Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by soy
I would also point out that the breakfast spread is far from basic (described as basic in another post comparig the various SPG LGK hotels), perhaps this also has been improved.
I did mention in post 38 above that they have improved the breakfast. Yes, its now far from 'basic' but I still feel the breakfast at the Sheraton & Westin is better.

The other thing I forgot to add is that for platinum guests, the welcome amenities include a bottle of sparkling wine (they are honest enough not to use the name 'champagne'), a bento box containing various local snacks (fried tofu, grilled shrimped, satay sauce) & a very elaborate fruit basket (which seem to be replaced daily & sometimes more fruits are added later in the day)
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

soy and mario33 have both written very helpful reports about the hotel. I will attempt to give some anicillary information. We have just completed a three night Cash and Points stay. We liked both the hotel and the island of Langkawi.

We flew in on AirAsia from Singapore. All planes use stairs; there are no wings to planes. Immigration was relatively slow with careful scrutiny of passports. I was glad we were seated near the front of the plane.

We had decided in advance to rent a car. We had gotten a price from the rental company used by the hotel. It was roughly $40/day at the airport and a little higher at the hotel. We decided to take our chances on renting from one of the 10 or so rental companies hawking their cars in the luggage claim area. My husband checked prices at 3 of them, finding $50 for 3 days for high mileage Proton. We upped it to $80 for 3 days for a Nissan Sentra. It had 180K km, but ran very well. We had to pay 50 MYR for a key deposit that we got back on our return.

We had lunch at Nam, on the grounds of the Bon Ton Hotel, then stocked up on beverages at the only large gas station enroute to Andaman.

When we arrived at the hotel, the GM, Anne Scott, came to meet us. She is the GM who opened Le Meridien Chiang Rai. She moved to this property 8 months ago. We talked a bit about Starwood's plans for the hotel. There is a significant renovation budget, with work to be completed in 18 months. The hotel is owned by the same company as the neighboring Datai. The owners committed to the renovation as a condition for Starwood taking over management. We were relatively oblivious to the need for renovations, as we were put in a freshly renovated room with a great view of the bay. We had a room on the top floor which I liked. With the significiant foliage around the hotel, the higher the room, the better the water view.

We were comped breakfast since I am a platinum. Breakfast is on the ground floor, overlooking the meandering pool, with a rather limited view of the water. Breakfast offerings were extensive from many areas of the world. I particularly liked their vegetarian dal with roti canal. On our final morning, we left before the restaurant opened at 7am. We were given breakfast in our room.

We took our evening meals either at the Andaman or the Datai. Cross signing is allowed between the two hotels, and drivers will take you to the other hotel for free. Our best meals were at the Datai. We ate in both their Malay Indian restaurant and their Thai restaurant. The Thai restaurant is a separate building on the grounds of the Datai. It gives the feeling of a treehouse, open to all sides, surrounded by trees. Food was superbly prepared. The Malay Indian restaurant is called Gulai. It is an easy walk from the Andaman along the beach. It is also open air, set amongst the trees. If you walk over before sunset, they will call a hotel car to take you back. Or, you can take a car both ways.

The hotel serves lunch at tables on the beach, shaded by trees. This looked very appealing, though we did not try it.

We were given plenty of water bottles each day, so the problem that soy mentioned is now resolved. There was a Nespresso maker in the room, and we made tea as well. We were given 6 to 8 water bottles each day, whatever we needed. The fruit basket was lavish, including a luscious mango each day. We were brought some sushi our first night. There is a sign on the door to the non balcony to keep it closed because of monkeys. They will enter the room and steal the fruit. We saw them doing just that on the walkway where maids had put out leftover fruit baskets.

The Westin has a much better water view. We stopped there for a cold drink one day. There is no foliage, so there is an unobstructed view to the water and the islands beyond. It was mesmerizing. Still, I found the shaded grounds of the Andaman very peaceful and relaxing.

While we were checked in efficiently, check out was the weakest point of our stay. It took half an hour.

We found the island very pretty, and the stay a pleasure. I recommend the hotel.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 21, 2011 at 11:27 pm Reason: typos
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks, SD1K, mario33, soy and everyone else for the useful info on this hotel. SD1K, you mentioned the extensive renovations. Would you know if they consist of anything beyond the room renovations that are partly completed? If so, what would that be?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Thank you indeed, Carol! Excellent and balanced review. Desperately weighing whether this property is worth the trip or not. I fear your review was too balanced because I still can't decide!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:54 am
SST

Gary, let me say that the Andaman is a breath of fresh air. Literally. It is the antidote to the one-size-fits-all chain hotel in Asia. I highly recommend it and suggest you give it a try.

SanDiego's review above is spot on.

1. The beach between the Andaman and the Datai is the finest sugar-white sand--- no burning the feet. The water is a gentle slope in, without large waves most days. If you're looking for water sports-fuggeddaboutit. No surfers, only a few children when we were there (they seemed to stay at the pool), nonmotorized watercraft, nearby island(s?), and a pleasant 1 km walk down to the Datai. That's it on the beach: no hawkers, no bums (present company excepted), nothing commercial to distract. It is a relaxing time indeed to simply "sit" and chill. And have chilled beverages brought to you. The view is peaceful.

2. Breakfast is international-standard excellent. Dinner is best if you pick a fish from the fisherman who comes up with a selection to the beach at about 4 pm. First come, first served. They book you for a table at a time of your choice, take your order for malay, indian- or euro-style preparation, ask you whether you want it pre-fileted or as a whole fish, and you've got the evening's entertainment. Sitting out under the stars, with flying animals in the trees, the service is adequate and while this is expensive for Asia, it's no more than a decent dinner in NYC or SF, and entirely pleasant.

3. We had a blackout at the hotel. Lasted about an hour, added to the variety as the staff lit candles in the areas where the remaining lighting was dim. An oddity, but didn't in any way subtract from the vacation: if anything, it reminded of the fact that this is an island, that you're far off the beaten path on it, and the whole experience is a major behind-the-scenes effort.

4. Dinner at Gulai is wonderful-- food great, walking home thru the jungle or along the beach a treat (watch out for the boars playing near the stream bridge!--- and bugs! It's a jungle!) My only wish is that we had more nights to check out the thai restaurant others have raved about, and a couple offsite places recommended by fellow guests.

5. Renting a car is a must unless you want to be strictly at the hotel. We got a low mileage proton (40k), three days for $80, with the 50 Rinngit deposit. Just haggled a little in the entry hall. Perfectly fine car. Cheaper than a r/t cab. Driving on the island is fine (but I didn't go to the main town, either, so ymmv.)

6. Visited two waterfalls: the one on the way up Datai Rd., halfway to the hotel, and one about 10km across the northern coast road. Both absolutely beautiful. We did one in the rain one day--- made for a solitary, and beautiful, experience.

There's a cultural center with crafts and clothing about 8 km from the Datai Rd. junction--- worth visiting to see things all in one place. Probably a 20 minute stop in my book; spouse stretched this to 40, we weren't much poorer afterwards--- certain things are very reasonable.

7. My only regret: that we had budgeted only three days. I would happily set down here for 5-7. We will be back, despite the distance from California.

8. We flew on Firefly, which was a perfectly decent LCC from/to Penang and other Malay/SE Asia destinations. Air Asia available also, from KL.

9. A word on wildlife walks: these were fun and educational, well worth doing. Plan on bringing DEET--- you'll be very popular. The key, though, is to actually put it on before you leave the room, as it seems to work best when it's had a few minutes to settle in. Go see the snakes and birds, too, when the staff bring them out near the pool area. Having a golden eagle on your arm is an amazing way to actually study this beautiful animal. Snakes aren't my thing, but they were sure THERE for you. Or not.

10. The spa, up the hill. It looked beautiful, if a little pricey. More days would have led to a couple treatments, as it is we had to pass if we wanted to get some sightseeing in. Didn't make it to the gondola, but was assured by others that it was well worth visiting.

11. Our room was not especially large, but did have a sea view thru the jungle and a terrace. The Platinum amenities were as SanDiego stated, and I'd love to try a suite, but we were there for New Year's. While the hotel was sold out, it sure didn't feel like it.

12. Best memory: stopping the world while I whiled away time on that beach, looking at that view, with a limited array of distractions, popping into the warm water when it suited me, and only keeping track of the time by the man coming by with fish. The long walk down to Datai, and having a drink before walking back, watching the little sand spiders rush back into their beach holes.

Enjoy this place for a quiet getaway---- I hope "renovation" doesn't mean waterslides, playgrounds, jet skis, burger counters or boutiques. That would mean changing to the Datai. My wish list for the Andaman would include more suites for upgrades, a better wine list (tough in Malaysia but Starwood can come through!), and light dinner availability at the beach bar.

We're looking forward to a return trip.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Last month we had a 5 night award stay at the Andaman. I had simultaneous bookings at both the Andaman and the Westin and waited to the last minute to decide between the two. Boy, was I glad I picked the Andaman! In our drive around the island, we checked out the Sheraton (great afternoon tea) and the Westin (lavish modern resort), but the Andaman is a very different experience and it is about the location and the animals - hornbills, monkeys, lemurs, etc... and a private beach.
We preceded it with a 2 night stay at the Westin Kuala Lumpur and again loved the location of that choice vs. the KL Sheraton or Le Meridien.
What would be great is the Westin quality room at the Andaman, but it is still worth a visit there as is, in my opinion.
Also, breakfast buffet included bloody marys and champagne, so you start the day out in a good mood !
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:01 am
Suspended

Very useful & interesting report by SanDiego1K !

A few comments & additions to the report :-

Petronas gas station at 'Telaga Harbour' : a good place to stock-up on snacks & (soft) drinks for those staying at The Andaman & Sheraton. They do accept credit cards but not amex (only visa & mastercard). Theres also a KFC next to the gas station, if you are tired of hotel food & touristy restaurants.

Breakfast : while the buffet spread has been improved & is more than adequate, I still find that its a notch below the breakfast at the Westin. Since 'roti canai' was mentioned here, at The Andaman I found the roti to be a bit stale on the buffet counter (could be that I usually turn up for breakfast late) while at The Westin they have a special station for "roti canai' where its freshly made in front of you. A good 'roti canai' should be hot & fluffy

Sea View : while I agree the seaview is better at the Westin from the public areas (lobby, restaurants etc), its a close match when it comes to the rooms (however my preference is still with The Andaman)

Drinking Water : as in most resorts in SE Asia (except LM Chiang Rai), they are very generous with bottled drinking water. However, one of the quirks in this resort is that the bottled water is replenished by 'room service' when they go round delivering fruit baskets rather than by 'housekeeping' when they service the rooms. So there will be instances when guests returned to their rooms which have been cleaned but the bottled water have not been replenished yet.

The Datai : while they are now under different ownership , cross-signing at F&B outlets is being continued as well as complimentary transfer between the resorts. Gulai House (which used to be part of Andaman) was once voted the best Malay restaurant in the country. Pavillion (thai) treetop setting is indeed very unique. Also had great food at the Beach Club.

General Manager : Anne is very passionate about her work & is always striving for improvements. She was recently voted "Asia's Leading Woman in Hospitality"
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SST
My wish list for the Andaman would include more suites for upgrades
Never mind about the suites, I wish the seaview rooms have a proper balcony where I could sit out there to enjoy the view & fresh air !
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Would you know if they consist of anything beyond the room renovations that are partly completed? If so, what would that be?
I believe most rooms have been renovated.

The gym has also been renovated & was recently featured in DestinAsia travel megazine as one of the 4 most outstanding gym "with a view" in Asia. While the gym is spacious & modern, I didnt think the view (of the rainforest trees) is that impressive

According to Anne, the lobby will soon be 'refreshed' while the rooms will see further improvements with larger tv & security safe.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
Never mind about the suites, I wish the seaview rooms have a proper balcony where I could sit out there to enjoy the view & fresh air !
+1. Nevertheless, you folks are all doing a great job of making this place sound very appealing, even as you're still being very balanced in your assessments of it.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:36 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
This is all great info as the Andaman has been on my short list. Did anyone spend time in World Heritage Site, Georgetown? I keep thinking that I'd split a two week trip between Malaysia and Bali, but maybe that's overreaching.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:51 pm
SST

Originally Posted by Jailer
This is all great info as the Andaman has been on my short list. Did anyone spend time in World Heritage Site, Georgetown? I keep thinking that I'd split a two week trip between Malaysia and Bali, but maybe that's overreaching.
George Town is the principal city on Penang; isn't that what you're referring to? Different island! 25 min flight south. And Penang is also a good time, but very different than Langkawi. George Town is a real city. I'm not sure Penang has any large wild places like Langkawi does. But it's a great trip too. We stayed at the E&O Hotel, the grande dame of Penang, which I swear Starwood should be buying. It would be a perfect Luxury Collection hotel. Knowing Starwood, they've probably already tried.......
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

I saw an AirAsia flight from Langkawi to Penang, so that would make it easy to combine the two on a trip.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:28 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I saw an AirAsia flight from Langkawi to Penang, so that would make it easy to combine the two on a trip.
Also a ferry:

The Jeti for Penang is located in Georgetown at Swettenham Pier, near the Beach Street clock tower. There are two departures from Penang to Langkawi each morning. The ferry ride from Penang Island takes approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes.

I think that there are also direct flights to Langkawi from Singapore, so maybe use that as a hub to toggle back and forth between Bali and Langkawi, with a side trip to Georgetown/Penang.

And SST, thanks for the suggestion re E&O.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
@SanDiego1K / @all

Usually I wanted to make a bigger report about the Anderman but SanDiego did it already and at the end everything was said.

I did not meet Anne Scott but found a nice personal written card on our room. For us in all of our trip this hotel came in regard of service to Platinum as No 1.

I booked one paid night and my first C&P night ever. We received room upgrade to See view as well as for the first night a bollte of sparkling wine. As I did not open it 2nd night we found a bottle of Australien Champagne on our Room (store price ~ 30 €). Including free Breakfast and plenty of water, in room and pool as well as twice offered on the beach chair!!! for free. (Fruits as mentioned as well.)

This for my personal feeling by far moren than I ever expect in any hotel.

Our beed and bathroom was new. And sorry m8s forget a bout the Plasma. If anybody need in this location a plasma then I can't help you.

For us we found ourself like on antoher planed so quiet and nice. We will come back and stay a week next time.

Btw. also the pricing of food and driinks is ok compared to the other SPG properties or the Westin on Langkawi.

From here we went for another 5 days to the Westin, fully paid. As Platinum we got a room upgrade to a Suit - thanks. But thats it. No discount Breakfast for free or any discount. Except water on the room and some fruits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.