Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I've made over $2000 in spend on my new personal SPG in 4 days! No statement generated yet, but I'm hoping that I get the bonus points on my first one! How long does it typically take to show up on your SPG account?
1-2 days after your statement (you CAN ask AMEX your statement date)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
The 25,000 bonus point SPG offer posted smoothly for me with my first statement. I applied online for the card (new applicant, haven't had the SPG AMEX before), and received the card 7 days later. I met the $1,500 spending requirement 10 days after receiving the card. Now that my first month's statement has been generated, the 25,000 bonus points are on there, so they will show up in my SPG account in a few days, along with the rest of the points accumulated from my first statement. After meeting the spending requirement, there were 12 days until my first statement closed, so it was nice to see the bonus points processed and applied in that time frame.

My monthly statement started the day after applying and being approved for the card. Since I received the card exactly a week after applying for it, I was already 6 days into my first statement's earning period by the time I received the card, which left around 24 days of actual earning instead of a full month.

The increased SPG card bonus worked out perfectly for me, as I was thinking of getting this card anyway just for 1:3 transfer ratio to Marriott Rewards. As long as the 1:3 transfer ratio exists, I might as well get 3 Marriott points per dollar out of my AMEX spending instead of 1 or 2 points per dollar with the Chase Marriott Visa.

Last edited by jtpc; Aug 23, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by jtpc
The 25,000 bonus point SPG offer posted smoothly for me with my first statement. I applied online for the card, and received the card 7 days later. I met the $1,500 spending requirement 10 days after receiving the card. Now that my first month's statement has been generated, the 25,000 bonus points are on there, so they will show up in my SPG account in a few days, along with the rest of the points accumulated from my first statement. After meeting the spending requirement, there were 12 days until my first statement closed, so it was nice to see the bonus points processed and applied in that time frame.

My monthly statement started the day after applying and being approved for the card. Since I received the card exactly a week after applying for it, I was already 6 days into my first statement's earning period by the time I received the card, which left around 24 days of actual earning instead of a full month.

The increased SPG card bonus worked out perfectly for me, as I was thinking of getting this card anyway just for 1:3 transfer ratio to Marriott Rewards. As long as the 1:3 transfer ratio exists, I might as well get 3 Marriott points per dollar out of my AMEX spending instead of 1 or 2 points per dollar with the Chase Marriott Visa.
Were you an Amex Personal SPG virgin before this account?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by jtpc
The 25,000 bonus point SPG offer posted smoothly for me with my first statement. I applied online for the card (new applicant, haven't had the SPG AMEX before), and received the card 7 days later. I met the $1,500 spending requirement 10 days after receiving the card. Now that my first month's statement has been generated, the 25,000 bonus points are on there, so they will show up in my SPG account in a few days, along with the rest of the points accumulated from my first statement. After meeting the spending requirement, there were 12 days until my first statement closed, so it was nice to see the bonus points processed and applied in that time frame.

Good data points. I'm still waiting for my statement. I made the minimum spend 10 days ago (13 days after approval). My statement should be generating in a week, if it's in line with your timeframe. I sure hope my 25K is posted right away! I've held the card twice before (prior to the switch to 1 bonus per lifetime), so I'm not sure what to expect! Stay tuned!!!

Edit: my statement generated last night -- and the bonus points are there!!! I will be eagerly awaiting them to appear on my SPG account. Question though - my SPG# isn't listed on my statement anywhere - unless I missed it? Anyone had problems with Amex not recording their SPG# number properly from the app and a new SPG account is created, and then have to 'merge' SPG accounts? I recall this happening to me the 2nd time I held this card...
jubberly likes this.

Last edited by pokee; Aug 25, 2017 at 10:09 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Signs that they may be starting the process of winding down the Amex / SPG relationship:

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2017/08/end-near-spg-amex/
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by LPCJr
Signs that they may be starting the process of winding down the Amex / SPG relationship:

http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2017/08/end-near-spg-amex/
Unless Avery has inside info like Patrick @ Rewards Canada (whom warned us about minimum spending increases, on SPG $500->$1500; and Plat $1000->$3000)
Otherwise it's more about getting readers to sign up using his link instead

Nobody knows what will change after 9/27. I hope Patrick can give us some hints
CanRulez likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Unless Avery has inside info like Patrick @ Rewards Canada (whom warned us about minimum spending increases, on SPG $500->$1500; and Plat $1000->$3000)
Otherwise it's more about getting readers to sign up using his link instead

Nobody knows what will change after 9/27. I hope Patrick can give us some hints
Agreed. Classic blogger's fear mongering, luring the weak-hearted to panic towards his affiliated signup links. Credibility signals are low with this one.
CanRulez likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Agreed. Classic blogger's fear mongering, luring the weak-hearted to panic towards his affiliated signup links. Credibility signals are low with this one.
Yeah, and if you look at the comments, someone mentioned that they received an offer which expires Oct. 18/17. Highly unlikely that they would send out offers with this date if they're ending the program in Sept.

Having said that, I was planning to self-refer to SPG Biz in a couple of months...I may play it safe and do so before Sept 27th...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:17 pm

Good data points. I'm still waiting for my statement. I made the minimum spend 10 days ago (13 days after approval). My statement should be generating in a week, if it's in line with your timeframe. I sure hope my 25K is posted right away! I've held the card twice before (prior to the switch to 1 bonus per lifetime), so I'm not sure what to expect! Stay tuned!!!

Edit: my statement generated last night -- and the bonus points are there!!! I will be eagerly awaiting them to appear on my SPG account. Question though - my SPG# isn't listed on my statement anywhere - unless I missed it? Anyone had problems with Amex not recording their SPG# number properly from the app and a new SPG account is created, and then have to 'merge' SPG accounts? I recall this happening to me the 2nd time I held this card...
Excellent news! Thanks for sharing

I received my first statement( days after applying and min spend not met)I couldnt find my SPG membership # anywhere on the statement but the points for the purchases posted to my SPG account within 2 days.....
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:11 pm

Multiple time card holder , wife as well , she referred this time and got the 10000 , I was really not expecting it this time but they posted.
Attached Images  
jubberly likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:04 pm

It almost makes me wonder if the Amex's system is having difficulty tracking repeat SPG cardholders (so everyone gets a bonus unless manually audited or discovered during the application process), so they're lowering or removing the referral program to try to deter the repeat apps?

Whatever the case, it'll be a good idea to get the referral/self-referrals done soon. Wonder if they'll be auditing a good number of referral apps in the next month in light of all this chatter???
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: MR rewards
I got AMEX but here in Dubai it's not accepted every where.. I just use it to book tickets , hotels and big shopping malls ..
it's not SPG card but I can transfer to spg then to marriott
2 years of normal using got me 120000 Marriott points and 25000 skywards miles not bad ..
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:58 pm

I just did a self-referral from Amex SPG Personal to Amex SPG Biz. I've never had an Amex SPG Biz, but I currently also hold an Amex Gold Biz.

I got the message "We are unable to give you an instant decision at this time. Your application will be processed within 10 days".

Should I call them right away? Should I leave it? I'm afraid I'm going to get grilled on this call and they'll discover the self referral! I said "No" to the question "Do you already have an Amex card" as I wasn't sure this would mess up the self-referral or the app.

Any tips on if I should call now - and if so, what questions I should be prepared to answer?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:51 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I just did a self-referral from Amex SPG Personal to Amex SPG Biz. I've never had an Amex SPG Biz, but I currently also hold an Amex Gold Biz.

I got the message "We are unable to give you an instant decision at this time. Your application will be processed within 10 days".

Should I call them right away? Should I leave it? I'm afraid I'm going to get grilled on this call and they'll discover the self referral! I said "No" to the question "Do you already have an Amex card" as I wasn't sure this would mess up the self-referral or the app.

Any tips on if I should call now - and if so, what questions I should be prepared to answer?
The system is smart enough that when you make an application, it can associate all the previous ones you have with AMEX as well as any card accounts you have with AMEX. When I applied for a new card, they were able to drag out a near decade old card which I was a supplementary holder in that has delinquent payment.

It is possible the reason they haven't crack down on the churning is the work/human-hours require to make changes in the code and implement the no-churning policy cost reasonably more than the amount loss on the number of "frequent users" of churning.

For Canadian flyertalkers that are also with RBC, now they have a new function with partnership with TransUnion through online banking where you can access your credit score and credit profile. You can also do simulations to see how paying more (or less) on your credit card or increase/decrease credit limit or geting one,two, or three extra credit cards affects your credit score. It's a cool new funciton.

As for AMEX, the only newly implemented crack down I have seen is the $200 travel credit for the Platinum Charge Card. If you cancel on year 2 and used both year 1 and year 2's travel credit and took the welcome bonus, the 2nd year travel credit gets crawled back
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: *G
I did global transfer from US to Canada and got my first SPG Amex (Personal) approved. Already spent $1500 for 25K bonus. What would be the best way to get SPG Business? I worked as a contractor for about 3 weeks and then found a new job and working as a full time employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.