Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Poinsett, Greenville, SC [Master Thread]

Westin Poinsett, Greenville, SC [Master Thread]

Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat- 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold\
Arrow Westin Poinsett, Greenville, SC [Master Thread]

anyone stay here recently? can you provide a review?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:21 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
It's not a typical Westin. It's in an old "historical" building, and the interiors reflect that (in a good way). Aside from the turn-of-the-century ambiance, I don't find anything especially wonderful about it, except that it offers SPG credit for stays when I'm in Greenville, nor do I find anything particularly regrettable. It's a nice, upscale, comfortable hotel. The rooms are spacious, but to me they've always seemed to have the vibe of a bare, empty room with some furniture in them, as opposed to a well-decorated living space, if that makes any sense. Valet parking is available, but the self-parking is conveniently located. A nice workout room, if maybe a bit smallish. I think the hotel may not have a pool. No club lounge. Breakfast buffet is nice, including made-to-order omelets. As a SPG platinum, I've been upgraded to a suite about half the time. The hotel generally accepts the SPG50 coupon, which can sometimes offer a savings.

The best thing about this Westin is its location on Greenville's Main Street, where some nice restaurants can be found, and near the recently-developed riverfront. There's plenty of good dining on the "downtown" side of the river, but if you like Brazilian steak, cross the river and keep going for a block or so (walkable). I've forgotten the name of the restaurant, but I'm sure the Westin concierge will know.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:33 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Does anyone have any recent experience here?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:09 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I was there again just last week. It's still pretty much the same as my evaluation from 8 months ago, above, although this time I did not dine at the Brazilian steak house, so I'm not certain whether it's still there or not. The Thai restaurant on Main Street is pretty good, as are at least two good upscale Italian places and a few others that look good.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:14 pm

Thanks! Is the Brazilian Steakhouse called The Rio Grille by chance? If so, it is still there.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is one of the more interesting Westins. I stayed here about eight months ago and was upgraded to a large suite, although its living room didn't have any windows. I also avoided the valet parking. Greenville is a cute town, dog-friendly, very interesting and walkable. No pool in the hotel and sometimes its restaurant is closed. The bartender sent me to a wonderful foodie place for dinner, on the same side of the main street as the hotel, about three blocks beyond the river.

The elevators in this hotel were a mess; expect long waits and crowded ones when they finally arrive. To make it worse, you take one elevator from the entrance to the lobby and then use another elevator bank to access the floors with rooms, although the elevators are positioned in the lobby in a way that the separate elevators do not enhance security. These are old slow elevators and there seems to be no service elevator for luggage from the entrance to the lobby. As a result, it took me a very long time to check in and get to my room on a Saturday afternoon.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:36 pm

Mods: Could this be made the Master Thread and added to the Master sticky?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:27 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Mods: Could this be made the Master Thread and added to the Master sticky?
The proper name for this hotel is The Westin Poinsett, Greenville.

How about these other SC properties for the sticky, too?...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html (It's marked as MT, but it's not in the sticky)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-now-open.html (Like the Sheraton, the location is actually North Charleston.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...y-reviews.html

In the sticky, the capital of SC should be "Columbia." "Colombia" is a country in South America.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:36 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sc flier
How about these other SC properties for the sticky, too?...

In the sticky, the capital of SC should be "Columbia." "Colombia" is a country in South America.
Good help is hard to find. The South Carolina section of the Master Thread has been updated.

South Carolina
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:56 am

Thank you very much SanDiego1k ^
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR (Gold for Life), AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinun
Currently checked in for 5 nights and stay regularly, as a Plat upgraded to a Junior Suite which is in the corner with a juliette balcony (does not open). Room is large, sitting area with sofa and large wing backed chair. Standard Plat amenities offered. I booked two rooms on a heavily discounted rate and both were upgraded. Additionally the hotel is full this week.

Lacks a pool, but a classic historic hotel in Greenville in the best part of town for restaurants. Sadly Restaurant O which used to be downstairs is now closed, however Sobys, Devereauxs and an amazing italian are 60 seconds walk.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:50 pm
Suspended

It's been two years since anyone has commented on this thread. From what I understand, this hotel has undergone some renovations (could be wrong). Any recent news on this place? I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Member with no status as of yet. Any chances on upgrading?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pricesquire
It's been two years since anyone has commented on this thread. From what I understand, this hotel has undergone some renovations (could be wrong). Any recent news on this place? I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Member with no status as of yet. Any chances on upgrading?
Your only chance of an upgrade would involve the hotel being oversold in your room category or rooms in your category not being available when you arrive (after check in time).
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Thanks for your assistance
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Just spent the night as a Gold, paid the Gov't rate. Friday night check-in, one night. Was upgraded to a nice executive suite.

Two rooms. Living room had a desk, sofa, flat screen TV. Nice comfy bed. Spacious bath.

I really like this property. Old hotels just have something newer ones miss.

Oh, downtown Greenville is a fun place to spend a day or two.

As an aside, I was a PLT last year. Completed my 10th stay in late December. This stay was my stay 10th for this year, hope to reach PLT again this year.

Last edited by Gamecock; Mar 24, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.