Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New room designs coming to both the Sheraton and Westin brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Following link has an article on some of the changes coming to both the Sheraton and Westin room designs:

http://www.hotelworldnetwork.com/sta...esign-starwood
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:53 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I feel like this is the fifth Sheraton room prototype in the last decade or so. There was the old Ralph Lauren-inspired/pinstriped duvet cover room with the jeweled blue walls and sleigh bed from about 10 years ago, then the redesign with the red plaid walls and white subway tile bathrooms a couple of years ago, then the more recent redesign with the ivory headboards, taupe colors and white comforters, then the even more recent redesign as seen in the Sheraton Boston renovation (although I'm not sure whether the last one was a prototype for the chain or specific to that one property).
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
All of these designs are just so much fluff. An actual improvement would be to have electrical outlets around the room so you don't have unplug a lamp or clock just to plug something in. I'd estimate only about 10% of Starwood rooms have open outlets near the bed.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
An actual improvement would be to have electrical outlets around the room so you don't have unplug a lamp or clock just to plug something in. I'd estimate only about 10% of Starwood rooms have open outlets near the bed.
That's actually mentioned as an upgrade in the article and I agree that this is important.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

This somehow doesnt make sense to me. The Westin brand started a new design scheme 4/4.5 years ago. Properties in Chicago(Mich Ave.), Philly, DC(Grand), Atlanta(Buckhead), Fort Lauderdale(Resort on beach), Orlando, Memphis, New Orleans(Canal Place), Los Angeles (Bonaventure) all went to the new scheme.

Now they are changing it??
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by christianj
That's actually mentioned as an upgrade in the article and I agree that this is important.
Thanks, I missed that.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by christianj
Turns out I am not the only one who likes to work in bed with the light on. Quite a hassle at most places I stay.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hopefully such a re-design would make it standard for bathrooms to have a separate tub and shower.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
Just keep the room clean and follow through on maintenance.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Hopefully such a re-design would make it standard for bathrooms to have a separate tub and shower.
If properties are renovating, is that feasible in every room? Some properties do not have enough space to put in a shower and tub, unless they are going to take space from the room.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Why not a two-person jacuzzi in each room, too?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't like the revival scheme at all - the glass top tables look too old fashioned and out of place, and colors are backwards: the walls should have lighter colors to allow more light throughout the room (except when the curtains are drawn and the lights out) and make it appear larger, while the furniture and bed covering should be darker to avoid the worn out, stained appearance that is likely to occur from frequent use. A stain on that chair is going to show clearly, and probably forever.

I'm no expert (although I watch HGTV alot ), but I would redo the revival design as follows:

1) ditch the silly glass table and find a table that matches the design of the sink basin from the bathroom

2) put the chair colors on the walls, and the wall color on the chairs

3) grab the blue/brown accent colors from the curtains and integrate them into a more stylish bedding cover

4) a comfortable (not so stylish) work chair is needed - a good example is the chair used by renovated HGI properties

5) the room curtains should pick up the darker color from the chairs and integrate accent colors that can match lamps, art or other accessories in the room

Voila
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't like the revival scheme at all - the glass top tables look too old fashioned and out of place, and colors are backwards: the walls should have lighter colors to allow more light throughout the room (except when the curtains are drawn and the lights out) and make it appear larger, while the furniture and bed covering should be darker to avoid the worn out, stained appearance that is likely to occur from frequent use. A stain on that chair is going to show clearly, and probably forever.

I'm no expert (although I watch HGTV alot ), but I would redo the revival design as follows:

1) ditch the silly glass table and find a table that matches the design of the sink basin from the bathroom

3) grab the blue/brown accent colors from the curtains and integrate them into a more stylish bedding cover

4) a comfortable (not so stylish) work chair is needed - a good example is the chair used by renovated HGI properties

5) the room curtains should pick up the darker color from the chairs and integrate accent colors that can match lamps, art or other accessories in the room

Voila
So much for the Antonio Treatmetn/Myles of Style/David Bromstad with you here?!

Vern, Genevieve and Candace.....look out! LMAO
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I also don't like the curtain in Sheraton's Revival scheme.

I do like the idea of the ottoman that fits underneath the chair to get it out of the way.

The article leads me to believe that more rooms will have standalone showers in lieu of tubs.

Why are there no hand towels hanging in that bathroom photo? Where are the designers suggesting that the hairdryer be stored? These are two functional flaws common to many hotels, and I am inclined to blame the brand designers in some cases. I hope that the designers will take the lead in addressing details such as towel placement with functionality in mind. (And none of that old silliness of layering the towels with the washclothes on top of the hand towels. That's like setting a table with dinner forks on top of the salad forks, IMO.)

A few notable excerpts:
"The redesigns are in the process of being rolled out to Sheratons and Westins currently undergoing renovations (all new-builds will also contain the new generation schemes). Hoover says the Westin Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego will be the first hotel to begin a full installation in November and is targeting an early 2011 completion."

"But it’s as much about modern convenience with such additions as outlets on the nightstand so mobile phones can plug in."

In reference to the Westin's Renewal Suite:
"A Kohler soaking tub is contiguous to the shower, while a Landmark faucet dispenses water seemingly from the mirror."
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Voila
A few of the Westin hotels I have been in have Herman Miller chairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.