Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Will the 50% off award for plats be repeated in 2009? William does not know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Will the 50% off award for plats be repeated in 2009? William does not know

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
do we need to beg some more ?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Last year I had an email some considerable time after the offer was released. My tip is if the offer is available then call and check with the Plat Concierge if you can make a booking. If you wait until you receive notification then you may miss a significant chunk of the window of availability.
I had this same issue last year. I received the email about the 50% off award with only about 10 days remaining to make a reservation. I ended up not being able to use it before the booking deadline.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...ff-redemption/
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: * A
FT is there to help those who don't get the email on time . If you subscribe to this thread, you'll know when the promotion is offered and a quick call to the conceirge will confirm you'r eligibility. Good luck and I can't wait to get the 50 PRG for 2009!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I'm 17 days until Ft. Lauderdale...any chance we will see this prior to the 19th?

PLEASE!!!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I'm 17 days until Ft. Lauderdale...any chance we will see this prior to the 19th?

PLEASE!!!
If SPG has not contacted you directly about this, as mentioned previously, then I think we can assume one of three things:

1) they are not going to offer it at all
2) they might offer it later in the year
3) they aren't offering it to you personally (nothing personal)

That being said, the message is the same as it was last week:

I don't know, and since 50 POR (PRG) was a gift to select Platinum members and not an annual promised benefit, Platinum members should not assume anything or make any plans regarding it until they receive direct information about it from SPG.

And, it is very likely to be the same answer next week and the week after and the week after... ad nauseum

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
If SPG has not contacted you directly about this, as mentioned previously, then I think we can assume one of three things:

1) they are not going to offer it at all
2) they might offer it later in the year
3) they aren't offering it to you personally (nothing personal)

I don't know, and since 50 POR (PRG) was a gift to select Platinum members and not an annual promised benefit, Platinum members should not assume anything or make any plans regarding it until they receive direct information about it from SPG.

And, it is very likely to be the same answer next week and the week after and the week after... ad nauseum

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Sorry William, I didn't realize you had answered it in the past...I'm lazy about reading up thread...thanks for the response...now I need to find another place to stay...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
...And, it is very likely to be the same answer next week and the week after and the week after... ad nauseum

Best regards,
William R. Sanders
getting a lot of PM's, are we? Unusually touchy subject?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by SportsTech
getting a lot of PM's, are we? Unusually touchy subject?
Whether he is getting PMs or not, the onslaught of 'any news?' messages in this thread would be enough to try the patience of a Saint.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Although I did not take advantage of the offer last year it was a very good promo. Now, all of you that are begging......keep in mind that SPG will offer it to help bump reservations in times when the bookings would be low otherwise hence even if they do offer it that doesn't mean it will be of benefit to your particular itinerary.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
While having this promo again would be nice, I keep reminding myself it is only a promo -- not a guaranteed benefit of being SPG Platinum. Promos come and go. Even this one has not been offered every year I've been Plat. No one should have an expectation it will be.

I think that's what William has been politely trying to say, multiple times.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
While having this promo again would be nice, I keep reminding myself it is only a promo -- not a guaranteed benefit of being SPG Platinum. Promos come and go. Even this one has not been offered every year I've been Plat. No one should have an expectation it will be.

I think that's what William has been politely trying to say, multiple times.
It's as if SPG handed out a bunch of free crack.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
No but when SPG give it out year after year...

Originally Posted by lambrettaStarr
It's as if SPG handed out a bunch of free crack.
...you have a level of expectations. I have used this promo every spring for the last 3 (maybe its 4) years. I am holding off booking until there is a yea/nay from SPG. I doubt I am the only one who is doing so. This is the best promo that SPG does every year, and is one of the main reasons for loyalty. If this is discontinued I believe I will at a minimum rethink who I get my platinum status with.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
So much drama over this. It is not the greatest promotion ever. Nice sure, but not something to expend so much time and energy fretting about. The Le Meridien promotions in 2007 and 2008 for me were much more valuable than the 50% off promo. As ithe 50% off promo only encompassed categories 1-5 and many of the nicer hotels last year moved up to categories 6 and 7, the choice for truly amazing experiences is very limited. 5 nights at the Sheraton in Rome for instance is nothing to get excited about--even with a 50% award discount. They are offering cash an points for much of the summer as it is. 4,000 points and $60 is not that much different than 5,000 points for a free night. One night free at the Westin, Eden, or St. Regis at current category levels would be of equal or even greater value than 5 nights for 25,000 points at the Sheraton. It is all relative.

If many hotels drop categories in March then everybody will get a discount as suddenly the 35,000 point peak category 7 hotel night goes down to 25,000 as a category 6 or the 20,000 night goes down to 12,000.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:12 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I wasn't able to use it last year. I expect to be able to use it this year and in the survey gave it high ratings. Only patience will yield an answer but meanwhile I'm making the bookings I need. I'd rather try to rebook than to end up not being able to get the properties I want at all.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:30 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by HomerJ
... I am holding off booking until there is a yea/nay from SPG. I doubt I am the only one who is doing so. ...
In the past, I believe it has been permitted, and quite simple to arrange, to convert an existing award reservation to a 50% off one once the award is active and your account shows that you're eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.