Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Stayed there for 1 night on 1/1.
Only 3 lower floors are open (10-12 I think) but other than that everything is operational. Taxi drivers probably won't know where the place is so make sure you have the address and directions.

A mix of new staff with transferrees from ROS and other BKK hotels. Everyone is very friendly but still somewhat inexperienced.

Every floor has 16 rooms and 2 suites at least the open ones. Rooms are a bit smallish but very modern with quite a bit of W feel to them. Overall the hotel fells like a mix of W and some modern european design. .

Despite suite availability on the website I was told (with numerous apologies) that something was broken in it therefore I could not get an upgrade.
I pointed availability on the website, but according to them the system was not updated properly and later on when we got back to the room there was a bottle of champagne with an apology letter. Oh well, next time perhaps..

Plats get free drinks and some bar appetizers between 6 and 7 pm, free breakfast buffet (which is quite impressive both food- and presentation-wise) and free internet.

Pool is small with just a few chairs and cabanas. Spa looks nice but severely overpriced especially considering that Westin's spa has 50% off all services until jan 5. Hotel restaurants are quite interesting - I ordered a couple signature dishes from room service menu and liked them.

I am not a big fan of hotel's location (at least for my touristy relaxing purposes). From what I understand there is a lot of development planned in the area but for now just a few steps away from the main street will lead you to countless "ping pong" shows, "massage" parlors and rather creepy old guys with young thai boys and girls. It didn't bother me but if you plan to come with the family keep this in mind.

Overall an interesting new hotel which, once it fully opens, will probably get even better. If you are into modern design it's definitely worth visiting. I'll try to upload a few pics later once I get back.

Here are the pics:

Last edited by azepine00; Jan 15, 2009 at 1:08 am Reason: added pics
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: northwest, united, marriott, starwood
Thanks for the recap. I will be staying there Jan 9-12. Is anyone aware of whether or not there is a dedicated club lounge level?

I see that plats get the special perks, but not sure if that meant on a dedicated floor or a voucher system at one of the restaurants.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
I have two upcoming 1-night stays booked here in Feb/March. Got "candled" for a November stay earlier...

Anybody inquired about the Plat benefits here? I sent them an email and will post the reply here.

Don't really mind any location and ROS/PA is currently quite a bit cheaper for my dates.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 7, 2009 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
I posted in the pre-opening thread and didn't see the above report. Thanks for the info, I just got a reply from them and basically exactly what the OP reports.

I think I'll keep the other stay here but move the other to ROS (THB3000 vs THB 5500 rate).

SPG Platinum benefits

- VIP Treatment

- 4 pm late check out ( subject to availability )

- Daily breakfast at Latest Recipe at designated area

- Creative hour from 17.30 – 18.30 Hrs

- Two pieces pressing service upon arrival

- Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel

- Upgrade to suite ( subject to availability )
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BTW cash&points rate was available there when I called SPG but it wasn't listed on the website.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by LH747FTL
I posted in the pre-opening thread and didn't see the above report. Thanks for the info, I just got a reply from them and basically exactly what the OP reports.

I think I'll keep the other stay here but move the other to ROS (THB3000 vs THB 5500 rate).
Oh well.

- 4 pm late check out ( subject to availability )
As we all know it is NOT subject to availability. It is a guaranteed platinum benefit.

I will probably swing by for one night next month when I am in Bangkok to check the hotel out, although I don't think that they can capture my business away from SGS and IC.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I stayed there Monday night to try it, after 3 nights at Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit.

1) No upgrade to suite - ( Told no suites available) ( After 3 nights in 2 room suite at SGS)
2) Room is smaller than standard SGS room.
3) Water pressure in shower was insufficient to rinse the shampoo out of my hair,
and the shower did not drain properly, leaving pool of water on the floor.
4) I prefer the location of SGS in regard to access to transport - SGS ( and Westin)
are 2-3 minutes from Skytrain and subway; while LM is a good 15 minute walk.
5) No lounge - evening drinks are in the bar, and snack is served at table - no choices
and no re-fills.
6) I checked out too early to comment on their breakfast.
7) Wifi, while free, was very weak signal and very, very slow.
8) The only thing that I enjoyed - all the staff seemed to have been selected from a
beauty contest. While I was checking in, there were 5 very attractive young
ladies manning the reception area. But level of English did not seem very proficient.

Bottom line, I will continue to stay at SGS, and, if I need to do a mattress run,
will alternate at Westin or St. Regis. I will not be back.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:51 pm

Good to know.

I had a feeling the TripAdvisor reviews were bogus.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sorry, but I'm going to have to swing things back into the positive region. You guys shouldn't quit on a hotel so soon. I am sitting in a huge corner suite on a free night stay. The Wifi works perfectly well here. The bathroom is one of the best of any hotel I've been to in the world (and I've been to the best). I am very impressed so far. More later.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry, but I'm going to have to swing things back into the positive region. You guys shouldn't quit on a hotel so soon. I am sitting in a huge corner suite on a free night stay. The Wifi works perfectly well here. The bathroom is one of the best of any hotel I've been to in the world (and I've been to the best). I am very impressed so far. More later.
Really???

I've been looking for a hotel in BKK next month and wanted to get out of my usual JW Marriott rut.

How many Starpoints did you redeem, and did you get the suite because you're SPG plat?

Also, are the upper floors still closed off? Is there a lounge? And how far is the Skytrain?

Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
OK, here's more. The pool, on a 6th floor open air deck, is a bit small, but the deck itself is large enough with plenty of chairs in the sun. And there is a bar too. The gym is excellent and of course all modern. But I didn't see a steam room or sauna. Maybe those are in the spa area?

Back to the bathroom. It's design is like the picture above, but in my suite (1024), it's much larger. There is a 10 foot long his and hers shower with a rainshower head (and hand nozzle) on each side. Two sinks as well. It has one of the best bathroom doors I have ever seen. It is thick, very solid and silently swings back into place as you walk in or out. That way, one person can sleep soundly while the other person goes in an out of the bathroom. Small detail, but one I really appreciate and very few hotel designers understand.

I have a nice view of the temple complex below, and since it's a corner suite I can see out the side of the hotel through windows on either side of the bed. I don't know if the upper floors are open yet, but I imagine the view of the temple would be better from above.

The breakfast was, in some ways, better than any other I've had in Thailand. Definitely the best croissants (of course with an LM!). Overall the Oriental is better of course, but the LM has a few small details that outshine it as well as the MO CNX. No restrictions for Platinums. Eat all you want, order omelets, etc. The selection is huge and it's all complimentary.

There are two large Philips flat screen TV's and a few video and audio input ports by the bed. Also a Philips DVD player and a Bose stereo. It is a very well designed room.

I stayed at the new W HKG last week and this hotel is very similar. The sensor keys and elevator access are exactly the same. Both hotels are terminally hip. And they are both pretty empty for the time being. I expect that in 2010, providing the politics don't spill over into tourist life again, that this hotel will be quite busy.

As said above, it is just across from the night market. That makes it quite easy to run your purchases up to your room and go back down again. A lot easier than the Westin or SGS in any case. I most often stay at either the Westin or the Oriental, but I would certainly consider the LM for future stays depending on price and availability.

My stay was not on points, but a LM free night from last years promo. And yes, I am SPG platinum and that is how I got the suite. I was offered 4pm checkout, two pieces of pressing and executive breakfast. Those last two items are NOT given to Plat's at the W HKG.

Also they have an opening celebration rate of 5,500 baht including 1000 baht F&B&spa credit, triple Starpoints and late check out. That is for anyone, not just SPG elites.

Yes the Skytrain is near, but I haven't measured how far. As said above, there is no lounge, but they have a cocktail thing in the bar during the evening. I checked in too late last night to try it.

Last edited by stimpy; Jan 18, 2009 at 8:29 pm
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:11 pm

OK, here's more....
Great report stimpy, thanks.

Enjoy your stay in BKK.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:32 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Great report stimpy!

My stay was not on points, but a LM free night from last years promo.
Can you remind me which promo this was? I recall some LM Amex promo but now realize that I probably earned something I don't recall. I really wish there was some way to see what I've earned in the various promos.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:49 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Can you remind me which promo this was?

Earn up to Four Free Nights at Le MERIDIEN: redeem by 3/31/09

You've got 2 months yet to redeem any nights you earned.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:18 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Earn up to Four Free Nights at Le MERIDIEN: redeem by 3/31/09

You've got 2 months yet to redeem any nights you earned.
If it's the Mastercard promo here, itappears to only have 10 days left to redeem, not 2 months. Or did I misread something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.