Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Old May 9, 2010, 8:17 am
Community Director Emerita

I know three separate people who have been charged excessive taxes erroneously at this property in the last two weeks, this continuing after hotel management has been advised. It happened to me twice, 11 days apart. I have opened a case with Customer Service. Hopefully, it has been resolved. Regardless, this is a heads up to check your hotel bill.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Would someone who knows this property mind summarizing the parking situation? Is street parking an option? (I'll be arriving fairly late and leaving at 5:30am) What is the 24 hour rate in their lot?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by laurajoyce
Would someone who knows this property mind summarizing the parking situation? Is street parking an option? (I'll be arriving fairly late and leaving at 5:30am) What is the 24 hour rate in their lot?
I am pretty sure that street parking is not an option. I have stayed at a great many Starwood hotels in the US and worldwide, and this hotel has the worst parking situation of them all. Unless you get lucky, be prepared for a very long walk and maybe a long time hunting for a space. Or just pay up for valet parking. Give the hotel a call to find out the latest rates.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by laurajoyce
No street parking, and they don't have their own lot : you park in a 3rd party lot which is half a block away to the rear of the hotel. Spaces can be hard to find at times. IIRC, I was paid about $13 for one nights parking a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
One night stay - pleasantly surprised

Room OK - decent lounge with breaky - nice lobby area and efficient parking
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just there last night, but they told me the lounge was closed? I didn't mind as they gave me a breakfast coupon as well as happy hour appetizer.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
No street parking, and they don't have their own lot : you park in a 3rd party lot which is half a block away to the rear of the hotel. Spaces can be hard to find at times. IIRC, I was paid about $13 for one nights parking a few weeks ago.
What about on the street that runs between the back of the property and the parking lot? Last time I stayed there, which has been a while, it looked like that had street parking.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
I stay here several times a year as the location is so convenient. 5 mins from airport and only 20 mins to Santa Monica.

Rooms are nicely appointed and surprisingly quiet even though you can see the runway (I am a light sleeper so that is important to me). Rooms are a bit on the dark side and the lighting not brilliant. They could do with a mini bar.
Parlour suites are enormous.

Lounge (15f) offers an excellent breakfast - good choice and pleasant service.

Lobby bar - good selection of drinks and bar food quite edible BUT the service is poor. Lot of staff rushing around but not actually doing a lot of serving.

Pool area - very nice to take your drink or coffee outside and enjoy the force 10 winds. Pool is usually freezing but not bad for an airport hotel.

Restaurant is reasonable food but expensive.

Parking - not so good. Unless you like walking best to use the valet service.

Rental Desk - actually there isnt one BUT the main Hertz depot (and most of the other rental agencies) are literally round the corner so collection/drop off is quite easy. OK you have to walk for 10 minutes which is probably an arrestable offence in LA but saves you a lot of hassle.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by JCBR
I stay here several times a year as the location is so convenient. 5 mins from airport and only 20 mins to Santa Monica.
We were in venice and decided to stay here - as you point out very accessible

Next day we went to Santa Barbara and it took an hour spot on

Will definately be back if am in the area and just need a sleep / nothing fancy
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I was just there last night, but they told me the lounge was closed? I didn't mind as they gave me a breakfast coupon as well as happy hour appetizer.
Probably becuase it was weekend - was there at the beginning of the week and it was open and as JCBR points out it offers excellent breaky
Wonderful fresh fruit
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JCBR
Pool is usually freezing but not bad for an airport hotel.
Not now it isn't! It was warm as bathwater. No wind either. Just the hot sun blazing down, so I waited til the sun lowered a bit.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Parking on 98th Street, facts and fiction

I stay here on and off over time. Most recently yesterday. Here are some facts about off-street parking situation. Since this hotel is close to Marriott, Crowne Plaza and the Ren. Parking situation applies to all (Ren has additional benefit of 96th Street.

If you stay at the Sheraton Gateway, street parking is available on the NORTH side of 98th Street, for 2 hour duration from 8am to 10pm. Some sections of the SOUTH side of 98th is also available. Best advice: READ SIGNS (note street cleaning day/hours; I recall on the north side, cleaning is Wed noon-1:30 (?)).

For over night parking, DON'T park on the SOUTH side (unless you don't mind moving it between midnight to 1:30am). Do park on the NORTH side per the signage.

I parked here many times. Observing the parking sign and never had a problem. BTW, the walk from 98th to the hotel is less than 2 minutes. Area is well lit at night. Some pedestrian traffic even at late night (mostly hotel worker on/off duty). I would not worry about safety other than your normal safety precaution.

Hope this help.

Gateway closes its CL on weekend. Elites are given breakfast & appetizer coupons.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:37 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I stayed here the 1st weekend in August as we had a 6:00am flight. I parked in valet on a Friday night and told the guy that we are only staying one night but I will pick up the car on Sunday. He told me to tell the front desk that I was on a park and fly rate and to have them validate the blue valet ticket. The valet parking ended up being free.

The only problem was the the three other hotel stops on the shuttle before you get into the terminals.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Gateway closes its CL on weekend. Elites are given breakfast & appetizer coupons.
I'm more concerned about the water situation since that's mostly what I hit up the CL for. Have any elites tried to get bottled water from the front desk or housekeeping during the weekends? Any problems?

Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by rkchua
I'm more concerned about the water situation since that's mostly what I hit up the CL for. Have any elites tried to get bottled water from the front desk or housekeeping during the weekends? Any problems?

Thanks.
never any problems. Just call. They used to give 2 bottles and cut it back to 1, so when you call they are usually happy to fulfill. Same for shower gel, mouthwash, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.