Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points San Jose, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Nearby Construction Until December 31, 2017

Until December 31, 2017, there will be construction and noise disruptions due to work on the adjacent apartment building. Work will take place between 7am and 6pm daily. Please contact the hotel for further information.

Mosaic Restaurant & Lounge Details

On Thursday evenings though Sunday evenings, the hotel hosts special events and live music in the Mosaic Restaurant & Lounge. Occasionally, some of the excitement will be audible through the hallways or guestrooms; however, there will be minimal impact to guests. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

Four Points San Jose, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:33 am
Company Representative - Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Based on all the positive reviews here I'm going to try this property. I hope I find one I like in the area. The Sheraton "San Jose" isn't really doing it for me.

-David
Glad to hear you'll be joining us! Drop me a line before you arrive and I'll do my best to make sure you're well taken care of.

See you soon,

- Randy Zimmerman, General Manager
408-282-8810
[email protected]
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
To reaffirm some of the things mentioned in other posts....

Positives:
The rooms are very nicely furnished relative to other four points....and better than many Sheratons too.

Breakfast in the restaurant is surprisingly reasonable. Portions are large, too.

Randy, the GM, is very responsive by email, too. The staff is responsive.

For checkout, I like the option to leave a voicemail message saying that you're checking out. While probably on average about the same time as calling down to the front desk, I'm sure it keeps the lines shorter downstairs when I actually need a human.

Downsides:
Internet was slow from time to time; although lots of properties in the area seem to suffer from that.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by slimothy
To reaffirm some of the things mentioned in other posts....

Positives:
The rooms are very nicely furnished relative to other four points....and better than many Sheratons too.

Breakfast in the restaurant is surprisingly reasonable. Portions are large, too.

Randy, the GM, is very responsive by email, too. The staff is responsive.

For checkout, I like the option to leave a voicemail message saying that you're checking out. While probably on average about the same time as calling down to the front desk, I'm sure it keeps the lines shorter downstairs when I actually need a human.

Downsides:
Internet was slow from time to time; although lots of properties in the area seem to suffer from that.
Hi, thanks for the input and feedback. Glad you had a nice time!

We are upgrading our internet speed and distribution very soon, hopefully to be complete by the end of November. Our circuits (and bandwidth) are being increased (this week actually) by 500%; the distribution network (access points and their related network) will take longer as we are completely replacing the existing infrastructure. Our WAP count will increase from 4 currently to 50.

Our aim is to get ahead of this curve (at least for now) and give our guests an absolutely blazing fast, strong wifi experience, for as many devices as you'd care to connect....with no charge to our guests.

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This is my first time checking out this thread, and it looks like I'll be enjoying my stay this coming Friday. From the looks of it, I think I made the right decision to stay here, enjoy my platinum perks, and walk to an event at the Fairmont. And when I check out, I'll only be 122 nights from lifetime plat!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:44 am

WiFi upgrade!

Pleased to let you know that we're mid-way through our WiFi upgrade, and expect it to be complete by the end of this week.

Based on results seen at a sister property where this system was installed, this will be a huge improvement.

On a similar note, our "free to guest" TV system will be upgraded as well, hopefully in November.

Thanks for your patience and continued patronage of our hotel!

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
I have mixed feelings about this hotel. On the one hand, the rooms are nicely appointed, the free Bally's access is great and the breakfast is cheap.
On the other, with the exception of 1 or 2 FD staff, I'm underwhelmed by the service. Stayed here 7 times, been told each time that they either "don't have any suites avail" even though the website shows they do, "only upgrade one room category for platinums" or "only upgrade to junior suites." I don't mind j suites, but the only difference between a J suite and a regular room here is maybe 50 sq ft and a loveseat.

Aside from that, I got a rather rude call from the front desk at around 11am on a Sunday that I was being too loud when I yelled at the maid to stay out when she walked in. She knocked, I said hello several times with increasing volume, finally shouting when she opened the door anyway because, you know, I was half dressed.

Also, as of last weekend...perhaps the worst internet speeds I've ever experienced in a hotel, but looks like that's changing.

Side note...the FP Silicon Valley, despite being in the middle of NOWHERE, was actually renovated really nicely and is my choice unless I need to be in SJ downtown. It's a lot cheaper and not too bad if you have a car.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by dparkinson
I have mixed feelings about this hotel. On the one hand, the rooms are nicely appointed, the free Bally's access is great and the breakfast is cheap.
On the other, with the exception of 1 or 2 FD staff, I'm underwhelmed by the service. Stayed here 7 times, been told each time that they either "don't have any suites avail" even though the website shows they do, "only upgrade one room category for platinums" or "only upgrade to junior suites." I don't mind j suites, but the only difference between a J suite and a regular room here is maybe 50 sq ft and a loveseat.

Aside from that, I got a rather rude call from the front desk at around 11am on a Sunday that I was being too loud when I yelled at the maid to stay out when she walked in. She knocked, I said hello several times with increasing volume, finally shouting when she opened the door anyway because, you know, I was half dressed.

Also, as of last weekend...perhaps the worst internet speeds I've ever experienced in a hotel, but looks like that's changing.

Side note...the FP Silicon Valley, despite being in the middle of NOWHERE, was actually renovated really nicely and is my choice unless I need to be in SJ downtown. It's a lot cheaper and not too bad if you have a car.
Hi:

Thanks for your feedback! While I'm glad that you've enjoyed our facilities, I'm disappointed that we've not met your expectations fully.

I'd like to respond to a few issues you've raised:

- Our "specialty suites", (i.e. the 1BR units) are by definition not part of the SPG Platinum upgrade program, unless the hotel is fully booked and the upgrades are required as a result of an overbooking of a (lower) room type. I share your thoughts re the Jr Suites. In addition to being basically the same size, I personally find them to be quieter (not street/traffic facing) and they enjoy stronger wifi (for now).

- One or two junior and/or specialty suites will be kept available for sale during the day, at the market price, until we're convinced they won't be sold. Usually, this won't occur until very late in the day, similar to an airline's practice of releasing any available FC seats just prior to boarding....(this is why you'll see them online available even though we're not able to offer them as an elite upgrade).

- The upgrades are generally based on rate, however, there is a Starwood protocol which we follow; it takes into account room rate, property and brand loyalty factors, etc. Of note, aprox. 85% of our business is SPG, and approx. half of that are Platinum Elites....so there is quite a lengthy upgrade list with a fairly limited inventory of (unsold/available) suite with which to work.

- As to the housekeeping issue, I'm not sure as to the exact circumstances of the phone call, although I would gather that a neighboring room possibly overheard the exchange and notified the FD....that said, I'm sorry if the staff was less than hospitable in their outreach to you (not to mention our insistence at entering your room in the first place...), and do regret any inconvenience or embarrassment as a result.

Should your travel plans return you to the downtown San Jose area, don't hesitate to reach out to me either here or via a private message or email, and I'll see to it that your visit is comfortable.

Thanks again,

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager, Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
Originally Posted by 4pbssjdt
- One or two junior and/or specialty suites will be kept available for sale during the day, at the market price, until we're convinced they won't be sold. Usually, this won't occur until very late in the day, similar to an airline's practice of releasing any available FC seats just prior to boarding....(this is why you'll see them online available even though we're not able to offer them as an elite upgrade).
Isn't holding the junior suites until "very later in the day" a clear violation of the SPG T&C's if you have SPG Platinum members checking in and the room is clean and vacant? Holding the room until 11:45PM doesn't really seem fair.

Below are the SPG terms as they pertain to elite members and I don't see anywhere where it describes the practice which your hotel adheres to.

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties."

And just as an aside I've been burned by this practice MANY times when checking into your hotel-the only reason I'm responding to this thread. I generally don't even find the junior suites to be a meaningful upgrade-but as you acknowledged they sometimes tend to be the quieter rooms available and that's what I care about.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by PDXbased1K
Isn't holding the junior suites until "very later in the day" a clear violation of the SPG T&C's if you have SPG Platinum members checking in and the room is clean and vacant? Holding the room until 11:45PM doesn't really seem fair.

Below are the SPG terms as they pertain to elite members and I don't see anywhere where it describes the practice which your hotel adheres to.

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties."

And just as an aside I've been burned by this practice MANY times when checking into your hotel-the only reason I'm responding to this thread. I generally don't even find the junior suites to be a meaningful upgrade-but as you acknowledged they sometimes tend to be the quieter rooms available and that's what I care about.
I think the key word here is "available". I believe that the intent of the policy is to offer upgrades for otherwise unsold inventory, not to displace revenue if there's a viable opportunity to sell the suites at a premium rate. Further, I never specified a time (i.e. 11:45pm) in which the decision to release the inventory happens; that varies based on the day in question.

I don't see a directive in the policy that requires an unsold room to be available for upgrade at any particular time during the day, if there's a chance that the room can be sold for the market price....in our case, we are fortunate enough to sell out 6 days per week, and often the suites are the last to sell - hence, we will sell them at the posted rate. Further, (most notably on weekends), there is a very high demand for suites, usually reserved the same day of arrival.

That said, we do allocate - and pre assign to Platinums - most remaining junior suites for upgrade early in the day (occupancy and demand permitting), so I think we're keeping with the intent of the policy. Obviously we wish to remain complaint with Starwood requirements, but also strive to maximize profitability by providing access to our suites to those that desire to pay the premium rate.

Further, to put a more pro-active and positive spin on this, we have taken some additional steps to accommodate our (extremely high) number of elite guests, including making every room in the hotel a dedicated SPG room (as opposed to just a zone or series of dedicated floors), and designating select oversized rooms for our Platinum and Gold members. The unusual (100 year old) architecture has created a series of rather small (although pleasant) interior rooms which we tend to avoid using for elites. In addition to the Starwood required welcome amenity program, every Platinum guest at this hotel receives an (off brand!) Platinum welcome drink/breakfast item card.

Thanks,

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager, Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown

Last edited by 4pbssjdt; Oct 30, 2013 at 11:47 am
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Giving this hotel another try next week. Really do want to like it again.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:45 pm

Just finished my third stay here this year. Way nicer than any Four Points I've ever stayed at as well as most Sheratons I can think of. Definitely has a "boutique" feel that Mrs. Aces and I like. Room, lobby, etc. in very good shape. Good recognition of SPG Plat status and good interactions with the FD staff. Finally got a chance to meet Randy (the GM). Very nice guy and very helpful. The parking situation was seamless for me (got a chit from the lot attendant and handed it to the FD on check-in), and the internet speed seemed fine with the upgrades that they've done. This is now our "go to" hotel in San Jose and we'll be back. Keep up the good work Randy!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
Just finished my third stay here this year. Way nicer than any Four Points I've ever stayed at as well as most Sheratons I can think of. Definitely has a "boutique" feel that Mrs. Aces and I like. Room, lobby, etc. in very good shape. Good recognition of SPG Plat status and good interactions with the FD staff. Finally got a chance to meet Randy (the GM). Very nice guy and very helpful. The parking situation was seamless for me (got a chit from the lot attendant and handed it to the FD on check-in), and the internet speed seemed fine with the upgrades that they've done. This is now our "go to" hotel in San Jose and we'll be back. Keep up the good work Randy!
Hi:

Thanks for the "shout out"! It was a pleasure meeting you and Mrs. Aces, and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon.

- Randy Zimmerman, General Manager

PS: Wifi has indeed been upgraded. We have just installed a 100mbps circuit and a new network to handle it- a speedtest.net reading (on a mobile device) in our lobby the other day reflected amazing speed - 75mbps ++ both up and down. That surely has helped improve our guest experience.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:20 pm

Free use of business center PC

Hi: It's been a while, hope you all are doing well.

Just a minor bit of good news - our business center PC is now free to guests (for the first 15 minutes of use). That should give enough time to get online, check some emails, forward docs, etc. (Previously one had to pay for access, always).

Airline websites/boarding passes remain free at all times.

Hope to see you soon, drop by and say Hi if you're able.

- Randy Zimmerman, GM
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
I wanted to post a much overdue update since there hasn't been anything new added in over a year.

I stayed here for 4 nights back in February for a conference and was very pleased with the experience. Noting that GM Randy is active in the forms, I reached out to him a few days before since my wife and then 8 month old son were going to tag along with me and he was very responsive to proactively making sure we were taken care of well.

I agree with the overall opinion that this has a boutique hotel feel and I would generally consider it better than your standard domestic FS Sheraton. I did not take advantage of the bar/restaurant at all but it definitely looked better than your standard hotel offering in this category.

The only (very minor) issue I had was getting my Green Choice points to stay, but that was very quickly solved via email after the stay.

Overall I definitely would stay here again, and probably even make it my first choice in the downtown area, even with the new Westin (finally) open down the street, in most circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, hopefully (for us anyway, maybe not the hotel...) that will take some of the Platinum traffic giving us a better opportunity for upgrades, and give what I think is a better value vs. the Westin.

Looking forward to my next stay there... next week
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by hrdjeepzj
I wanted to post a much overdue update since there hasn't been anything new added in over a year.

I stayed here for 4 nights back in February for a conference and was very pleased with the experience. Noting that GM Randy is active in the forms, I reached out to him a few days before since my wife and then 8 month old son were going to tag along with me and he was very responsive to proactively making sure we were taken care of well.

I agree with the overall opinion that this has a boutique hotel feel and I would generally consider it better than your standard domestic FS Sheraton. I did not take advantage of the bar/restaurant at all but it definitely looked better than your standard hotel offering in this category.

The only (very minor) issue I had was getting my Green Choice points to stay, but that was very quickly solved via email after the stay.

Overall I definitely would stay here again, and probably even make it my first choice in the downtown area, even with the new Westin (finally) open down the street, in most circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, hopefully (for us anyway, maybe not the hotel...) that will take some of the Platinum traffic giving us a better opportunity for upgrades, and give what I think is a better value vs. the Westin.

Looking forward to my next stay there... next week
Hi:

Thanks for the great feedback. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

Please email me your confirmation number for your next visit, I'll make sure you're comfortable.

Thanks again,

Randy Zimmerman, GM
[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.