Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Try again maybe because it worked for me, beit a different card.
OK it worked this time... THX
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: *void
The referral links I created recently (about 5 days ago) using the email method, were failing too. So, I switched to Facebook and received a slightly different link, and it was fine.

I tried this also for the Amex Plat Rewards as well as the Airmiles Plat...all email referral links failed, but Facebook links worked find.

Now, I just tried the same email referral links which were failing 5 days ago, and they are all also working. So, Amex fixed things, like I knew they would.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:08 pm

Anyone know if the SPG Biz card has had a 20k offer attached to it in recent history? wondering if I should wait for a better offer than the 10k referral + 10k sign-up.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:49 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The highest I have seen this one was 15k about 2 years ago (over the past 4 years). It fell to the 10k mark and hasn't moved from there.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:58 pm

The straight up sign-up bonus for the Business version is 20,000 now - $1,000 minimum spend.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by tng11
The straight up sign-up bonus for the Business version is 20,000 now - $1,000 minimum spend.
Oh yeah...didn't notice that. I guess that's as good as it gets.

Thinking of going hog wild and applying for all of them. Got my personal yesterday, referred my wife. Might get the biz for both of us too. We both got the Biz Gold. We don't have any other credit cards with Amex, so there is room for a second for both of us.

Would work out to 90k starpoints for $540 annual fees. Pretty steep, but not bad compared to Amex Plat 60k for $499 (after travel credit...ignore travel perks). Works out to 0.6c per Starpoint, or 0.5c per airline point.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:50 am

Just a follow-up...after reading about the Avios devaluation this morning, my appetite for Starpoints just went up, up, up. Heck, Aeroplan is looking better. Nice to see Avios kept the short-hauls at 4,500 one way...but if ever you wanted to use Avios to fly a OneWorld partner in J or F long-haul...think again.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Just a follow-up...after reading about the Avios devaluation this morning, my appetite for Starpoints just went up, up, up. Heck, Aeroplan is looking better. Nice to see Avios kept the short-hauls at 4,500 one way...but if ever you wanted to use Avios to fly a OneWorld partner in J or F long-haul...think again.
Yeah, but Aeroplans are a pain to use. They come with such hideous fees for most flights!

Here's an example of this summer's vacation vs. last summer's:

4 tickets YVR-YYZ (100,000 points) = $600 in taxes/fees & $400 to cancel within 22 days before departure (for reinstatement of miles)

4 tickets BLI-HNL (100,000 points)= $48 in taxes/fees & $0 to cancel within 24 hours before departure (for reinstatement of miles)

I think I'll stick with Avios. I do admit that Aeroplan comes in handy for certain flight redemptions, esp. J, but those taxes and fees are killer!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, but Aeroplans are a pain to use. They come with such hideous fees for most flights!

Here's an example of this summer's vacation vs. last summer's:

4 tickets YVR-YYZ (100,000 points) = $600 in taxes/fees & $400 to cancel within 22 days before departure (for reinstatement of miles)

4 tickets BLI-HNL (100,000 points)= $48 in taxes/fees & $0 to cancel within 24 hours before departure (for reinstatement of miles)

I think I'll stick with Avios. I do admit that Aeroplan comes in handy for certain flight redemptions, esp. J, but those taxes and fees are killer!
You are right, J tickets to Europe at 90000 points and taxes can be had for $280 and in my case I have one overnight in YUL and 2 nights in Brussels. This is pending and had a trip last September for the same tax amount.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Received my SPG AMEX last week, I haven't had a SPG card since it was still issue by MBNA. I look forward using it as my main card now, really like their cash+points redemption
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You are right, J tickets to Europe at 90000 points and taxes can be had for $280 and in my case I have one overnight in YUL and 2 nights in Brussels. This is pending and had a trip last September for the same tax amount.
That's amazing! What was your flight itinerary/airline? I am eager to hear how we can better spend our Aeroplans...

Last year I gifted an Aeroplan award to my nephew to save him some money on a trip to Frankfurt. 60,000 and still $750 in fees. Ouch. It was a last minute booking though, so there was no avoiding that. Still saved him $1000, but I was crying on the inside that my points got less than 2% return...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:20 pm

That's amazing! What was your flight itinerary/airline? I am eager to hear how we can better spend our Aeroplans...

Last year I gifted an Aeroplan award to my nephew to save him some money on a trip to Frankfurt. 60,000 and still $750 in fees. Ouch. It was a last minute booking though, so there was no avoiding that. Still saved him $1000, but I was crying on the inside that my points got less than 2% return...
I think one get value flying J not so much Y.

YYC-ORD-BRU-KRK
YYC-YUL-ZRH-BRU

any low or no YQ airlines would accomplish this, UA,LX, SN, LO, TK

there are numerous threads indicating low tax routes and examples on this forum for flights to Europe.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club

Just dont' fly AC or LH (and others who have carrier/fuel surcharges), and get out of Canada as quick as you can.

YYJ-SFO-FRA-BCN (UA+LH), BUD-ZRH-BOS-SFO-YYJ (LX+UA) -- 105,000 Aeroplan points + $187.71ea in J this last summer.

Funny thing was, due to weather in SFO, we ended up being rerouted YYJ-YVR-FRA-BCN outbound on AC+LH, which was the routing we would have preferred, but it cost $600+ more in taxes/fees.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Just dont' fly AC or LH (and others who have carrier/fuel surcharges), and get out of Canada as quick as you can.

YYJ-SFO-FRA-BCN (UA+LH), BUD-ZRH-BOS-SFO-YYJ (LX+UA) -- 105,000 Aeroplan points + $187.71ea in J this last summer.

Funny thing was, due to weather in SFO, we ended up being rerouted YYJ-YVR-FRA-BCN outbound on AC+LH, which was the routing we would have preferred, but it cost $600+ more in taxes/fees.
^ Awesome! Love hearing stories like that!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Great to see the welcome bonus increased back again. Missed out by few days last year. Finally get a chance to sign up for this card ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.