Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood VIP: is there a status above platinum? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood VIP: is there a status above platinum? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BonViveur
I don't know this to be true, but I doubt owners ever had VIP status, unless, perhaps, at their home property.

VIP, in most cases, is not related to SPG, but to the guest's particular value to the hotel. The hotel's management makes this decision, on a property by property basis. The exceptions I have heard are CEOs of large corporations or celebrities.
From my understanding VIP status clients have a personal rating whether from a specific property or in some corporate cases from White Plains. Looking for a VIP rate or benefit is not understanding the nature of the thing. The benefit for a VIP who owns a small Sheraton will not be the same as the CEO of a fortune 100 corporation.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Owners certainly do have VIP status.

VIP status is system wide, not limited to a few hotels. It is not done on a oroperty by property basis.

A VIP gets issued a VIP card that bears that status system-wide. Different properties choose to recognize those stays a little more seriously or a little more seriously than others. And certainly a given site will recognize their own VIPs a little more highly (with or without a system wide VIP card).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have two family members who have VIP status as s result of owning a SPG flagged property (as another posted noted, two cards are apparently issued per property). I have traveled with them over holidays for a couple of years now and can confirm that there is a bit of variability to how different properties treat them. But overall, they get access to special owners rates (not the employee rates which are much lower) and most of the time when they contact a senior person in the property they are visiting they get bumped to a suite. On occasion, a property will do other extra things, like discount F&B by 50%, give spa credit, etc.

My most interesting observation is that if they don't call ahead, they can sometimes be treated by front desk as an SPG zilch. Or they have to track someone down higher up the food chain to get something they were offered in an email from the property. In other words, most front desk people see VIP so infrequently that they dont know what it means, and I as a mere platinum get a better room pre-reserved ;-)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:00 pm

Cool SPG VIP Preffered Guest

SPG VIP Preffered Guest
Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Congratulations, nickta! How many SNAs do you get? 10 or more?
Old May 4, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
I do not and have not owned a hotel property. However, I have stayed at Starwood properties above and beyond the Ambassador level (100+ nights) and I have been marked as VIP within SPG system-wide. This was not a hotel specific classification. It may be an anomaly, but hotels consistently thanked me for my loyalty and VIP status. Just thought I would share with everyone...
Old May 4, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by NoVA guy
I do not and have not owned a hotel property. However, I have stayed at Starwood properties above and beyond the Ambassador level (100+ nights) and I have been marked as VIP within SPG system-wide. This was not a hotel specific classification. It may be an anomaly, but hotels consistently thanked me for my loyalty and VIP status. Just thought I would share with everyone...
This must be a new level over and above Plat100 and perhaps the status that used to be Ambassador level before it was published. Congrats!

If you don't mind, how many nights on average per year and what's your average spend per night?
Old May 16, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
This wknd while staying at the Sheraton Duluth in Duluth, MN... my friend and I were chatting with another guest in the lobby bar. He was in town for a surprise 60th birthday party.
We got to talking...and he said that his wife is at this "V" Status. (After seeing this thread previously, I assumed that it was this VIP status.)
So naturally I inquired more, and he really didn't know too much about the benefits other than:
  • Her SPG # started with a V
  • He stated there's approx only 20 "V" status members (he wasn't sure if that was Global or US)
  • Sounds as though the room upgrades are comparable to SPG Plat Ambassador status

But from my probing, it appears that she was a high-spend corporate customer with many hotel stays and large events at SPG properties.

I shared with him a few of my favorite SPG hotels for status upgrades and to join us on flyertalk.
Old May 22, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by travelista
This wknd while staying at the Sheraton Duluth in Duluth, MN... my friend and I were chatting with another guest in the lobby bar. He was in town for a surprise 60th birthday party.
We got to talking...and he said that his wife is at this "V" Status. (After seeing this thread previously, I assumed that it was this VIP status.)
So naturally I inquired more, and he really didn't know too much about the benefits other than:
  • Her SPG # started with a V
  • He stated there's approx only 20 "V" status members (he wasn't sure if that was Global or US)
  • Sounds as though the room upgrades are comparable to SPG Plat Ambassador status

But from my probing, it appears that she was a high-spend corporate customer with many hotel stays and large events at SPG properties.

I shared with him a few of my favorite SPG hotels for status upgrades and to join us on flyertalk.
Leaving aside the distinct possibility this guy was full of it, one point I would like to disagree with is that Plat Ambassador gives any better upgrades than regular Plat (or Plat 75). In my experience, it doesn't.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by d'Yquem
Leaving aside the distinct possibility this guy was full of it, one point I would like to disagree with is that Plat Ambassador gives any better upgrades than regular Plat (or Plat 75). In my experience, it doesn't.
Don't know if this guy is "full" of it, but certainly factually "challenged". He says 20 VIP? I know three personally, and that's just in one city in Canada. And a 4th right here on FT.

Cheers,
Old May 23, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by Flews
Don't know if this guy is "full" of it, but certainly factually "challenged". He says 20 VIP? I know three personally, and that's just in one city in Canada. And a 4th right here on FT.

Cheers,
Yeah, 20 is not the number of VIP level members. I have 2 in my family and know 2 others. There is no way you and know almost half of them ;-)

I have another year + of experience from family members on how they get treated. If they just show up, almost nothing, certainly no better treatment than Platinum. But if they call in advance and find someone fairly high up in the property, they often get owner rate, upgrade at booking, a 50% f&b discount, etc. So I think the SNAs arent even something they use anymore.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
VIPs

The number of VIPs is certainly in the thousands or more. Could easily be in the tens of thousands.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by 925
The number of VIPs is certainly in the thousands or more. Could easily be in the tens of thousands.
Yes, I know. I was simply using a personal example to illustrate the point.

Interestingly, it appears Starwood is now aggressively pairing down the number of VIP status holders. I suspect it relates to the new world order with Marriott, which makes sense.

Cheers,
Old May 27, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Yeah 20 seemed extremely light to me as well.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Looks like the VIP status is no more: https://www.ausbt.com.au/five-things...tm_source=hero

SPG currently has an invitation-only ‘VIP Preferred Guest’ tier, while Marriott Rewards has its own by-invitation Platinum Premier Elite tier – but in the new program, there’ll be no VIP rank: anybody can qualify for any tier with the right number of nights: it just happens that the name of the highest public tier in the new program uses the same name as the current VIP tier.

Members who earn 75 nights under the new scheme will receive a Platinum Premier Elite, and those who reach 100 nights will get Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador service for a more personalised travel experience, mixing the best of Marriott Rewards and SPG.

Existing VIPs from both Marriott and SPG will be transitioned to the new program’s Platinum Premier Elite (75-night) tier, except for those with 100 nights or more to their name this year, who will naturally get a Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.