Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Any page on spg.com list point expiration date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat

I'd like to know when my points are about to expire, so that I can tell if the eat-at-starwood credit resets the clock. Is there a page on spg.com that explicitly spells out one's expiration date? Like the date listed on UAL or DL websites.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by former1k
I'd like to know when my points are about to expire, so that I can tell if the eat-at-starwood credit resets the clock. Is there a page on spg.com that explicitly spells out one's expiration date? Like the date listed on UAL or DL websites.
Just go to recent activity in your account and add one year to the last activity date... Actually, that may be a little off. I thought it showed activity date as well, but it only shows the date of posting and that will inevitably be later than the activity... FWIW, if you have an SPG Amex, points earned from charges count towards activity as well.

Last edited by ttrltb; Feb 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm Reason: clarity
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You should read this thread FAQ: When will my starpoints expire? 2007 onwards discussion in The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread Links which is sticky'd at the top of this page. It holds a wealth of information
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I did read the faq. It is informative and does tell how to calculate the expiration. But that is not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a conclusive determination of expiration, so that I can tell if it has been extended. Like at united or delta websites.

There have been threads from the last couple of years about how eating at a spg restaurant that can bill to a room can reset the clock, even though the spg T&C do not mention this. I'm at the edge of expiring 120k points. I would just like something solid to verify that the expiration date has been extended.

Is there a spg page that computes and displays the expiration?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a page on spg.com that explicitly spells out one's expiration date? Like the date listed on UAL or DL websites.
No.

You have to calculate it yourself.
You could also call in and speak to an associate.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:23 pm

Hey former1k,

I just typed "Starpoints expire" into the Instant Answers link under SPG Support and the text does mention the dining option:

Ask Us a Question
Q: Starpoint Expiration?

Starpoints do not expire for active Starwood Preferred Guest members. In order to keep your Starwood Preferred Guest account active, you will need to have earned Starpoints as a result of either one qualifying stay or one dining event within a rolling 12-month period. After this time the account becomes inactive. If from this date the account still does not reflect any activity within a six month period, the account will expire and the Starpoints forfeited.

Our full terms and conditions of Starwood Preferred Guest program can be found here.

Still, I'm not sure if the 365 days is from the date of the last activity or the posting of that activity. As soitgoes suggested, you may wish to call SPG (or give a shout to a Lurker) to confirm that last detail... Either way, I suspect SPG would be accommodating if you were close to either.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttrltb
or one dining event within a rolling 12-month period
Hey, thanks for finding that. Spg has never put the dining thing in writing before.

Should probably put that in the FAQ now. The dining thing is finally official. Apparently, it has worked since about 2006 based on threads here. I'd feel even better if they updated the spg terms and conditions, but I'll take what I can get for now. Can't publish a link to what ttrltb found, because it is session based.

I guess I know what I'll be having for lunch tomorrow

Last edited by former1k; Feb 24, 2010 at 8:38 pm
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
With regard to dining at a Starwood Property that I am not staying at and getting SPG points for that, I can report that here in Asia Pacific I have been rejected by every hotel. Is it perhaps something that only works in the US ?

I dined at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok, Le Meridien Chiang Mai, W Hong Kong and Le Meridien Cyberport on numberous occasions when I wasnt staying at these properties and every single time the waiter/waitress told me that they can't enter my SPG number on the bill and unless I am in-house and charging to my room, i cannot earn Starpoints.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
With regard to dining at a Starwood Property that I am not staying at and getting SPG points for that, I can report that here in Asia Pacific I have been rejected by every hotel. Is it perhaps something that only works in the US ?

I dined at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok, Le Meridien Chiang Mai, W Hong Kong and Le Meridien Cyberport on numberous occasions when I wasnt staying at these properties and every single time the waiter/waitress told me that they can't enter my SPG number on the bill and unless I am in-house and charging to my room, i cannot earn Starpoints.
You were incorrectly denied the ability to do this assuming that, if you had been a guest at the hotel, you would have been able to charge the meal to your room.
If you have the receipts, you can fax or e-mail them to SPG for credit.
In the future, if you have trouble with the hotel, just get a receipt and fax it/e-mail it.
After the hotels get charged for SPG's effort in this regard, they may retrain their servers.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...hout-stay.html
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:45 pm

Here's another way:

I see you have an SPG Amex linked to your account. Please know as long as you actively spend using your Amex card this also keeps your account active and your Starpoints will not expire as long as you use your Amex.

me: I haven't used it recently. Will a transfer from Membership Rewards® Program count as an activity
Tacoya S.: Yes, it will count as account activity.
Tacoya S.: Is there anything else I can help you with?

me: what date should I do that, to avoid expiration?
Tacoya S.: You should complete the transfer prior to 29 February 2012 (my last spg amex activity was 1/10/11)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vickh
Here's another way:

I see you have an SPG Amex linked to your account. Please know as long as you actively spend using your Amex card this also keeps your account active and your Starpoints will not expire as long as you use your Amex.

me: I haven't used it recently. Will a transfer from Membership Rewards® Program count as an activity
Tacoya S.: Yes, it will count as account activity.
Tacoya S.: Is there anything else I can help you with?

me: what date should I do that, to avoid expiration?
Tacoya S.: You should complete the transfer prior to 29 February 2012 (my last spg amex activity was 1/10/11)
One of the Lurkers may have to have a chat with Tacoya, as I don't believe that an Amex MR transfer will prevent point forfeiture.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
One of the Lurkers may have to have a chat with Tacoya, as I don't believe that an Amex MR transfer will prevent point forfeiture.
I was just about to transfer 333 pts... Thanks for the quick warning, as usual FT saves the day!

So is a stay or dining, my only option to prevent my 2/29 impending doom! I cancelled my amex account last year on 1/10/11....
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just about to transfer 333 pts... Thanks for the quick warning, as usual FT saves the day!

So is a stay or dining, my only option to prevent my 2/29 impending doom!
You could use your SPG Amex.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
You could use your SPG Amex.
cancelled

any current dining promos@ spg?? Last year I did a 50% promo at the Phoenician that reset my wife's account. Current inexpensive options in PHX area??

Also to be clear : nothing but a stay, dining or spg amex resets expiration??
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also to be clear : nothing but a stay, dining or spg amex resets expiration??
That's my understanding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.