Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there realy no SPG Hotel in Denmark?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is there realy no SPG Hotel in Denmark?

Ok I was just planning my upcomming business trip and was wondering that there seems to be no SPG Hotel in Denmak, Kopenhagen or elswhere.

Any recomendation for another brand in Kopenhagen here in Forum?

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
The Palace Hotel used to be SPG but left in the last year, IIRC. The best hotels in Copenhagen, IMHO, are not chain-affiliated. I had a good stay at The Square and the Skt Petri. I also believe Radisson SAS has several properties to look into. The Marriott is kind of out of the way if the weather isn't nice...
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Depends where in Copenhagen you want to go.

I used to travel there 7 or 8 times a year when I worked for a Danish company. I found the Admiral hotel to be decent and reasonably priced. The location is pretty good too, only 1 block from Nyhaven.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Unfortunately, since Palace Hotel left Le Meridien and SPG after a massive renovation in 2009, us Danes are now part of the exclusive club of developed countries with no Starwood presence.

On a personal note this has meant that I've been unable to maintain Platinum this year, since I was no longer able to top up with some local stays when business travel was low like in 2009

I agree with the other responses, that Petri and Admiral are nice independent hotels. Scandic and RadissonBlu are the dominant chains, but remember that both Mariott and Hilton are in town (or in the case of Hilton a 15 min Metro ride outside town).
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you all for your help!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Originally Posted by raunow
Unfortunately, since Palace Hotel left Le Meridien and SPG after a massive renovation in 2009, us Danes are now part of the exclusive club of developed countries with no Starwood presence.

On a personal note this has meant that I've been unable to maintain Platinum this year, since I was no longer able to top up with some local stays when business travel was low like in 2009

I agree with the other responses, that Petri and Admiral are nice independent hotels. Scandic and RadissonBlu are the dominant chains, but remember that both Mariott and Hilton are in town (or in the case of Hilton a 15 min Metro ride outside town).
The Hilton is nice. But it's an airport hotel and in my experiences it was ALWAYS significantly more expensive then the city hotels with the possible exceptions of the D'anglietere (sp?). Granted, I haven't been there in almost 2 years so my info may be out of date on pricing.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
I have an upcoming trip (Sept 27-Oct 4) to CPH and I was looking forward to staying at the newly-renovated Palace, only to find out from my Ambassador that it is no longer a Starwood, leaving Copenhagen (not to mention Denmark as a whole) completely Starwood-free. When I was last in CPH two years ago, the Palace was, for all intents and purposes, closed for a major renovation, but I beiefly checked the property out and planned to return on my next trip. I realize Denmark is a tiny country, but really Starwood, you don't have a single property in the entire country???
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by tjk1976
I have an upcoming trip (Sept 27-Oct 4) to CPH and I was looking forward to staying at the newly-renovated Palace, only to find out from my Ambassador that it is no longer a Starwood, leaving Copenhagen (not to mention Denmark as a whole) completely Starwood-free. When I was last in CPH two years ago, the Palace was, for all intents and purposes, closed for a major renovation, but I beiefly checked the property out and planned to return on my next trip. I realize Denmark is a tiny country, but really Starwood, you don't have a single property in the entire country???
The palace was a pit. Absolute pit and I refused to stay there after one bad experience. I have no idea how the renovation went, but anything would be better than what it was.

The Marriott is very nice and the location is easily walkable to everything.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by envgeo
The palace was a pit. Absolute pit and I refused to stay there after one bad experience. I have no idea how the renovation went, but anything would be better than what it was.

The Marriott is very nice and the location is easily walkable to everything.
Yeah, nobody seems to have ever had much of anything good to say about the Palace when it was a *wood (or since). The name itself seems like a real misnomer. In the absence of any *wood choices, I decided to check out the Square Hotel, which is ideally located and has mostly good, although mixed, reviews on tripadvisor. I actually could have used the stay towards 2011 status, which also sucks. I've got to say, Denmark has conspicuously slim pickings in terms of higher end hotels, which I find odd.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:38 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sc flier
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Marcellus? Is that you?

Hamlet Act 1, scene 4, 87–91

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Marcellus? Is that you?

Hamlet Act 1, scene 4, 87–91

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Thanks, William, initially upon seeing your reply, I got excited and foolishly thought you had replied to announce the new W Copenhagen or something equally groundbreaking! Instead, all I got was Shakespeare!

Last edited by tjk1976; Sep 16, 2010 at 5:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:33 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by tjk1976
Yeah, nobody seems to have ever had much of anything good to say about the Palace when it was a *wood (or since). The name itself seems like a real misnomer. In the absence of any *wood choices, I decided to check out the Square Hotel, which is ideally located and has mostly good, although mixed, reviews on tripadvisor. I actually could have used the stay towards 2011 status, which also sucks. I've got to say, Denmark has conspicuously slim pickings in terms of higher end hotels, which I find odd.
I believe the mixed reviews at The Square are due to the different room types. Our party took 3 rooms, 2 standard rooms and a junior suite. If you are happy paying Starwood prices, the junior suite makes The Square seem nearly 4 star. The positioning of the junior suites means they have 4-5 windows, letting in lots of light. The other rooms make it a 3 star- many are quite dark. Beware of cruise groups checking in and out. They can delay you. Overall, The Square has an excellent location within good Danish buffet breakfast and many restaurant and snack options nearby.

One caveat- rooms overlooking the square, the good rooms, can be noisy at night due to traffic and revellers.
If you are an espresso drinker, there's an extra charge for it at breakfast, but if you happen to be strolling down Stroget, make sure you stop by the Magasin department store where the cool, foreign baristas make great coffee at Joe and the Juice. Excellent fresh juice blends, too.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:15 pm

RichardKopf, appreciate the comments
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Stayed at the Palace pre and post renovations (in the brief moment it was still SPG).

Nowadays I stay at First Hotel Skt Petri

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.