Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points San Jose, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Nearby Construction Until December 31, 2017

Until December 31, 2017, there will be construction and noise disruptions due to work on the adjacent apartment building. Work will take place between 7am and 6pm daily. Please contact the hotel for further information.

Mosaic Restaurant & Lounge Details

On Thursday evenings though Sunday evenings, the hotel hosts special events and live music in the Mosaic Restaurant & Lounge. Occasionally, some of the excitement will be audible through the hallways or guestrooms; however, there will be minimal impact to guests. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

Four Points San Jose, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:38 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Wow! Ten minute response time. Impressive! ^^^
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by 4pbssjdt
Not to worry William, I can answer this:

Yes, 365, that is our fitness room....it's a bit on the small side due to the age of the building (100 years!). However, to make up for it, we offer free passes to Bally Total Fitness, which is less than a block away. It's a really nice facility (one of Bally's best), and they treat our guests well....

Drop me a line if I can be of any further assistance!

Randy Zimmerman, GM
[email protected]
Thank you. Not many hotels provide such prompt and helpful (not to mention "satisfying") responses. Favorable impression created here!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Thank you. Not many hotels provide such prompt and helpful (not to mention "satisfying") responses. Favorable impression created here!
That Bally's is really nice. 2 story gym with tons of equipment, never looks too crowded, lots of restaurants nearby.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Stay Report

I stayed at the Four Points San Jose last week. I'm an SPG Platinum and booked a AAA rate that included breakfast. I travel to San Jose at least once a month and normally stay at the Hilton Garden Inn (Milpitas) or the Sheraton (San Jose). I've stayed here before when I've wanted to be downtown (i.e. for a dinner out) and also for the San Jose Half Marathon.

When I pulled up, the parking attendant asked for my name to check me off the list of hotel guests. Even though I had a reservation, I wasn't on the list but I was told to park anyways. What's the point of a list if I'm allowed to park anyways? Once I checked in, my name was added to the parking list and I was asked to sign the parking log obviously to acknowledge that parking is $20/day. Personally, I think it is a little tacky to ask a guest to sign a parking log book at the front desk.

As a Platinum, I did get an upgrade (to the Honeymoon Suite). This was my first upgrade in a half dozen stays. I have a feeling I got the upgrade since I was on a more expense room rate that included breakfast and therefore trumped the other guests. I also received drink vouchers and a VIP pass for the bar. The bar doubles as a lounge after hours and the VIP pass gets you in for free. However, I don't think they actually do charge non-hotel guests to enter the bar/lounge. The drink voucher was good for a free well drink. They had a DJ setup around 10 but it was somewhat quiet when I left just when he was getting started. You can also use the drink voucher for a pastry in the morning.

Platium amenity included the typical 250 points, free movie or $5 in mini-bar credit.

All of the rooms are "unique". Some are setup a little strange, I know one room setup has the tv in a spot where you can't view it from the bed. The suite was a two room setup with flat screens in both rooms and the bathroom had typical Four Points bath products. The hotel is only four stories and no real views from any direction. In general, the quality is fairly nice, not run down in the least, with just minor inconveniences (i.e. slow draining shower and sink stopper handle didn't work). Generally the hotel is nice and quiet and no real street noise to worry about.

Breakfast is served off a menu (no buffet). Service was quick and attentive. Breakfast for two ran about $50 after tip and had to be adjusted off by the front desk at check out. With this hotel I've made it a point to verify the final bill at checkout. I've had random charges appear and I once was charged full rack when I was upgraded from a regular room to a slightly larger room. I believe the front desk staff is still getting up to speed with things.

The gym "room" is definitely minimal. A few cardio machines, free weights and an exercise ball. Definitely take them up on the offer for the free passes to Bally's across the street.

Overall, I'd stay here again and it is definitely one of the nicer Four Points or even Sheraton. If the rate (after including parking) is cheaper than the HGI or Sheraton and I'm looking to hang out downtown, I'll be back. The rooms are much nicer than the HGI but the parking stigma sets me off. Throw in a reasonable overnight parking rate without all the paperwork and signoffs and I'll be staying here all the time.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:08 pm
Company Representative - Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown

Programs: SPG
Hi, and thanks for the review! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

To the issue of parking, we don't own the lot and thus assess a (competitive) fee to offset the labor and space rent. Unfortunately, we've needed to implement a system of written acknowledgement (initials, actually) to verify understanding of the charge and alleviate any confusion at check out.

If you refer to post #22 on this thread, I've posted some options that we recommend to help with the cost of parking. There are numerous public facilities (some dramatically less expensive) nearby; the tradeoff being convenience, in & out priveledges, room billing, etc. If you (or anyone else for that matter) would like a copy of that parking info, pls. email me.

Thanks again for the feedback, great to hear you had a nice visit.

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager
[email protected]
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Thumbs down

Booked an Deluxe AAA Rate for Saturday 6/18. Overall, the stay will last in my memory for a very long time because it was an overly substandard stay. The front desk clerk who check us in was very cold, even after I gave her a warm smile and greetings. I inquired whether I was upgraded to a junior suite, but was informed that I have been assigned a very nice deluxe room on the 4th floor. I asked if I can be upgraded to the junior suite, she told me that the upgrade was based on the number of suites available and the number of platinum guest checking in (no duh). I proceeded to ask her to see if there were any room with two beds and was told there were none. So, I asked whether a rollaway was available and was told none was available. Finally I asked whether a "specialty suite" was available and was told the upgrade is not available for platinum guest and the upcharge would be $60 per night. I asked if the charge can be lowered for platinum guest, but was told "NO".

I reached for my iphone and access the spg app and proceeded to check inventory for a junior suite, and told the clerk that I'm going to book it. The onduty supervisor was standing next to her the entire time, give her the ok to upgrade me to the junior suite.

Basically, I was decline an upgrade because I booked a AAA rate which was $10 cheaper than the prepaid rate. Had I booked a prepaid rate, I would of been given an upgrade.

Oh, the junior suite assigned (Room 303) is basically a normal accessible deluxe room (wheel chair) with a sofa bed. The sofa was so old (luckily it did not reek of urine) and cushions were torn, the sofa pillows were so dirty it was pretty disguisting to sit in!!!

Last edited by sink; Jun 23, 2011 at 4:01 pm
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:11 pm

Thank you for your feedback.

Per our discussion today, our upgrades are based on Elite status, availability, and rate. We do not rule out any rate plans for inclusion to the upgrade program; however, as noted, the AAA rate is on the low end and thus merits a lower position on the upgrade list. Also, please note that on the day in question, there were more Platinums arriving than available upgrades, so only the higher rates were automatically upgraded.

Further, similar to "gate upgrades" on various airlines, we do keep several suites for sale throughout the day in question; it is quite common to take last minute suite bookings (at the going rate), esp. on weekend nights. This inventory is ultimately released for upgrades, albeit late in the evening, once it's clear that we could not sell the rooms.

That said, I'm glad that we were ultimately able to reach a solution in this regard; I'm sorry that the condition of the sofa in that room was not acceptable, we'll get that remedied immediately. I've also addressed the staff responsiveness issues internally....

If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Regards,

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager
Four Points by Sheraton, San Jose Downtown

Last edited by 4pbssjdt; Jun 23, 2011 at 6:35 pm
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Had a good stay here recently. Was upgraded to a Junior Suite, offered a free drink at the bar which I never used (I forgot about it).

Parking was 20 (21.85 including tax) USD for one night.

My rate was pretty low using Starpicks, had I known that the Parking was 20 I would've stayed at the Sheraton a couple of miles further. I would've paid more for the night but parking is comped (making the Sheraton stay cheaper than the 4P) plus you get free breakfast and 500 Pts as a welcome amenity instead of 250 at the 4P.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, HGP, FPC
Hi all,

I have a 4 night trip to San Jose in November. It sounds like a number of FTers have experience with most of the downtown hotels, so here is my question. I am deciding between a specialty suite at the Four Points (175/night using ZB4) vs a presidential suite at the Fairmont (150/night with a conference rate + upgrade).

The suite at the Fairmont is 900sf (which is very nice with the kids), and I'm guessing the specialty suite at the Four Points is around 500sf. The choice seemed pretty clear, but after reading this thread, I was impressed with the care and responsiveness of the Four Points management here in this thread and wanted to give them a chance.

Anyone able to weigh in with an opinion one way or another?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by jschen
Hi all,

I have a 4 night trip to San Jose in November. It sounds like a number of FTers have experience with most of the downtown hotels, so here is my question. I am deciding between a specialty suite at the Four Points (175/night using ZB4) vs a presidential suite at the Fairmont (150/night with a conference rate + upgrade).

The suite at the Fairmont is 900sf (which is very nice with the kids), and I'm guessing the specialty suite at the Four Points is around 500sf. The choice seemed pretty clear, but after reading this thread, I was impressed with the care and responsiveness of the Four Points management here in this thread and wanted to give them a chance.

Anyone able to weigh in with an opinion one way or another?
Thanks for considering our property! I'll try to give you an objective comparison:

The Fairmont is a great hotel; very large, (10x our size literally), with numerous F&B outlets, a pool, lots of retail, etc. It's fairly new, and has great views from the higher floors. They are largely a convention hotel.

Our property is completely different; small (only 86 rooms), historic, upscale boutique style property. It's 100 years old, and has the distinction of a long history plus a massive multi million dollar renovation/restoration. The building was actually moved out of the way to make space for the Fairmont's annex in 2001. Although we're technically very old, the property is really newer than the Fairmont, as it was completely gutted, rebuilt and moved down the street. We are considered a historic location; the lobby reflects that, yet the rooms are quite modern and tastefully done.

We don't a pool; rather we do have a lovely outdoor courtyard with fountains, seating, restaurant, and bocce courts. Our restaurant is large and popular (Mosaic), esp. for happy hour.

Overall, the feel of this hotel is small, clubbish, boutique, trendy, hip, etc., much more like a "W" than a typical Four Points.

The Fairmont is more "old school grandiose", large, more traditional in style.

I don't think the suites are comparable, just based on the square footage (900 vs 500), but the SPG affiliation def. helps.

Hope that helps. If you want to see a video of the hotel moving and it's restoration, go to Youtube and search "hotel montgomery moves" (we were known as HM until the Four Points affiliation two years back).

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager

(PS, I'll brag that our staff is awesome too, but that's a highly subjective opinion!!!)
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Have stayed there once. Great hotel and great staff. Was upgraded to a Specialty Suite. I wouldn't think twice about staying there. That would be my first option in downtown San Jose. Walking distance from local attractions.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, HGP, FPC
Thanks for considering our property! I'll try to give you an objective comparison:

The Fairmont is a great hotel; very large, (10x our size literally), with numerous F&B outlets, a pool, lots of retail, etc. It's fairly new, and has great views from the higher floors. They are largely a convention hotel.

Our property is completely different; small (only 86 rooms), historic, upscale boutique style property. It's 100 years old, and has the distinction of a long history plus a massive multi million dollar renovation/restoration. The building was actually moved out of the way to make space for the Fairmont's annex in 2001. Although we're technically very old, the property is really newer than the Fairmont, as it was completely gutted, rebuilt and moved down the street. We are considered a historic location; the lobby reflects that, yet the rooms are quite modern and tastefully done.

We don't a pool; rather we do have a lovely outdoor courtyard with fountains, seating, restaurant, and bocce courts. Our restaurant is large and popular (Mosaic), esp. for happy hour.

Overall, the feel of this hotel is small, clubbish, boutique, trendy, hip, etc., much more like a "W" than a typical Four Points.

The Fairmont is more "old school grandiose", large, more traditional in style.

I don't think the suites are comparable, just based on the square footage (900 vs 500), but the SPG affiliation def. helps.

Hope that helps. If you want to see a video of the hotel moving and it's restoration, go to Youtube and search "hotel montgomery moves" (we were known as HM until the Four Points affiliation two years back).

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager

(PS, I'll brag that our staff is awesome too, but that's a highly subjective opinion!!!)
Thanks for the considerate response. This is why I have high hopes for this property!

For this trip, I think the pool and larger space will meet the family's needs better. I'll come by and check out the happy hour though and scope out the place. I think it will be a good fit for a future stay based on your description! Definitely a little different from most Four Points properties

The youtube video is really interesting and worth checking out.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:41 pm

Check out our Youtube page!

Hi and greetings from sunny San Jose!

We've set up a Youtube page with the video of our hotel being moved down the street in 2001 (and a nice little advertisement for our fabulous restaurant, Mosaic!).

Our hotel was saved from the wrecking ball back then, and the hotel got even better when we became a Four Points in 2010! So much history, and so much history yet to be made...

Check it out at:

www.youtube.com/fourpointssanjosedt

Cheers,

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager
Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: Starwood
I believe you guys even have some sort of record for the move.

Hi and greetings from sunny San Jose!

We've set up a Youtube page with the video of our hotel being moved down the street in 2001 (and a nice little advertisement for our fabulous restaurant, Mosaic!).

Our hotel was saved from the wrecking ball back then, and the hotel got even better when we became a Four Points in 2010! So much history, and so much history yet to be made...

Check it out at:

www.youtube.com/fourpointssanjosedt

Cheers,

Randy Zimmerman
General Manager
Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Old May 14, 2012, 4:59 pm

New high speed internet circuit

Hi:

Just a quick note to advise that (as of last week) we've completed the installation of our new 10mbps internet circuit.

This is quite an improvement over the previous. Thanks to all for your patience, and especially to those who have suffered through our verrrryyyy slow and overwhelmed (previous) HSIA.

- Randy Zimmerman, GM

Last edited by 4pbssjdt; May 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.