Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Help please: How to complain without being rude???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm a new poster, longer time read,er recently started traveling a lot with work and currently doing SPG platinum challenge!

Anyway I'm relatively new to this whole game and have a question to ask you.... so I'm literally right now staying at the Westin Dublin....I ordered some room service and specifically asked for my burger with no mayonnaise as I'm allergic...

Sooo my order came , I took one bite of the burger and knew it had mayonnaise so spat it out, didn't eat it and requested another. They were really nice on the phone and send em another....when the chap came up he was friendly but almost insinuated I had "confused" the mayonnaise with melted cheese because he said the chef was sure he hadn't put mayonnaise on it...I quickly opened up the uneaten burger and showed him to which he responded sheepishly "Sorry sir that is mayonnaise, I want to take this to show the he because he told me there was no way he put it on" and he was very nice and apologetic....

Annnnnnnyway..... here's the thing, ultimately I know people make mistakes so I wasn't too fussed, but now I've just thrown up and feel pretty queasy which happens when I eat mayonnaise (I thought I'd managed to spit it all out but obviously not)..... I kind of feel like this is ruining my stay here a bit and I am not getting a good night's rest for work and it has impacted my stay and I feel they should know....BUUUT I understand it was a mistake and don't wanna sound like a d*ck!

What would you do? Should I complain? Should I say nothing? If I complain how do I do it?

Really not sure and feeling like this isn't helping

Thx all!

BTW: I've already stayed here like 7 or 8 nights and will be staying here every week for a minimum for 4 nights a week till mid March....just in case that info affects your response
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by thechief123
Hi all,

I'm a new poster, longer time read,er recently started traveling a lot with work and currently doing SPG platinum challenge!

Anyway I'm relatively new to this whole game and have a question to ask you.... so I'm literally right now staying at the Westin Dublin....I ordered some room service and specifically asked for my burger with no mayonnaise as I'm allergic...

Sooo my order came , I took one bite of the burger and knew it had mayonnaise so spat it out, didn't eat it and requested another. They were really nice on the phone and send em another....when the chap came up he was friendly but almost insinuated I had "confused" the mayonnaise with melted cheese because he said the chef was sure he hadn't put mayonnaise on it...I quickly opened up the uneaten burger and showed him to which he responded sheepishly "Sorry sir that is mayonnaise, I want to take this to show the he because he told me there was no way he put it on" and he was very nice and apologetic....

Annnnnnnyway..... here's the thing, ultimately I know people make mistakes so I wasn't too fussed, but now I've just thrown up and feel pretty queasy which happens when I eat mayonnaise (I thought I'd managed to spit it all out but obviously not)..... I kind of feel like this is ruining my stay here a bit and I am not getting a good night's rest for work and it has impacted my stay and I feel they should know....BUUUT I understand it was a mistake and don't wanna sound like a d*ck!

What would you do? Should I complain? Should I say nothing? If I complain how do I do it?

Really not sure and feeling like this isn't helping

Thx all!

BTW: I've already stayed here like 7 or 8 nights and will be staying here every week for a minimum for 4 nights a week till mid March....just in case that info affects your response
Contact the General Manager, since you are still on property. Explain it to him exactly as you've explained it here.

Also, in this day of age of "instant media" I hope you took a picture of the burger before returning it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thx for the advice!

no picture...... didn't think at all .... doh!

It's ok to speak to the manager tomorrow or should i do it now? its just its late and Im not feeling great...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thx for the advice!

no picture...... didn't think at all .... doh!

It's ok to speak to the manager tomorrow or should i do it now? its just its late and Im not feeling great...
NOW!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The key focus here is to provide feedback and keep it factual. Contact the Manager on Duty and explain what had happened. If they are unwilling to discuss the issue with you, then escalate to the GM.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

So mentioned it to front desk who said she'd inform duty manager

spent day at work

came back, had a phone call from front desk apologizing and seem genuinely sorry and said they are investigating....asked if i wanted anything sending up, I wasn't really sure what to say so politely declined

will let you know what happens , if anyone has any thoughts/comments much appreciated

and thanks for the advice on how to raise the issue without being rude/a d*ck

Like I say i know it was a mistake so I don't really want nay grand investigation but it did impact my stay which sucked and I was tired for work form throwing up all night!

meh we'll see
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:53 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You handled it quickly... which is the way to go.

I would say, however, if I was allergic to something I would definitely be giving a visual inspection before eating something that could accidently have said allergin on it.

Not worth the risk to me.

Does not excuse the hotel action on your specific instructions, but could have been minimized so you are not now "ill".
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
My friend had a hair in her blueberry muffin and got 3000 points! Puking, to me, is worth 10,000.

I think I may start a thread on this... Could be entertaining.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by wharvey

I would say, however, if I was allergic to something I would definitely be giving a visual inspection before eating something that could accidently have said allergin on it.

Does not excuse the hotel action on your specific instructions, but could have been minimized so you are not now "ill".
^
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Move on
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It sure would have been easier if you had looked at the burger before taking a bite.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
...Annnnnnnyway..... BUUUT...
Is this a troll or what! I am sorry for the hotels who have to deal with such "customers"
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Is this a troll or what! I am sorry for the hotels who have to deal with such "customers"
Um... Wow..

TW
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by wharvey

Before reading any responses....my first thought...WTH? You are that allergic and you did not look first?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by highflier1979
Before reading any responses....my first thought...WTH? You are that allergic and you did not look first?
My first thought was that one must be allergic to some ingredient in mayonnaise not to the condiment itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.