Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
This is great news. Have a 8 day trip in April. Looking forward to a nice break.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
hi all,

dropped down to gold from plat... looking to stay here! how much will meals cost? no free breakfast for me anymore... estimate? easy to access other restaurants or mostly stuck on resort? how much per person is dinner on the island? ok for a six month old baby?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:22 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
hi all,

dropped down to gold from plat... looking to stay here! how much will meals cost? no free breakfast for me anymore... estimate? easy to access other restaurants or mostly stuck on resort? how much per person is dinner on the island? ok for a six month old baby?
There is nothing nearby. Food is average price for a five star resort, say 50 us per person without drinks. Being a duty free island wine is not too bad. Food was good but service could sometimes be stretched. We saw many infants when we were there but do bear in mind it is a rainforest with lots of mosquitos

You could email the hotel who can send you menus. Most others had breakfast included so I would try for that (unless staying on points)
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by fdemoulin
There is nothing nearby. Food is average price for a five star resort, say 50 us per person without drinks. Being a duty free island wine is not too bad. Food was good but service could sometimes be stretched. We saw many infants when we were there but do bear in mind it is a rainforest with lots of mosquitos
I agree the property is isolated and it would take a significant effort to go to a worthwhile restaurant off-site (15 minute taxi ride each way?). However the similarly situated Datai is adjacent to the Andaman, is accessible by golf cart or by walking 10 minutes along the beach, and has very good Thai and Indian restaurants with cross-signing to your room at the Andaman permitted.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by fdemoulin
Most others had breakfast included so I would try for that (unless staying on points)
Yeah I figured that - I was surprised when I went to book for a week from now that there were some very reasonable rates, but that even the more expensive rates didn't seem to include breakfast.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:32 pm

I am heading there next week. Try the BRG. My final rate with breakfast is 493 MYR.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by tfong007
I am heading there next week. Try the BRG. My final rate with breakfast is 493 MYR.
BRG = best rate guaranteed? What is the process for that? I.E. Where to find better rate, how to get match, etc? Enjoy!
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
BRG = best rate guaranteed? What is the process for that? I.E. Where to find better rate, how to get match, etc? Enjoy!
Have a good read.

FT BRG Thread
SPG BRG website
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:49 pm

I have had good luck with Kayak.de. You gotta just keep trying everyday until you see a price discrepancy of more than 2%. The main BRG thread gives you really good tips on how to get a claim approved. Good luck.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:28 pm

Just returned from an 8 day stay with the family at this wonderful resort. It is a truly amazing gem of a Starwood property. For families there is easily enough to keep you busy for 8 days. I would highly recommend this property for people with kids. As a platinum member we were upgraded to a fantastic suite on the fourth floor. At first we hoped for the pool suite, but this was even better because of the views. The breakfast was not nearly as bad as many previous posters have claimed. Or they have made lots of changes. Either way the breakfast was more than satisfactory. I normally never stay at the same property twice but I will make an exemption for The Andaman. 8 Days passed in a flash.

I dont recommend going to the main beach or city. 45-60 minute trip and not much to buy or see. Wasted precious time I could have spent at the breathtaking beach.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:10 pm

I have the choice between Garden Terrace and Sea View room. I'm only SPG Gold.

Garden room rate I can get with breakfast is $30 more than Seaview room without breakfast.

Any thoughts about which is the clear better choice? Any use betting on an upgrade from the Seaview room?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris
I have the choice between Garden Terrace and Sea View room. I'm only SPG Gold.

Garden room rate I can get with breakfast is $30 more than Seaview room without breakfast.

Any thoughts about which is the clear better choice? Any use betting on an upgrade from the Seaview room?
If you are a couple, the breakfast is worth more than $30 for two. It's a good breakfast and you'll likely get upgraded to Seaview unless the hotel is full. Also, there is nowhere else to eat breakfast in the immediate vicinity. Unless you like to skip breakfast you'll end up spending more than $30.

However if you are traveling at a peak travel time, perhaps the seaview is worth booking straight away.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:20 am

The sea view is really second to none and IMHO worth the money. Waking up to that view is amazing.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:07 am

Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts about the chance of an upgrade to a suite from the Seaview room?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Originally Posted by bmchris
Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts about the chance of an upgrade to a suite from the Seaview room?
Stayed there last March for 9 nights as PLT100. Booked the lowest category room and got upgraded to Executive Pool Suite for entire stay. This was done a few days ahead of arrival, without any SNA. Think it was even more than 5 days ahead of arrival.
Very nice property

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.