Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Burlington, Vermont [Master Thread] now Doubletree

[GONE] Sheraton Burlington, Vermont [Master Thread] now Doubletree

Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Arrow [GONE] Sheraton Burlington, Vermont [Master Thread] now Doubletree

I did not see a Master Thread for this property, so figured I would start one. I had a stay at the Sheraton Burlington just before New Year's. The stay itself was fine. Staff were pleasant, free breakfast was provided as a Plat perk, and we enjoyed Burlington itself (convenient to local attractions like Ben & Jerry's, Cabot Creamery, etc.). I was upgraded to a Deluxe Room during my stay, and am not certain whether this hotel has any "Standard" suites that would be eligible for Plat upgrades. They definitely have a "Presidential Suite," which I caught a glimpse of when it was being cleaned. It looked quite nice from outside the door, but I didn't have my camera with me at the time. I did manage to snap a few shots of my Deluxe Room, though:

Deluxe Room Bedroom

Deluxe Room Bedroom

Deluxe Room Bathroom

Deluxe Room Tub

It was a pleasant enough place to sleep for a few days. Primarily, we kept busy driving around the Vermont Countryside and taking in the sights. I believe this is the only SPG property that's close to Stowe/Smuggler's Notch, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to skiers. The mountains are only about half an hour away by car.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Thanks for this. Nice pics.

I'm planning a March trip to VT and will most likely go back to Stowe.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
ALCO --

Thanks for finally starting a master thread on this hotel. I've been staying here with some frequency for about 15 years now and it's a consistently good choice. The hotel is well run and the property is well maintained.

It's interesting to note that the core front of this hotel has been in place since at least the mid 1960s and was, at first, a motor lodge! Over the years, various changes were made, additions were tacked on and, eventually ballroom space was added. The photos you shared are of the newest section of the hotel and they all look about the same. The bathrooms were all redone last year and they turned out nice.

For Platinum Guests, you will be upgraded, automatically, to the Mansfield Club Floor (4th floor of new wing). It's kind of a hike from the front desk, but not terrible. The Club Lounge is open for breakfast with continental offerings and then again in the evenings (5:30 - 9, I think) with one hot snack and the standard cookies, veggies, cheeses, fruits and sodas. Cocktails and beer are available at bar prices.

On the whole, I think this is the sort of hotel that the Sheraton brand is aiming for. I really can't find fault with much at this hotel. If all Sheratons achieved what this hotel does, the brand would be much stronger.

Last note: you can basically forget the Presidential Suite. In 15 years, I've never gotten it and it's routinely assigned to long term quasi-residential guests (like software project folks on 6 month assignments). There is just one suite on site.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbtinme
ALCO --

Thanks for finally starting a master thread on this hotel. I've been staying here with some frequency for about 15 years now and it's a consistently good choice. The hotel is well run and the property is well maintained.

It's interesting to note that the core front of this hotel has been in place since at least the mid 1960s and was, at first, a motor lodge! Over the years, various changes were made, additions were tacked on and, eventually ballroom space was added. The photos you shared are of the newest section of the hotel and they all look about the same. The bathrooms were all redone last year and they turned out nice.

For Platinum Guests, you will be upgraded, automatically, to the Mansfield Club Floor (4th floor of new wing). It's kind of a hike from the front desk, but not terrible. The Club Lounge is open for breakfast with continental offerings and then again in the evenings (5:30 - 9, I think) with one hot snack and the standard cookies, veggies, cheeses, fruits and sodas. Cocktails and beer are available at bar prices.

On the whole, I think this is the sort of hotel that the Sheraton brand is aiming for. I really can't find fault with much at this hotel. If all Sheratons achieved what this hotel does, the brand would be much stronger.

Last note: you can basically forget the Presidential Suite. In 15 years, I've never gotten it and it's routinely assigned to long term quasi-residential guests (like software project folks on 6 month assignments). There is just one suite on site.
I would agree with your assessment - this is a solid hotel. It's not a Four Seasons or a Mandarin Oriental, but I'm not exactly expecting that when staying at a Sheraton. I also found the free weekend breakfast buffet to be quite good. It was one of the better breakfast spreads I've experienced at any hotel (with only Park Tower Buenos Aires and Le Meridien Munich topping it in terms of variety and quality).
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:55 am

I tend to agree.

But it is what it is. Having now had a chance to experience the Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, just a couple hours down the road, I would a had time hard not going back to Manchester Village rather than Burlington for my next long weekend in Vermont.

Still, the Burlington Sheraton serves its purpose, so no complaints here.

Cheers,
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just had a great stay at this hotel. Because it was Friday night, the lounge was closed. At check-in, we were offered coupons for appetizers in the bar, and then breakfast for two for the next morning.

Plus the hotel was pet friendly (pets welcome and no mandatory clean-up fee). ^

I would highly recommend this hotel, and would definitely stay here again if in the area. It was my first visit to Burlington, and I loved the downtown area.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Had my second stay here this weekend. Unlike the first time, when I was there on a weekday and the small but quaint lounge was open for breakfast, this time it was a weekend and the lounge was closed.

At check-in I was assigned a regular room on the Club floor (4), but not offered any breakfast certs until I asked for them. Somewhat reluctantly, the front desk agent then issued me a coupon for "eggs any style" on Sunday morning.

The room itself was okay, although I was a bit disapoointed that they gave me one facing into the inner courtyard (e.g. no real outside window).

In the morning, I went to the restaurant for my "eggs any style", but the super-friendly waiter just said that I should help myself to whatever I wanted from the full Sunday brunch instead. ^

Overall, a good stay at a decent price.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Stayed at this hotel recently with Mrs. Plumber and 3 little Plumbers (Ages 15, 8 and 4). We did a Friday thru Sunday stay on points.

The hotel is nice. . When we arrived, there was nothing available for early check-in on the Club Floor, so we stayed in a standard (2 x double beds) room.

There have been some negative reviews of this hotel on another site, though we found those issues (smelly rooms, old rooms, dirty rooms) to be non-issues for us.

The lounge was closed on the weekend, so as a Platinum, we were offered a free appetizer at the bar and free breakfast in the restaurant for all 5 of us...this included the wonderful Sunday Brunch. Breakfast was great both days.

The pool area is nice- the kids really enjoyed it- though there is no hot-tub. The fitness area is good as well, with 3 treadmills, a weight machine and some free weights, amont other things.

Parking is abundant and free

Overall, a good stay and a good hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
Nice property, good stay

I stayed at this property last week and had the same room as the original poster. Nice enough, a bit of a strange layout with the bed at an angle (not a big deal normally, but we had two bicycles in the room which made it a bit tight; although definitely doable).

The property was nice, nothing spectacular, but clean, good service (some delays in checking in due to an onslaught of folks at the same time, but that happens).

The lounge is open 7 days for breakfast, but only during the week (Sun-Thurs I think) for evening appetizers. Probably above average selection for North America (for the evenings, AM was standard contintental fare).

As others have said, location is nice; walking distance from U of VT, probably walking distance from downtown if you really want to (~2 miles) although we drove it. Close to Burlington area attractions (obviously).

If I'm in the area I'll stay again.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
I'm considering using points for a reward stay here and am having second thoughts due to recent posts on bedbugregistry.com concerning this hotel.

http://bedbugregistry.com/hotel/VT/S...ference-Center

Since a couple of these posts are from the past 3 months (one is from just over a week ago) I am hesitant to stay here anytime soon. There are also some posts about bedbugs, cleanliness issues and other red flags on Trip Advisor, with no responses from hotel management.

Could someone please reassure me that this is a property worth burning points at? Are there particular rooms in a better section, possibly that have been remodeled or updated? I stayed at this hotel years ago and recall it declining in quality as the years passed. But most of the recent reviews here on Flyertalk appear to reflect otherwise.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by touringuy
I'm considering using points for a reward stay here and am having second thoughts due to recent posts on bedbugregistry.com concerning this hotel.

http://bedbugregistry.com/hotel/VT/S...ference-Center

Since a couple of these posts are from the past 3 months (one is from just over a week ago) I am hesitant to stay here anytime soon. There are also some posts about bedbugs, cleanliness issues and other red flags on Trip Advisor, with no responses from hotel management.

Could someone please reassure me that this is a property worth burning points at? Are there particular rooms in a better section, possibly that have been remodeled or updated? I stayed at this hotel years ago and recall it declining in quality as the years passed. But most of the recent reviews here on Flyertalk appear to reflect otherwise.

We stayed there in May 2010; we were in the old section and it was pretty bad. It looked like an old concrete motel, it was musty and dirty, and the room service was awful.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Anything new and exciting here?

Sounds like I will not be getting my suite upgrade
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by etsmyers
Anything new and exciting here?

Sounds like I will not be getting my suite upgrade
Nothing new to report here. I stay here with some frequency and you can absolutely FORGET a suite here. They have only one and it's out of inventory 99.9999999999991% of the time. Seriously, out of inventory for like the last decade - maybe more.

Club floor rooms are plenty comfortable, I think. I always sleep very well at this hotel. Morning concierge hostess is excellent. Hotel corridor carpets are approaching 20 years old and look terrible -- slated for replacement this winter along with some other room furnishings.

Overall, this is a well run hotel in a good location. It's not a fancy place, but a solid Sheraton. As Plat, you'll be upgraded to the Club Floor with no worries.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
any recent stays

debating between here and the Holiday Inn Express in So. Burlington for an upcoming trip. Normally Sheraton wins hands down but not so sure reading these reviews and others online. Both north of $200 and for that price, HIX seems to be better value, plus cinnamon rolls at breakfast
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:41 pm

I'm here now and the property is in the very initial phases of a total property renovation. Frankly, it hasn't really begun in earnest just yet. I think they have 20' of new hallway carpet laid on the 4th floor and that same area has new wallpapering.

The club lounge was totally redone (and looks great) this past winter/spring.

Outside of those areas (and the room bathrooms), this property hasn't seen a good remodel or refresh in about 15 years - perhaps longer. It's overdue.

What I'm seeing of the initial remodel areas look fantastic, but the job won't be completed until this winter ... perhaps into 2014.

If you can get the HI for a great rate, go for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.