Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 6, 10, 9:29 am   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Germany
Programs: Miles&More Senator , SPG Platinum, IC Royal Platinum Ambassador,
Posts: 256
Is there realy no SPG Hotel in Denmark?

Ok I was just planning my upcomming business trip and was wondering that there seems to be no SPG Hotel in Denmak, Kopenhagen or elswhere.

Any recomendation for another brand in Kopenhagen here in Forum?

Thanks!
fred8ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 11:14 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 2,179
The Palace Hotel used to be SPG but left in the last year, IIRC. The best hotels in Copenhagen, IMHO, are not chain-affiliated. I had a good stay at The Square and the Skt Petri. I also believe Radisson SAS has several properties to look into. The Marriott is kind of out of the way if the weather isn't nice...
__________________
Founder of Recycle Everything movement and a USC alum!
Fight on Trojans! Beat the Rainbows!
boifromtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 11:19 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MCO-The Mouse House
Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Posts: 1,505
Depends where in Copenhagen you want to go.

I used to travel there 7 or 8 times a year when I worked for a Danish company. I found the Admiral hotel to be decent and reasonably priced. The location is pretty good too, only 1 block from Nyhaven.
BigBopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 12:31 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Programs: SAS *Gold, TK *Gold, LH FTL, DL Silver, SPG Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, SIXT Platinum, Hertz 5*
Posts: 354
Unfortunately, since Palace Hotel left Le Meridien and SPG after a massive renovation in 2009, us Danes are now part of the exclusive club of developed countries with no Starwood presence.

On a personal note this has meant that I've been unable to maintain Platinum this year, since I was no longer able to top up with some local stays when business travel was low like in 2009

I agree with the other responses, that Petri and Admiral are nice independent hotels. Scandic and RadissonBlu are the dominant chains, but remember that both Mariott and Hilton are in town (or in the case of Hilton a 15 min Metro ride outside town).
raunow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 1:03 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Germany
Programs: Miles&More Senator , SPG Platinum, IC Royal Platinum Ambassador,
Posts: 256
Thank you all for your help!
fred8ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 10, 4:33 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MCO-The Mouse House
Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by raunow View Post
Unfortunately, since Palace Hotel left Le Meridien and SPG after a massive renovation in 2009, us Danes are now part of the exclusive club of developed countries with no Starwood presence.

On a personal note this has meant that I've been unable to maintain Platinum this year, since I was no longer able to top up with some local stays when business travel was low like in 2009

I agree with the other responses, that Petri and Admiral are nice independent hotels. Scandic and RadissonBlu are the dominant chains, but remember that both Mariott and Hilton are in town (or in the case of Hilton a 15 min Metro ride outside town).
The Hilton is nice. But it's an airport hotel and in my experiences it was ALWAYS significantly more expensive then the city hotels with the possible exceptions of the D'anglietere (sp?). Granted, I haven't been there in almost 2 years so my info may be out of date on pricing.
BigBopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 12:50 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: YVR
Programs: SPG Plat & Ambassador, Cdn Amex Centurion & associated statuses
Posts: 407
I have an upcoming trip (Sept 27-Oct 4) to CPH and I was looking forward to staying at the newly-renovated Palace, only to find out from my Ambassador that it is no longer a Starwood, leaving Copenhagen (not to mention Denmark as a whole) completely Starwood-free. When I was last in CPH two years ago, the Palace was, for all intents and purposes, closed for a major renovation, but I beiefly checked the property out and planned to return on my next trip. I realize Denmark is a tiny country, but really Starwood, you don't have a single property in the entire country???
tjk1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 1:38 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW, DAL
Programs: AA EXP, SWA A-list, SPG PLT, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk1976 View Post
I have an upcoming trip (Sept 27-Oct 4) to CPH and I was looking forward to staying at the newly-renovated Palace, only to find out from my Ambassador that it is no longer a Starwood, leaving Copenhagen (not to mention Denmark as a whole) completely Starwood-free. When I was last in CPH two years ago, the Palace was, for all intents and purposes, closed for a major renovation, but I beiefly checked the property out and planned to return on my next trip. I realize Denmark is a tiny country, but really Starwood, you don't have a single property in the entire country???
The palace was a pit. Absolute pit and I refused to stay there after one bad experience. I have no idea how the renovation went, but anything would be better than what it was.

The Marriott is very nice and the location is easily walkable to everything.
envgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 1:51 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: YVR
Programs: SPG Plat & Ambassador, Cdn Amex Centurion & associated statuses
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by envgeo View Post
The palace was a pit. Absolute pit and I refused to stay there after one bad experience. I have no idea how the renovation went, but anything would be better than what it was.

The Marriott is very nice and the location is easily walkable to everything.
Yeah, nobody seems to have ever had much of anything good to say about the Palace when it was a *wood (or since). The name itself seems like a real misnomer. In the absence of any *wood choices, I decided to check out the Square Hotel, which is ideally located and has mostly good, although mixed, reviews on tripadvisor. I actually could have used the stay towards 2011 status, which also sucks. I've got to say, Denmark has conspicuously slim pickings in terms of higher end hotels, which I find odd.
tjk1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 5:03 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbia, SC, USA
Programs: SPG Plat, US Silver, DL Coal, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Posts: 9,090
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
sc flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 5:38 pm   #11
Company Representative - Starwood
Award Winner
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: SPG Employee Level
Posts: 28,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc flier View Post
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Marcellus? Is that you?

Hamlet Act 1, scene 4, 8791

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com
__________________
Stay Connected with SPG!
Starwood Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 6:15 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: YVR
Programs: SPG Plat & Ambassador, Cdn Amex Centurion & associated statuses
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
Marcellus? Is that you?

Hamlet Act 1, scene 4, 87–91

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com
Thanks, William, initially upon seeing your reply, I got excited and foolishly thought you had replied to announce the new W Copenhagen or something equally groundbreaking! Instead, all I got was Shakespeare!

Last edited by tjk1976; Sep 16, 10 at 6:15 pm. Reason: typo
tjk1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 6:33 pm   #13
Used to be RichardKopf
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Programs: SPG Plat/IHG Plat/Hilton Dia/Accor Plat/CX Dia/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk1976 View Post
Yeah, nobody seems to have ever had much of anything good to say about the Palace when it was a *wood (or since). The name itself seems like a real misnomer. In the absence of any *wood choices, I decided to check out the Square Hotel, which is ideally located and has mostly good, although mixed, reviews on tripadvisor. I actually could have used the stay towards 2011 status, which also sucks. I've got to say, Denmark has conspicuously slim pickings in terms of higher end hotels, which I find odd.
I believe the mixed reviews at The Square are due to the different room types. Our party took 3 rooms, 2 standard rooms and a junior suite. If you are happy paying Starwood prices, the junior suite makes The Square seem nearly 4 star. The positioning of the junior suites means they have 4-5 windows, letting in lots of light. The other rooms make it a 3 star- many are quite dark. Beware of cruise groups checking in and out. They can delay you. Overall, The Square has an excellent location within good Danish buffet breakfast and many restaurant and snack options nearby.

One caveat- rooms overlooking the square, the good rooms, can be noisy at night due to traffic and revellers.
If you are an espresso drinker, there's an extra charge for it at breakfast, but if you happen to be strolling down Stroget, make sure you stop by the Magasin department store where the cool, foreign baristas make great coffee at Joe and the Juice. Excellent fresh juice blends, too.
BonViveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 7:15 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: YVR
Programs: SPG Plat & Ambassador, Cdn Amex Centurion & associated statuses
Posts: 407
RichardKopf, appreciate the comments
tjk1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 10, 8:49 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Posts: 132
Stayed at the Palace pre and post renovations (in the brief moment it was still SPG).

Nowadays I stay at First Hotel Skt Petri
leo-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:42 am.