Canadian SPG American Express

Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan E, SPG Plat, Delta SM, AA
I have had 3 different Amex in the last 15 years and always ended up cancelling them after being tired of being rejected. Never cancelled any of my Visas or MCs for this reason as they were accepted absolutely everywhere (well except the sandwich place which does not run a register tape for a different reason ).

Bummed out as my 3 MBNA SPG cards were giving me $90K spending at 1:1 which was covering most of my annual cc spendings.

Given sign-up bonus, hopefully NIL or very low fee ($49 max, as previous cards were free) and my love of SPG program, I will probably give it another shot and see if places I shop take Amex enough to make it worth it. $120 a year would be very very steep to get rejected more often than not...and I would probably look elsewhere...
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I've had 3 SPG cards too, 2 mine, 1 wife's. I just got my 2nd when I come here and find out it's been discontinued. My problem is the first 2 cards are jan31 and feb28 yearly dates so getting 10k is not worth the effort. Still I am on track for 145k SPG points once I call to get the 3 stay bonues, 2 of which are over 60days since the stay!!!!!!

Funny I've had 2 Amex cards over the last 20yrs and canceled both for lack of acceptance.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:51 pm

Amex Big mistake for Canada

Although the points sound good on the new card, Like most of the feedback, it is hard to use amex in canada. Most merchants don't take it because of the high commissions they are charged to take the card. Could have been a better choice i think.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:41 am

I dont know if AMEX canada still let us change from card to card, last time i called i remember it has to be a new application. also, i remember we cant transfer credit limit from one card to another now.

this is pretty sad since i already have a amex CC and plat charge, cancelling the CC and get a new one might not get me high credit limit
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by flyertalkbudda
I dont know if AMEX canada still let us change from card to card, last time i called i remember it has to be a new application. also, i remember we cant transfer credit limit from one card to another now.

this is pretty sad since i already have a amex CC and plat charge, cancelling the CC and get a new one might not get me high credit limit
Yes, when you change AMEX you need to re-apply and qualify.

You can only change within the same product group like AirMiles Blue to Platinum or Aeroplan Gold to Platinum/Platinum to Regular.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:50 pm
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Is noone else embarassed to present a card that isn't accepted? I sometimes feel like I'm trying to pay with my library or Blockbuster card - and that's with a fancy platinum card!
The other day I presented my Amex Gold to a retailer and the guy recoiled his hands like he didn't want to come anywhere close to touching it. So I know what you mean.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Slowly, oh soooo slowly, AMEX is being accepted at more places. But I will add my voice to the chorus of "I'm disappointed it's AMEX".

The 1 point per $1 spent is an improvement to the program, but it remains a fact that Visa / MC are more widely accepted then AMEX is.

I'm winding down my MBNA spg card. By the end of this month I should have a $0 balance after which I'll stop using it. (I didn't want any lingering bills post 28 Feb on this card.) I'll be one of the first to sign up for the new card, but still, it's too bad it's an AMEX.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Well, I will once again jump on the bandwagon and share my incident this past weekend. I went to the UPS store which is an American entity and asked if they take American Express. The answer of the manager/operator: no, we don't take "those" here. BTW, I don't have an Amex, but I decided to do a random non scientific test and the result was not surprising. American Express is considered prestigious, but somehow they are sometime snubbed, yeah yeah... the fees, the fees!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:22 pm
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Well, I will once again jump on the bandwagon and share my incident this past weekend. I went to the UPS store which is an American entity and asked if they take American Express. The answer of the manager/operator: no, we don't take "those" here. BTW, I don't have an Amex, but I decided to do a random non scientific test and the result was not surprising. American Express is considered prestigious, but somehow they are sometime snubbed, yeah yeah... the fees, the fees!
That's funny. It was at a UPS Store that I had the Amex "rejection" I noted a few posts above.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:32 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by IMAbackpacker
It's finally announced, and it's an AMEX!
Seems to closely resemble the US SPG Amex in the benefits described thus far. It's a good day to be a Canadian.

The Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) programme is pleased to announce the new Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express.
[/url]
Great news. I didn't need another card, but this makes me reconsider.

Originally Posted by montrealboy
...as a business owner I have the capability to accept it but I discourage my customers from using it as the cost is almost double what it costs to accept Visa/MC.
When I get told they don't take the card, I remember and then take my business elsewhere next time....

On some occasions I haven't had another card on me and have walked away at the cash register....

...in addition most people who are FF (which are usually the same as SPG members) travel outside of north America where its not accepted at all.
Here in Thailand, AmEx isn't accepted except in the larger businesses. But most Visa and MC purchases in these same places will occur a 3% or more surcharge to use the card. It's not that much of a big deal.

If it's not taken everywhere, it's not taken everywhere. I don't see the issue. I'm just happy we have the choice again.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:47 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I'm surprised at the resistance to AmEx, as frankly I see them as a far better product than Visa or MC. I used to have problems, regularly, using my Visa overseas... and limit problems. Since switching to AmEx, and their no limit cards, I've had no problems, I haven't had to call international long distance for 30 minutes to answer a questionaire on why I need to buy 6 air conditioners, or plane tickets, or be denied because they suspect it's not genuinely me on the phone.

Amex was the resolve of all my purchase problems, not the cause of them, as it being told here. This is just my experience.

I understand that not all people like AmEx. But it's by far the best choice for some of us. Call me an AmEx lover, no problem... I've been called far worse things, for sure.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Dec 22, 2009 at 12:53 am
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:58 am

I was hoping for a MasterCard of Visa, but Amex isn't all that bad. I've had good service from them and the card is accepted for about 95% of my purchases by dollar value.

A few things I'd like to see with this card:

1. No fee for the first year and a reasonable annual fee thereafter, much like the US version ($45/year starting with the second year).

2. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but an additional 15 000 SPG points after spending $15 000 in the first six months of membership. That's the promotion currently going on with the US card and that's on top of the 10 000 points. I'll probably get the card when it's first offered, then wait for some sort of bonus before getting a second card under my wife's name.

3. Purchase protection, extended warranty, car hire CDW, trip delay / flight cancellation insurance, etc.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by tkyoshi
Yes, when you change AMEX you need to re-apply and qualify.

You can only change within the same product group like AirMiles Blue to Platinum or Aeroplan Gold to Platinum/Platinum to Regular.
Bummer !

That was one of the features that I really liked about MBNA. You could allocate your credit limit between their various products with a phone call.

I already have a couple of AMEX cards ( Air Miles variety ). Don't use them much as I already collect lots of Air Miles from Safeway and BMO. If I could take a portion of the credit limit from those cards and move it to the new SPG AMEX card then I would definitely do it. If I have to make a new application, well I shall wait and see the details of the new product before deciding.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I'm surprised at the resistance to AmEx, as frankly I see them as a far better product than Visa or MC. I used to have problems, regularly, using my Visa overseas... and limit problems. Since switching to AmEx, and their no limit cards, I've had no problems, I haven't had to call international long distance for 30 minutes to answer a questionaire on why I need to buy 6 air conditioners, or plane tickets, or be denied because they suspect it's not genuinely me on the phone.

Amex was the resolve of all my purchase problems, not the cause of them, as it being told here. This is just my experience.

I understand that not all people like AmEx. But it's by far the best choice for some of us. Call me an AmEx lover, no problem... I've been called far worse things, for sure.
+1

I would use my Amex whenever I can. The last time I used my visa was months ago and I don't remember when was the last time I used my MC.

My only beef about the Amex is the low purchase protection limit, a measly one thousand Canadian Dollars, which is hardly enough to cover anything I buy. My visa covers a lot more than $1000.

I think Visa and Mastercard are (kinda crooks). They are supposed to have a lower merchant rate. But they came up with infinite cards and their merchant rates are as high as that of Amex.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I don't get why the infinity cards are higher fees. I've yet to use any of the features. I book meals, trips, etc myself. Is there anything i'm missing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.