Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel 2010 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel 2010 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Boy, these are bad reviews.
Any more recent experiences, now that it's been open half a year?
Staying in FLL for 2 nights next week, 16th to 18th (Mon to Wed) and trying to decide between:
Sheraton Beach Resort ($83AAA+$50 resort credit)
Westin Beach Resort ($118AAA)
Westin Diplomat ($199--too expensive for us)
Hyatt Pier 66 ($92 incl. BF, AAA)
Crowne Plaza Beach Hotel ($73 on F&F)
Any thoughts? This Sheraton would have to be a lot worse than the others, considering the price difference... would like to get a few SPG stays in, but open to suggestion.
Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
I am currently staying here, checking out after a 2 night stay. Was surprised at the lack of reviews on Flyertalk for this property, so I will contribute my 2 cents. Only stayed here because it's peak season and I didn't want to pay 450/night at the W Lauderdale or 650/night at the W South Beach. Didn't plan on being in my room much. For that, this hotel works. However, there are some serious flaws with this property and in terms of the quality of the place, it's at the very bottom of any SPG property I have been to in recent memory.

The lobby and general common areas are nice, as there was a recent renovation. The hallways are still dated. The rooms are still dated. This property probably enjoyed its hey day back (and peaked) back in '82. I was "upgraded" to a corner room in the beach tower. The room is nothing worth writing home about. It was musty. The toilet was dark yellow (the water color, pretty gross). The bed was standard. The corner room overlooked their infinity pool and was right on the beach. Not a bad view. The property was built way back when and it's layout shows. To get from the lobby to the beach tower you have to walk outside and across a parking lot (albeit small). If it was raining, probably wouldn't be fun.

The staff is inattentive and almost non-existent. The front desk didn't acknowledge my status upon check in. Parking is across the street for self-park, which is $8 cheaper than having them valet it (they park it in the same garage). Parking has in and out privileges--which is nice but you have to run across a 4 lane street to get to your car efficiently.

The beach is nice enough, the infinity pool decent. The hotel seems pretty busy but more so with tour groups staying here as opposed to individual travelers like myself. The most frustrating part is probably the beach policy. They are generous with towels but beach chairs are strictly 2/room or else there is a 10 dollar charge for a chair. If the place was packed, I could possibly sympathize with this policy, but when they have about 100 lawn chairs stacked unused, I don't. Also, there are 3 people legitimately staying in my room. Only two of us can sit on a chair? Makes no sense and the staff acknowledged this much themselves. Really rubbed me wrong.

Overall, the hotel is dated (even after a renovation), the staff is indifferent, my room very musty, yet the hotel is fair for peak season if you want to be on the beach and in a good location and don't plan on being in your room much, if at all.

Last edited by andrewpartyman; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:07 am
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:43 pm

Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort

We have an award stay booked for Halloween at the Ft. lauderdale Sheraton Beach Resort. Since this is a family trip with my wife and daughters, I am interested in the accommodations. I would welcome any feedback on room quality, beach access and dining.

We have three rooms (daughters are adults).

MR
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:24 pm

Please let me know what you think about FTL Beach Sheraton after your stay. We (me, my wife and 3 year old daughter) are thinking about a reward stay there over Thanksgiving (a ways away I know). I like the fact that it is 28,000 pts for five nights vs. 40,000 at the westin FTL Beach or 48,000 at the W FTL.

For what its worth - I don't think the reviews on the master are all that helpful. Most are pretty negative, but it seems like the reviewers were expecting W or Westin Diplomat amenities at a Sheraton rate. Of course, I could be dead wrong about that .
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
I'm staying at the Sheraton now. Room is in good condition (clean, quiet, comfortable), was upgraded to the 5th floor of the beach tower. All employee interactions have been positive.

Is it as nice as the Westin or W up A1A? Absolutely no. Is the property very large and spread out? Yup, but who cares.

Is it perfectly acceptable priced ~$50/night less than the Westin? For me, absolutely.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again at a sub $200/night rate.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by belynch
I'm staying at the Sheraton now. Room is in good condition (clean, quiet, comfortable), was upgraded to the 5th floor of the beach tower. All employee interactions have been positive.

Is it as nice as the Westin or W up A1A? Absolutely no. Is the property very large and spread out? Yup, but who cares.

Is it perfectly acceptable priced ~$50/night less than the Westin? For me, absolutely.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again at a sub $200/night rate.
Interesting. Pictures?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC-SE (MM), Hilton-Diamond (lifetime)
I am looking at an award stay at this property, particularly since it is only 28,000 points for 5 nights.

When I went to reserve my stay the room on offer was:

2 DOUBLE BEDS TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING , LIMITED VIEW , SWEET SLEEPER BED , HIGH-SPEED INTERNET FOR A FEE, ARMCHAIR AND OTTOMAN

Is this likely the room that would be assigned to me or, given that I am Platinum, might I have a shot at this room, which is also available if not booking with points:

1 King Balcony Oceanview, Deluxe Non-smoking, Sweet Sleeper Bed, High-speed Internet For A Fee, Main Building

I have never used spg points, are there any tricks to getting a better room on points?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Piratos
I am looking at an award stay at this property, particularly since it is only 28,000 points for 5 nights.

When I went to reserve my stay the room on offer was:

2 DOUBLE BEDS TRADITIONAL NON-SMOKING , LIMITED VIEW , SWEET SLEEPER BED , HIGH-SPEED INTERNET FOR A FEE, ARMCHAIR AND OTTOMAN

Is this likely the room that would be assigned to me or, given that I am Platinum, might I have a shot at this room, which is also available if not booking with points:

1 King Balcony Oceanview, Deluxe Non-smoking, Sweet Sleeper Bed, High-speed Internet For A Fee, Main Building

I have never used spg points, are there any tricks to getting a better room on points?

Thanks for your assistance.
Hi. Did you actually stay at this hotel and get the upgrade?
Do they have freezer in the room?
How far is the beach from the hotel?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:29 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Originally Posted by danukraine
Hi. Did you actually stay at this hotel and get the upgrade?
Do they have freezer in the room?
How far is the beach from the hotel?
I was upgraded twice to rooms in the beach building. Nice rooms, decent size, nothing special except the floor to ceiling windows looking at the beach (though 90 degrees to the ocean). There was no freezer, though you could request a refrigerator.
The beach is directly connected to the back of the hotel, though guests of the building by the intracoastal waterway would have to walk quite a bit to the beach.

-- CaptainG
from the Sheraton CDG
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Liberty Travel sale for rooms + airfare + resort credit

Liberty Travel offers a 4-night flight and hotel package for 2 to the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel in Fort Lauderdale, FL, from $738, as seen on Travelzoo. (Double occupancy is required.) Plus, receive a $50 resort credit for free. At $369 per person, it's the lowest current per-person price we could find for this trip by $84 (not including the credit). This trip includes roundtrip airfare from New York City (other cities are available for an additional cost) and a 4-night stay at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. Some dates may be excluded, and additional taxes and fees apply. Vacations must be booked by April 15 for travel from May 1 through December 22.
http://www.libertytravel.com/offerde...eadsourceid=70

This looks worth it, though I can't say if you'd get points/UPG for this...

-- CaptainG
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:23 pm
RNE

Can't Get an Answer from Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel

The Statuesque Mrs. RNE and I are spending New Year's Eve at the subject property. We're wondering if the hotel is having a party that night. I've called the property several times. The person who answers doesn't know, transfers me to the concierge who never answers. Leave a message; no one calls back. I e-mailed the property (using the address on the hotel's webpage). No reply. No bounce back.

Question 1: Is the hotel having a NYE party?
Question 2: Why is this hotel so uncommunicative?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:29 am

Does anyone know if there is a club room at this hotel?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by thehazard
nothing on their website suggests it. perhaps a call to the property would yield a definitive answer?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:32 am
RNE

And perhaps you'll have more luck than I did reaching someone at the hotel that knows. That said, I was just there last weekend and did not see a club (though the hotel is sprawling and I was not looking for one either).

RNE, adding, "There was no NYE party per se at the hotel, but some of us had a party of our own (with fireworks, no less) on the beach beside the hotel."
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thehazard
NO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.