives get access to the Starhot rate. If you own one of the hotels that are branded as part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, you get the Owners' Rate.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No, I mean if you work for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, then you and your qualified relatives get access to the Starhot rate. If you own one of the hotels that are branded as part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, you get the Owners' Rate.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
The "Owners' Rate" -- bookable by or for immediate family members too -- is very good too. For example, still around $75 or so for a Westin -- or was it one of the W hotels -- in NYC during peak time, right?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
The reason the VIP allotment is capped at 2 and not more is because some hotel properties have a group of owners that may be so numerous as to create a huge class of entitled persons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.