Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
My opinions can be found in the St Regis thread (posts 89, 91, 130)
There are lots of other opinions there too -
The beach is nicer (but still NOT very nice) at the Westin, the "beach" at the St Regis is a mud flat.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:20 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet
My opinions can be found in the St Regis thread (posts 89, 91, 130)
There are lots of other opinions there too -
The beach is nicer (but still NOT very nice) at the Westin, the "beach" at the St Regis is a mud flat.
I thought the beach at the Westin was fine.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
For those that asked - there aren't local eatery's nearby (but you can eat at the Datai), but the hotel offers a shuttle to Kuah and Cenang beach ?every day so if you want to take that and eat while you're there - but for dinner you'd need a taxi or car.
thanks for this, what is approx cost & drivetime of a taxi/car to some local eateries? (& are these a hawker center style eatery or individual restaurants in a "nearby" town?

Have a stay towards the end of Nov this year FWIW.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
thanks for this, what is approx cost & drivetime of a taxi/car to some local eateries? (& are these a hawker center style eatery or individual restaurants in a "nearby" town?

Have a stay towards the end of Nov this year FWIW.
I'd email the hotel and ask - it is far to anything. You might take the shuttle one way and a taxi back (the shuttle's don't run on a time frame that makes getting back after dinner likely AFAIK). Many people rent a car (I didn't) if they want to do a lot outside the resort.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:27 pm

I'd email the hotel and ask - it is far to anything. You might take the shuttle one way and a taxi back (the shuttle's don't run on a time frame that makes getting back after dinner likely AFAIK). Many people rent a car (I didn't) if they want to do a lot outside the resort.
I second estnet's comment. There is no nearby town and on our drive around the island we did not see a hawker center. There are several very good restaurants each at both the Andaman and the Datai, each with a totally different menu, i.e. Thai, Malaysian, seafood, etc., and you can charge all of them to your room at the Andaman. None are inexpensive but the alternative is to take a minimum 20 minute taxi ride each way if your goal is to save $$ on meals. We tried and failed to find a good restaurant frequented by locals.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by LAXGUY
I second estnet's comment. There is no nearby town and on our drive around the island we did not see a hawker center. There are several very good restaurants each at both the Andaman and the Datai, each with a totally different menu, i.e. Thai, Malaysian, seafood, etc., and you can charge all of them to your room at the Andaman. None are inexpensive but the alternative is to take a minimum 20 minute taxi ride each way if your goal is to save $$ on meals. We tried and failed to find a good restaurant frequented by locals.
Second the info above. Even with a car, you will need to drive at least 20 km away to find at least something decent. Best bet is around the town of Kuah where you can find a couple of restaurants.
Depending on what type of food you are looking for - for Malay, these are somewhat easier to find around the villages compared to if you want Chinese/Western. Closes to the hotel is the Telaga harbour complex, about 15-20 mins drive from the hotel (depends how fast you drive) - though food @ the Chinese restaurant here is best average (and on the $$ side compared to the normal one)
There is no real "hawker center" in the are these "hawker" type stalls are located in a restaurant - I hope you know what I mean.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Old May 30, 2017, 5:38 am

Thanks the replies^

Originally Posted by LAXGUY
... if your goal is to save $$ on meals. We tried and failed to find a good restaurant frequented by locals.
Goal is not to save $, goal is to get away from hotel/resorts as they never (in my opinion) have the best food. Sure there is the convenience factor of staying on property but that doesn't surpass my desire for quality/taste.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:15 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Goal is not to save $, goal is to get away from hotel/resorts as they never (in my opinion) have the best food. Sure there is the convenience factor of staying on property but that doesn't surpass my desire for quality/taste.
I can't think of any standout restaurants in Langkawi. IMO, you'll be struggling to find better food outside the Langkawi/Datai (or other hotels like the SR). A trip to Kuah town may be worth it for a change of scenery, and food may be cheaper, but you will probably not find any culinary delights.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:39 pm

Thanks the replies^

I agree with you that hotels and resorts generally don't have the best food--but Langkawi is a small island, and the Andaman is an exception to your rule, in my opinion. The Andaman's beachfront seafood restaurant, the Datai's Thai restaurant and the Gulai House (Malay/Indian cuisine; also at the Datai) all were absolutely first rate during our trip two years ago.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:40 am

Mrs Willie is going to be shocked if we hang local for food, not our usual MO

Thanks again, looks like we'll just kick back and live the resort life for 4 days.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:44 am

Mrs Willie is going to be shocked if we hang local for food, not our usual MO

Thanks again, looks like we'll just kick back and live the resort life for 4 days.
It won't seem quite so local if you go to the Datai on foot. From the Andaman it's a pleasant 10 minute walk along the beach and when you reach the Datai there's a golf cart that will take you to whichever restaurant you have booked over there; makes it seem more like "eating out" vs. taking the hotel elevator to dinner.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club - Platinum
Stayed at The Andaman Langkawi a couple of weeks back. I agree what the previous posters have said about the food - Tepian Laut (the Malay restaurant) and Jala (the seafood place) are both excellent. Seems to be an exception to the rule of resort food being mediocre.

Other than that, I enjoyed other aspects of the resort that are relatively unique - such as the viewing of animals. Thought the coral nursery was a nice touch.

Wrote a review of my experience here: http://iwandered.net/2017/09/20/the-...ngkawi-review/

Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:42 am

Nice photo vogriphach^

From SPG.com in re: to airport transportation costs:

Private Car Service
Fee: Prices are each way: Airport Transfer (Vellfire): 150 MYR; Limo Transfer (BMW 7): 230 MYR; Luxury Limo (Bentley): 320 MYR
Hours: 24 hours
Travel Time: 40 minutes
About: Transportation confirmations and cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance.

Taxi
Fee: 70 MYR
About: Taxis to the hotel are available upon arrival at the airport without prior arrangement.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Currently at the hotel. A new GM took over 1-2 months ago and he is from the Ritz Carlton in Koh Samui.

When I was here 3 yrs ago, I was upgraded to a pool suite. This time, I was told the pool suites are under renovation. Some suites were ready, but they are in the "construction zone". GM offered me a choice of a quiet Jacuzzi suite or a noisy pool suite. The Jacuzzi suite smelled musty and was very dark, plus I never take Jacuzzis, so we opted for the pool suite. The room smelled clean and of fresh paint. I assume we are the first occupants since the reno. Outside, we can hear faint hammering and sawing, but certainly not enough to dissuade us from taking the much better room.

We both love the hotel with the jungle behind us and the Andaman Sea in front of us.

Taxi fare was same as 3 yrs ago (60 MYR).

Of note, the Datai is closed for major renovations until next summer, so no slipping over there for a nice dinner.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:45 pm

I'm confused - didn't the RC KS just open? So how could the new GM be there 1-2 months and be from a hotel that wasn't open that long ago?

Did they say when the pool suite renovation be finished? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.