Washington DC *wood near new Gaylord Hotel

Old May 29, 2008, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
Washington DC *wood near new Gaylord Hotel

Does anyone know which Starwood is closest to the new Gaylord. I have a convention late January, first week of February. Also how far from each property to a metro station. Thanks!!!
Old May 29, 2008, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
There are various ways to search.
  1. go to www.spg.com
  2. click on "search options"
  3. click on address
  4. enter address

You can then search by address

You can also use a site like google or yahoo which will/should show you metro stations.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:35 pm
DH

Originally Posted by travelingtireman
Does anyone know which Starwood is closest to the new Gaylord. I have a convention late January, first week of February. Also how far from each property to a metro station. Thanks!!!
New Westin is located at the National Harbor but no nearby metro station. You are going to need ride to Green line stations. BTW, SW DC is not the desirable area though
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3027

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
Old May 30, 2008, 4:16 pm

I had to do the same thing about a few weeks ago for a conference at the Gaylord. The closest SPG is the Sheraton Old Town suites.
It's about 10 minutes from the 495 and then it's the first exit off of the freeway on the other side of the Potomac. For my conference, it would take me about 12 minutes, door-to-door.

I hope your conference goes better than mine. The Gaylord was BRAND NEW and we were one of the first people to use the conference center and that was made very apparent by the way the hotel operated. Also, VERY LIMITED (and expensive) dining options on-site.
Old May 30, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
Which confrence were you with. Saturn was the first confrence and I know first hand of all the issues. I actually was onsite during the soft opening as I setup the electronic display boards at each room and the directory boards.

Behind the scenes was pure chaos. Things were not going smooth at all and I can tell you that more then one department manager was fired that week.

The national harbour development will have many more options for hotels/shopping/dining as the other properties are finished.

There is a ferry service to old town alexandria, mt vernon and national statdium.
Old May 31, 2008, 5:38 am

Westin National Harbor is now open

Everyone,

The Westin National Harbor is now open, which is right by the Gaylord.
Old May 31, 2008, 8:36 am

There's also the new (1 year old or so) Westin Alexandria near the King Street Metro. From King Street, there's a free trolley to the Alexandria waterfront and a ferry over to National Harbor.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Will I need a car if I stay at Westin National Harbor and go back and forth to the convention at the Gaylord. Also, are the ferrys an option to go to DC in February? Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by travelingtireman
Will I need a car if I stay at Westin National Harbor and go back and forth to the convention at the Gaylord. Also, are the ferrys an option to go to DC in February? Thanks for the feedback.
you do not need a car, it is right there
Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Smile

Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: none
Question

I am coming to a convention at Gaylord Center in early October. I can't find rooms at the Gaylord or any of the Hotels within walking distance. I will most likely have a car.

I found a Holiday Inn Express in Camp Springs. Does anyone know what is Camp Springs like? Has anyone stayed there? I am assuming that it is Ok since it is very close to Andrew Airforce Base..

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/...q-_-ex-_-wasmd

Also, I heard that the drive from Alexandria,VA can be time consuming because of the Beltway traffic. Is the Beltway traffic bad in the mornings and if it is, East, West or bothways?

Is there a ferry across the Potomac River to National Harbor? How often deos it run in October? Can I park my car by the ferry and how much does it cost?..

Sorry, I didn't mean to bombard you with so many questions but waited too long to make reservations, so I need help. Please, give ANY information that would be helpful. Thanks..
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:45 am

I am coming to Gaylord Center for a convention early October. I have waited too long and can not find a room at the Gaylord or any other hotel within walking distance.

Alexandria area seems like a good choice but what travel options do I have from there?. I might have a car but I don't want to depend on that. I hear there is a ferry to National Harbor from Alexandria. How often does it run in October? Can I leave my car by the ferry, if so how much does it cost?

Also, what is it like in and around Camp Springs. Is it a safe area? I am assuming that it is because of it's approximity to Andrews Airforce Base. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Camp Springs I might be interested in. If I have to drive, it looks like the drive from Camp Springs might be a better option then the drive from Alexandria..

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks..
Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am coming to a convention at Gaylord Center in early October. I can't find rooms at the Gaylord or any of the Hotels within walking distance. I will most likely have a car.

I found a Holiday Inn Express in Camp Springs. Does anyone know what is Camp Springs like? Has anyone stayed there? I am assuming that it is Ok since it is very close to Andrew Airforce Base..

WILL USE CAPS TO ANSWER. DO NOT STAY IN CAMP SPRINGS. ONLY FAST FOOD, NOT THE BEST OF NEIGHBORHOODS. THE AIRBASE HAS ARMED GUARDS, SO IT IS SAFE.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/...q-_-ex-_-wasmd

Also, I heard that the drive from Alexandria,VA can be time consuming because of the Beltway traffic. Is the Beltway traffic bad in the mornings and if it is, East, West or bothways?

DO NOT STAY IN ALEXANDRIA. THE TRIP OVER MAY ONLY TAKE 15 MIN, MAY TAKE 45 THERE IS AN ACCESS FROM NH TO THE BRIDGE, SO RETURN SHOULD TAKE ONLY 15 OR SO MIN

Is there a ferry across the Potomac River to National Harbor? How often deos it run in October?
CHECK THE NH WEBSITE.
Can I park my car by the ferry and how much does it cost?..

THERE IS PUBLIC LOT PARKING IN ALEXANDRIA NEAR WHERE I THINK THE FERRY DEPARTS.

I DID NOT KNOW THE FERRY WENT TO THE NATIONALS BALL PARK.

Sorry, I didn't mean to bombard you with so many questions but waited too long to make reservations, so I need help. Please, give ANY information that would be helpful. Thanks

STAY DOWNTOWN. THE TRIP OUT FROM DC TO NH IN THE MORNING IS SHORT, FAST AND EASY. THE RETURN TRIP TO TOWN IS ALSO EASY.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:26 am

Thanks Slawecki....

The Motel In Camp Springs is very reasonable, only $115/night. It is the cheapest I could find. Can you suggest another Hotel or Motel close to the Gaylord Center?..
Old Aug 22, 2008, 1:53 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Sailing times for the Alexandria ferry are probably not ideal for conventions; hourly from about 11AM-11PM. However, it's scenic.
http://www.potomacriverboatco.com/newtaxi.php

You can also stay in DC, take Metrorail to Southern Ave, and connect to a bus that runs from 6AM-11PM, about every 25 minutes.

Or you could drive, but you'll almost invariably have to deal with legendary Beltway traffic. (The one exception is if you're staying at, say, Capitol Hill and can use the Anacostia, but that would be even more expensive.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.