Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:30 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Suite Upgrade

This question is not particularly aimed at the W Barcelona but has a more general application.

If, as a Platinum, you book a suite what is the policy (if any) about being upgraded to a better suite?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:01 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by OPebble
This question is not particularly aimed at the W Barcelona but has a more general application.

If, as a Platinum, you book a suite what is the policy (if any) about being upgraded to a better suite?
They usually don't do this. However, YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
I am going to be slightly contrarian here and say that the W Barcelona is my favorite W property so far.

Yes, the location is a bit inconvenient, so I took the chance to treat my stay as a visit to a "retreat within a city" and loved it.

If coming to/from the Airport, the #17 Bus goes directly to the hotel from Plaza Catalunya, with an easy connection to the Aerobus.

The hotel really feels exactly like the preview video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTCDhNrFkQg&NR=1

Staff pays extra attention to detail. During my breakfast, I overheard the "style" team discussing the proper alignment of couches and pillows, down to the centimeter. This went of for fifteen minutes.

As a Platinum, I got an upgrade to a Cool Corner Suite--it looks like there are about 2 on each floor, or 1 out of 9 rooms, approximately, so I am guessing upgrade chances are good. The room had oversized bottles of Bliss products--so big I almost felt guilty taking 120 ml of body butter home with me!

The restaurant was great, and not super expensive (10 Euro appetizers, 20-30 Euro mains). If you dine there be sure to try the "Flight of Gazpacho"--it was memorable.

Also the gym was one of the largest and best-equipped hotel gyms I have seen--with the same Technogym equipment you find at all the other W properties...

It will be interesting to see how the property evolves once the weather improves and they open up the pool area, etc.

In the meantime, here are my pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=5256fb61b6
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by boifromtroy
I am going to be slightly contrarian here and say that the W Barcelona is my favorite W property so far.
I would have to agree with you - this is my favourite W too.

Stayed here for one night in November and got the standard Platinum upgrade to a Fantastic Suite. The hotel is stunning; the interior furnishings aren't quite as good as the exterior design but the setting is spectacular. Staff were really sweet and helpful and had none of the attitude I have experienced in one or two W hotels. We were offered late check out without a problem.

We had a 6th floor room with a jaw-dropping city view. The bed was huge and comfy and the Bliss products were all in much larger sizes rather than usual tiny bottles. The room had all kinds of stuff that I really wasn't sure what to make of: an Apple Mac computer in the room (which may or may not have worked), a mood lighting system that looked fun but was too complicated for my tiny brain, and automated window blinds.

One major quirk: the bathroom was not separate; the bath was next to the bed (below) the sink opposite the living room and both the shower and the lavatory had transparent doors. I understand the attraction of seeing someone in the shower but I really have no need to watch someone on the toilet.

The small pool and sundeck area looked great, although I would bet it will be less enjoyable when packed to capacity in summer.

The location is actually nice. First-time visitors to the city, or those wanting Platinum benefits like breafkast, would certainly be better off at the the super-central Le Meridien, but the port setting of La Vela has its advantages and certainly made a nice change for us. Strolling along the beach was great. It was a fair walk to the nearest Metro but there is a bus stop right outside the hotel with frequent and cheap services into town so no need for taxis all the time.

More views here, here and here.

The top level bar was certainly popular with the in-crowd. We returned to the hotel late on a Saturday evening to find the ground floor lifts guarded by one of those hateful people sporting headphones and a clipboard guestlist; the lobby was overwhelmed with hundreds of preening revellers all trying to get past the clipboard-wallah and into the lift that goes to the top floor. Fortunately a security guard spotted our room key and parted the crowd for us. We decided to check out the bar just for a laugh; as we expected, it was full of self-regarding types strutting about with overpriced drinks but I guess that will be a plus for many. Certainly the views were amazing; there was even an ocean-facing window above the urinals in the gents. After 10 minutes yelling at each other over the music, we retired to bed.

Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:21 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about the parking arrangements here....or, if there is reasonable parking nearby?

TIA
Old Apr 6, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
They have a parking garage underneath but I have no idea what it costs...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:32 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Thanks Boifromtroy!

I should have, however, just gone a page back on the thread....it was listed by someone else as Euros 25 per day. Does anyone know if I can use it to come and go as I please? Or, if I would be better off looking for parking elsewhere, nearby?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
I used to park on the street. It is free and space is always available. The garage is outrageously expensive and is operated by a third party, not the hotel.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
W Barcelona review

Stayed there over the Easter weekend and I really loved the hotel. I had a Fantastic suite as Platinum upgrade. Rooms, public spaces, Eclipse sky bar, staff, main floor restaurant, terrace, service - all this was exceptional and amazing. I recommend a stay to anyone looking for a great hotel in a great city!

However, 2 con's to be added:

1) The spa costs 20 € entrance per person to use the Jaccuzzi and Sauna / Steam room. That is for Platinum members, too. There is a free-of-charge sauna, which is far too dry and hot, my girlfriend and I could not stand it more than 3 minutes - and we regularly go to the sauna. Also, it is within the male and female locker rooms, so we couldn't go together (at least we didn't try). I think at least the general entry to the spa should be free of charge for Platinum members - I don't want to pay 40 € for just using the Jaccuzzi and a proper sauna...

2) The Michelin-awarded restaurant was a disappointment. Compared to the main floor restaurant, which was excellent, the food was no improvement. To be more precise, my beef filet was not even in the top 200 I have had in my - not that long - life. One of the pieces was not eatable as it was full of streaks and tendons (and it was only 10 pieces). The Jamón Iberico was worse than in the SLS Beverly Hills, where I had the best of this ham in my life - but still very good (just suprised me that the SLS in the US was better on this). The main dissappointment, however, was the service:
  • Waiters were unfriendly in their attitude
  • Waiters lacked etiquette (when I poured more wine into my girlfriend's glass - as no waiter did so for a period of time - the waiter took the bottle out of my hand and continued. I consider this highly inappropriate. To add to this, the waiter displayed less "pouring-skills" then I myself have and spilled wine each time he served us some)
  • Waiters were not competent (when we asked for a "not-so-dry" red wine, instead of giving advice, he brang white wine at first) - but they always displayed their "competence" in a very educational manner ("Iberico ham is pork. XYZ ham is beef. You know that?" - "Yes I do, could I please have the Iberico as I said?")

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So my advice when staying at this hotel is to eat in the main floor restaurant, the "Flight of Gazpacho" is a sensational dish (as mentioned above) - and so are the Cheese and Apple Tarts - or the Shrimp Avodaco rolls!

As for the Spa, be prepared to pay entrance fees - unless you can convince the hotel to give complimentary access to Platinum members (if you do, please tell me so!)

Oh, and if you take your girlfriend to the Eclipse Bar, be prepared for Spanish guys sneaking on her from behind and taking a photo next to her behind - very desperate people in this city, but at least he has got a photo to remember
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Sphinx
I used to park on the street. It is free and space is always available. The garage is outrageously expensive and is operated by a third party, not the hotel.
Thank you Sphinx! It is much appreciated!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by asnesne
Oh, and if you take your girlfriend to the Eclipse Bar, be prepared for Spanish guys sneaking on her from behind and taking a photo next to her behind - very desperate people in this city, but at least he has got a photo to remember
Or.....maybe your girlfriend is just too gorgeous? BTW....thanks for the review!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Self park wasn't expensive - I can't remember exactly but around 15€ a day

Great (safe) car park - lift direct to entrance of hotel
Old Apr 7, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by Sphinx
Very windy area - would think twice before parking outside
Parking wasn't outrageously expensive - maybe expensive for Spain but perfectly normal for Italy / France

Area directly infront of hotel is for taxis - so parking outside would be 200 / 300 metres away..
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
Originally Posted by Shantanu
Or.....maybe your girlfriend is just too gorgeous? BTW....thanks for the review!
That's how I calmed myself down Still didn't feel that nice...

Generally, the crowd in Eclipse was a young one, you could say trendy, you could say snobby though,too. Definitely more lively than a normal "bar", but not a nightclub with dancing etc.
But 100% a place worth to visit, with great cocktails and an amazing view!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by terminalfive
Very windy area - would think twice before parking outside
Parking wasn't outrageously expensive - maybe expensive for Spain but perfectly normal for Italy / France

Area directly infront of hotel is for taxis - so parking outside would be 200 / 300 metres away..
That's good to know......thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.